05 Wrangler major problem

mhrabosky

Hi, this is my first forum post. The main reason I'm here is because I've run into a bit of an issue with my 2005 Wrangler 6 speed. I had just shifted into 3rd gear when my transmission just kind of stopped working. I didn't hear a thud or anything, but it felt like it just kind of slipped out of place. A check engine light came on and all of my gauges; gas, temperature, oil pressure, rpms, battery, and speedometer went down to 0. So I pulled over, looked around, saw nothing wrong, and decided to start it again and see if I could drive it home. It started right up, all of my gauges were back to normal, the check engine light was off. I drove about a quarter of a mile and the same thing happened again, except this time the power steering went out, so I pulled over and called some friends to come take a look at it. The belt was on correctly, and I just put power steering fluid and oil in it, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with any of that stuff. My one friend is very knowledgeable about cars, but he looked around and didn't see anything wrong with it. I started it up again and it drove home without anything else going wrong.

It's driven with no problems until just recently. Only thing that I can think of that could have caused the problem was the other week I was doing some offroading, when my 4WD slipped out of 4lo and fell into neutral multiple times. I would give it gas and hear a loud, painful sounding thud every now and then and my 4WD would be back into neutral. Could this have caused my other problems? Did I do damage to my transmission or other components when this happened? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Boy! I can see no correlation between the transmission and the power steering! PS pump is driven from front belt assembly and tranny is off the back of the engine.

Wait you just shifted into 3rd and got a transmission light. What type transmission do you have?

You may just have out of adjustment transfer case linkage. Need a bit more to go on here

Sorry, Need to make a correction. It was not a transmission light, it was the check engine light. My bad! Edited that info in the original post. Not the most experienced with this stuff! It's a 6 speed manual transmission. What other info would be helpful?

Still can't see a corelation between the symptoms and the power steering ubless the engine died. Sounds a lot like your TC linkage is out of adjustent and the gears are not quite catching. That might be the clunking you are hearing!

Still can't see a corelation between the symptoms and the power steering ubless the engine died. Sounds a lot like your TC linkage is out of adjustent and the gears are not quite catching. That might be the clunking you are hearing!
Thanks for the help!

Emailed a mechanic. I'll copy and paste his reply to see if this sounds right to you guys:

1- check battery for 12 volts

2- check alternator for 14 plus volts with all loads on, ac ,headlight radio etc...

3- if battery & alternator, next check the trans connector on transmission, for evidence of water in connector

4- the transmission module need a diagnostic scan to retrieve fault codes, because this event failure that happened will be recorded under pending code fault file and get me that fault code and post it back here , and i can help you further and be more accurate

the trans module & the connector at transmission is most probable cause but testing is needed

I do believe this would be sound advise IF you had an automatic transmission!

Sounds to me like the thing just shut off. Now, what would make it die, start up, and die again could be a bunch of things. I'd start with power and fuel.

When I'm driving, I also have my TJ's 1999 instrument cluster randomly crap out on me and the gage needles swing to zero. (Which means I have to turn the radio off and shift by sound and check my speed from what gear I'm in). But I've never had the power steering or transmission have issues.

That instrument cluster issue sounds like maybe it's a bad ground or some sort of bad connection. I would almost bet on it.

When the engine dies and the power steering pump stops turning, you have no power steering. If your on the highway at higher speeds you may not even notice if all you do is get over into the shoulder At lower speeds it's harder to turn and will def be noticeable especially if you need to turn hard like into a gas station or something while rolling.

Reactions: Chris