06 LJ auto won't start!

KickU2Sleep

This weekend while trail riding, I hit a bump and the jeep stalled out. Put in park and it fired right up. 2hours later hit another bump and it died and wouldn't fire up. No CELs. Towed to a friend's house and after some diagnosis, we decided the fuel pump was bad. Replaced it. Afterwards the jeep fired up and ran fine. Took an evening trail ride and about 100yrds from our cabin it died again an wouldn't restart. Had to be towed 2 hours home yesterday. I've checked/cleaned battery post connections. Ground connections too. I cut the power lines to the fuel pump and I'm getting 12v for 2 secs(normal). Tomorrow I'm going to pull the fuel line and see if I've got flow. Any other suggestions as to what may be causing this?

Also shot some either into the tb and it fired. Just won't run after the either is burnt. I've been trying all morning to pull the fuel line from the fuel rail and haven't had any luck. I have the small removal tool but it's being an ass.

Do you have voltage at the fuel pump? Could you have gotten a bad or shitty quality replacement?
I cut the wires half way down the frame rail and have voltage to there. I've checked everything I can think of at this point and plan on dropping the fuel tank tomorrow. Sucks that it's full of gas right now

This is a long shot, and may be a completely assinine comment, but due to the bump, could that have somehow knocked your distributer (OPDA) offline, and it could be X degrees off.

I say this because one time I brought my jeep into a jeep shop for a repair, and after the repair the guy told me the jeep kept stalling when he test drive it. Never stalled on me prior to bringing it to him, and he said he didn't know what is wrong. I brought it to a general mechanic who said my distributer was off and he corrected the angle/degrees (insert correct terminology) and the Jeep has run fine ever since. That was almost two years ago.

Mine doesnt have a distributor, it has a coil rail system. I have spark just not fuel from the pump.
You still have a cam position sensor and oil pump drive assembly where a distributor would have been. Something to check as skrelnik stated.

You still have a cam position sensor and oil pump drive assembly where a distributor would have been. Something to check as skrelnik stated.

Mine doesnt have a distributor, it has a coil rail system. I have spark just not fuel from the pump.

As Daryl indicated we have an OPDA, some call it a distributor, but mine was out of sequence and died at stop lights/low idle...just a thought

Ok really F'd up now. Dropping the tank I forgot to disconnect the line to the roll over valve and broke the top off. I can't find that part anywhere.

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1533821025678.jpg_1533821027312.jpeg

Ain't that the truth. Any idea what this is called I can't find one thats even close to it online

Could be the sending unit seal and locknut, or a combo of both, or even additional parts on top of both of them. Tough to tell what is broken so Google Mopar part number 52005389 to begin your quest.

Thanks for all the help. Got a replacement fuel tank at a jeep bone yard in Daytona for 150 he even credited me for some spare parts I brought with me. Super nice guy. Anyway, while getting the tank ready for reinstall I hooked a volt meter to my connector and no power.... Pulled the harness off the frame and shit!!!!! The power wire was pinched and broken. That would explain it stalling on hard bumps. I've definitely learned several lesson. Check the damn wires, and of course how to NOT remove a gas tank. On the bright side I have a spare fuel pump. And with that I'll end this rant. You guys were awesome in your suggestions just wish I wasn't a complete idiot. Enjoy your weekend

Not a complete idiot or even a partial one.
I’ve been a mechanic for 40+ years and in my experience, intermittent electrical issues can be some of the most difficult problems to diagnosis and repair. My heart used to sink when I had a “no start” work order and the vehicle started on the first try when I went out to the car.
Don’t be too hard on yourself. You were successful in the end and I’ll bet money ahead.

Reactions: bluewatersailor