06 LJ Rubicon, upgrading to 35" tires and need reassurance with lug pattern choices

ORECART

Supporting Member
I've been running 33" tires with 15" rims for the last 4-5 years now but want to upgrade to 35" tires. I will be having my gearing changed to 4:56 (from stock 4:10) so might as well upgrade to chromoly axles while I'm at it. I'd like to move to 17" rims so that the Big Brake Kit will fit. So while I'll be buying new rims, Its been suggested that should I consider going with the newer 5 on 5 lug pattern on the new axles and rims... What do you all think? Any pro's or cons that I should consider? Thanks for responses.

For what purpose? If you change to a different wheel bolt pattern in the belief that it addresses a strength problem, will you also change how the unit bearings are attached to the steering knuckles or how the rear brake backing plates attach to the axle?

You aren't regearing low enough, btw.

Last edited:
I’ve not read of a single person having issues with the standard tj pattern and many of us run 35’s.

Reactions: L J
Unless he wants to run JK 17" wheels, then he won't need spacer/adapters.
However, new axles won't change the front.

I've been running 33" tires with 15" rims for the last 4-5 years now but want to upgrade to 35" tires. I will be having my gearing changed to 4:56 (from stock 4:10) so might as well upgrade to chromoly axles while I'm at it. I'd like to move to 17" rims so that the Big Brake Kit will fit. So while I'll be buying new rims, Its been suggested that should I consider going with the newer 5 on 5 lug pattern on the new axles and rims... What do you all think? Any pro's or cons that I should consider? Thanks for responses.

What’s the purpose of different axles? You can run 35’s on TJ Dana 30/44 combo on your LJ. Why 5x5? There are Big Brake Kits for 15’s, 16’s and 17’s.

Reactions: Plumber1 and L J
In reference to new axles, my only thought was that as long as the re-gear guy has my factory axles out, why not have him replace with stronger chromoly axles?
The thought 5 on 5 bolt pattern is have access to more widely available JK rims but its just a thought, certainly not locked into this...I didn't realize there was more to it as mentioned above (unit bearings are attached to the steering knuckles or how the rear brake backing plates attach to the axle).
I'm seeing a lot more options for big brake kits when running 17" rims, but good to know there are BB options for my current set up. Thanks for your help!

What do you all think?
4.88 or 5.13 for the manual. 5.38 for the auto. Revolution Gear and Axle chromoly axles. 17" aftermarket beadlock wheels with the appropriate backspacing. 17" big brake kit from mrblaine at Black Magic Brakes.

Reactions: Rickyd and JMT
In reference to new axles, my only thought was that as long as the re-gear guy has my factory axles out, why not have him replace with stronger chromoly axles?
The thought 5 on 5 bolt pattern is have access to more widely available JK rims but its just a thought, certainly not locked into this...I didn't realize there was more to it as mentioned above (unit bearings are attached to the steering knuckles or how the rear brake backing plates attach to the axle).
I'm seeing a lot more options for big brake kits when running 17" rims, but good to know there are BB options for my current set up. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, check out Black Magic Brakes for big brake kit.

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-Big-Brake-Kits-15-16-Super-16-and-17_c84.htm

Reactions: jjvw

Some guys think a different bolt pattern should be done to increase the strength of the attachment of the wheel to the axle. But they neglect every other bolted connection attaching the wheel to the axle.

It isn't that they need to do something to those other attachments. It's that these same people are clutching their pearls over the strength of five, six, eight wheel studs, but are forgetting that the three bolts at the unit bearing are still there and didn't change. So no strength problem was really solved because there wasn't a strength problem to begin with.

For yours and most of our purposes, any change to a wheel bolt pattern is typically just the result of running a desired or needed wheel and making that happen.

I run the BMB 16” brake kit in my 15” wheels, I have to make sure no balance weights are where the caliper is. Plenty of braking for 35” tires.

It isn't that they need to do something to those other attachments. It's that these same people are clutching their pearls over the strength of five, six, eight wheel studs, but are forgetting that the three bolts at the unit bearing are still there and didn't change.
I see your point, but the unit bearing bolts don't see the rotational torque that the axle and wheel see.
They don't really see any at all.

I see your point, but the unit bearing bolts don't see the rotational torque that the axle and wheel see.
They don't really see any at all.

You're right. Only the rotational braking force, steering forces, the weight of the Jeep and every single impact the wheels transfer into the axle. Three bolts on each side.