05 Sport build (Mid Life Crisis)

Just got a call from the shop. He said he found it . The joint in the drive shaft is bad. He said the case looked good and the shaft tested good on the machine but he rotated it and found it.
I couldn’t test it by pulling the rear cause the front auto locker wanted to push me in a ditch.
We’ll see.

That’s good news. I hope he’s not the type that finds one thing wrong, stops there and assumes everything else is ok. When I replace a ujoint on a driveshaft I rebuild the whole shaft since all the joints have the same mileage and what’s the point of pulling it again 3 months later.

I had a strange flutter sound that was due to a bad centering yoke on the rear driveshaft. It was especially bad on startup under load in 1st and 2nd, and with speed it quieted down but was still there. Sounds similar to yours.

Well I rebuilt the shaft about a year ago and remember that joint bind up. I bolted to the case and had to force it to free it up. I must of boogers it upThat’s good news. I hope he’s not the type that finds one thing wrong, stops there and assumes everything else is ok. When I replace a ujoint on a driveshaft I rebuild the whole shaft since all the joints have the same mileage and what’s the point of pulling it again 3 months later.

I had a strange flutter sound that was due to a bad centering yoke on the rear driveshaft. It was especially bad on startup under load in 1st and 2nd, and with speed it quieted down but was still there. Sounds similar to yours.

That’s good news. I hope he’s not the type that finds one thing wrong, stops there and assumes everything else is ok. When I replace a ujoint on a driveshaft I rebuild the whole shaft since all the joints have the same mileage and what’s the point of pulling it again 3 months later.

I rebuilt that shaft about a year ago chasing a vibration and I remember the joint bonded up and I had to force it to get it free to rotate. I must of boogered it up. That’s why I took it also to be checked.
Fin

i remember chasing a vibration and fixing it after rebuilding the rear drive shaft. I also remember it binding up on me and I had to force it into place.
I picked them up and he told me the cap was spinning in the yoke and knocking back and forth. I pray this fixes it. He also resealed the case and I hope that RTV don’t clog my pickup tube.

IMG_6467.jpeg

IMG_6468.jpeg

IMG_6469.jpeg

IMG_6466.jpeg

Last edited: