WTB: 06 LJ Inner Shifter Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullski

TJ Enthusiast
I know it’s a HUUUUGGE long shot, but I would really like to purchase an inner shifter boot. If anyone has one I would be eternally grateful!

Reactions: DAsPNW06LJ
That looks like a slam dunk first line fix. Cheap, easy to find, easy to do, easy to re-do if necessary. What’s not to like? Appreciate the write-up.
Hope it works for you - only thing I'd do different is to have the tranny in neutral instead of 1st when positioning the new boot. Mine was in 1st, so 2nd et al pull more than I'd like at the topside.

Reactions: Artisan
Hope it works for you - only thing I'd do different is to have the tranny in neutral instead of 1st when positioning the new boot. Mine was in 1st, so 2nd et al pull more than I'd like at the topside.
Amazon will have the piece to me Thursday. I was wondering, when trimming to fit, do you think I could just cut a simple circle of the maximum diameter that will fit?

Amazon will have the piece to me Thursday. I was wondering, when trimming to fit, do you think I could just cut a simple circle of the maximum diameter that will fit?
I wouldn't as its longer than it is wide - both the new piece and where its going. It ain't rocket science - slip it over the gearshift stub, slide it down, and you'll see where you need to trim it.

I think mine was from rock auto. It was in the 120-140 range. I kept the old one to try to fix it the next time around.

Let me know how it works out. I used that 3M auto weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in place, but I figured that even if it lets go, the new boot is sandwiched between the old one and that goofy "splice lump" on the gearshift lever so it probably doesn't matter.

I found a similar idea to Zorba's on another forum and bought this:

Amazon.com: 1979-2004 Mustang Lower Shift Boot - Rubber with Metal Support Bracket: Automotive

My plan is to cut a matching opening out of old boot/plastic plate and attach this one to it, probably with pop rivets. Haven't done it yet though.
I actually had that part in-hand, and decided I didn't like it so I returned it. YMMV, if you make it work, I'd like to see it - it might be mo' bettah. I also tried a CJ shift boot - which might have been workable as well, but I ended up sending it down the road too.

I actually had that part in-hand, and decided I didn't like it so I returned it. YMMV, if you make it work, I'd like to see it - it might be mo' bettah. I also tried a CJ shift boot - which might have been workable as well, but I ended up sending it down the road too.

good to know. I haven't had time to even hold it up to the original boot so I haven't seen the prospects for how it will fit. Curious, was it the fit or the part itself that you didn't like?

I'll definitely put whatever I end up with in my build thread.

good to know. I haven't had time to even hold it up to the original boot so I haven't seen the prospects for how it will fit. Curious, was it the fit or the part itself that you didn't like?

I'll definitely put whatever I end up with in my build thread.
I think it was the fit - but it was months ago. What did I have for breakfast this morning again?

Status
Not open for further replies.