'06 Impact Orange LJR Build

Looks fantastic! Your rear CA's need lengthened a bit to center in the wheel well.
Yea, I spent some time today dialing in the axles and pinion angles and the rear lowers came out several turns to get the pinion angle set so that should help center wheels in the opening a bit better. I started by just centering the bump stops at full stuff.

Now the more I look at it with the 1.25" BL and the 4" Currie springs those 33" tires are looking pretty small LOL. I was worried that 4" might be a bit much and had considered trying the 3" Savvy/Currie springs. Really this is my initial starting point and the plan is to wheel it and see where things go from there. I guess the good thing is plenty of up travel with no fender mods. My wallet wasn't ready to dive in for gears and axle upgrades for the 35s just yet. I'm also already thinking ahead at upgrading the steering and likely a Vanco brake upgrade.

I need to sort out some rocker guards as I am not keen on reinstalling my old PSC Ricochet Rockers. Top contender is Savvy, but also looking at Genright and AtoZ. Anyone with some good ideas for the LJ?

I need to sort out some rocker guards as I am not keen on reinstalling my old PSC Ricochet Rockers. Top contender is Savvy, but also looking at Genright and AtoZ. Anyone with some good ideas for the LJ?

While I do like some PSC products, I do not like the Ricochet sliders.

The savvy and JCR appear kind of cheap with the "screw on" steel slider that attaches to the base. Maybe I'm missing something. Why wouldnt they weld it on? Are people really going through mutiple steel sliders? Also very $$$ since the base and slider are sold separately. Differnt strokes for different folks.

A few companies I really like are :

Motobilt, GenRight, and Warn.

I love the minimal look (old school, classic ) the Warn rock sliders provided for one of my on going YJ projects and I added my own DOM tube with the bender that I migged along the lower half for a even better look. I added a sandwhich for the tub to prevent wrinkles which is the new go to. I will get you some better pics of the Warn sliders next time I am in that area where I keep it.

IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: cramil and JMT
While I do like some PSC products, I do not like the Ricochet sliders.

The savvy and JCR appear kind of cheap with the "screw on" steel slider that attaches to the base. Maybe I'm missing something. Why wouldnt they weld it on? Are people really going through mutiple steel sliders? Also very $$$ since the base and slider are sold separately. Differnt strokes for different folks.

A few companies I really like are :

Motobilt, GenRight, and Warn.

I love the minimal look (old school, classic ) the Warn rock sliders provided for one of my on going YJ projects and I added my own DOM tube with the bender that I migged along the lower half for a even better look. I added a sandwhich for the tub to prevent wrinkles which is the new go to. I will get you some better pics of the Warn sliders next time I am in that area where I keep it.

That is a pretty sweet YJ!
I'm definitely looking at the Genright stuff. The Savvy is a stainless rail bolted on to the aluminum base so welding would be problematic. I like how much it is tied into the tub and it includes a beefy aluminum backing plate. They are a pretty penny, but the Genright stuff isn't cheap either.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Finally got all the little things tidied up. Got the Bilisteins installed, chopped the front spring perches, reinstalled the front d/s, centered the steering wheel and did my best to get the toe-in dialed in. Nobody mentions that it is pretty much impossible to measure at the back of the tire with the control arms and driveshaft in the way. I think it is close but steering seemed a little loose so gonna spend some more time on it. Measured for a new rear d/s (got 27" on the nose) although the stock one seems ok for now on the street. Oh and with no exhaust past the cat it is a little loud so need to get that sorted too

Add some rocker guards and you'll have one of the best looking LJ Rubicon's I've ever seen! BEAUTIFUL!

Love that you kept the stock Moab wheels (I kept mine too), and I love that it's tastefully done up. No LED light bar, no LED light cubes, no Metalcloak fenders. Just a nice, clean, simple LJ Rubicon.

I'm a firm believer that all you need on these things is a lift, some bigger tires, a winch, a bumper, and that's about it. They look damn fine like that!

Wow! Looks awesome. All your hardwork is shining through. You are picking some very nice parts.

Speaking of, how impressed are you with the Bilsteins?
Really haven't formed an opinion on them yet. Only driven 20-30 miles in town. Definitely better than the worn stock ones. We'll see once I get a few more miles on them and get them off the pavement.

Reactions: Chris
Awesome jeep! Definitely one of the best looking LJs I've seen! Whats that protruding from the spare tire? You may have mentioned this already, but i didnt catch it.
I think you must mean the handle that screws on to hold the spare in place. Not a fan of how it works and the plate that is held against the wheel. Gonna rework the carrier pivot and latch with the AtoZ Fab kit and at the same time going to put a standard plate with studs on there to replace that.

Reactions: Chris
I think you must mean the handle that screws on to hold the spare in place. Not a fan of how it works and the plate that is held against the wheel. Gonna rework the carrier pivot and latch with the AtoZ Fab kit and at the same time going to put a standard plate with studs on there to replace that.
Oh okay, yeah thats what I meant, I just havent seen something like that before.

Placed my order from Tom Woods for a new rear driveshaft. My Rubicon LJ with the Savvy TT, Brown Dog MML and the Savvy/Currie 4" lift measured out at 27". Wish i would have thought to get a before measurement on it. I was surprised how they come across as a pretty small operation considering how long they have been supporting the 4wd crowd and how popular they are. Will get some shots of it when it comes in.

Reactions: JMT and Chris