06 oil pressure gauge only goes to 1/2 way

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Been watching a few youtube vids on suspension upgrades and on the tests drives I have noticed all the oil pressure gauges go past half to 3/4 under load.
My 06 starts up and goes to half way and stays at half way on the gauge is there a problem?

Cheers

No, that's normal since it was reprogrammed in the early 2000's to only show only a mostly mid-scale indication so long as the real underlying oil pressure is where it should be. That was to stop the clueless from complaining about their oil pressure going up and down and refusing to believe their dealers who tried to explain that it was normal.

No, that's normal since it was reprogrammed in the early 2000's to only show only a mid-scale indication so long as the real underlying oil pressure is where it should be. That was to stop the clueless from complaining about their oil pressure going up and down and refusing to believe their dealers who tried to explain that it was normal.
Thanks Jerry I thought I read on here something about the later oil gauges were just an "Idiot gauge" but just got through a vid on an 06 where the gauge was going to 3/4 at over 3000rpm through the gears and my heart sunk to my stomach lol

my '06 oil pressure "gauge" moves between 1/2 at idle to 3/4 under high rpm

OK quick re visit! Today my 06 oil gauge started to go above half way at just under 3000RPM gear changes?
It doesn't quite make it to 3/4 but I also haven't been above 3000 RPM gear change. Once I change gear it goes back to half way. Not sure why it was fixed before? lower rev gear change perhaps?

Last edited:
On your 06 the computer is just moving the needle around relative to RPM. It has no correlation to the actual oil pressure as the "sensor" is just a switch that closes at 6 PSI or so. So, you have at least 6 PSI. Useless.

From the FSM:

Engine Oil Pressure Message - Each time the
cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating
the engine oil pressure of a 2.4L engine is above
about 0.2 kg/cm2 (3 psi), or of any engine other than
a 2.4L is above about 0.4 kg/cm2 (6 psi), the cluster
moves the gauge needle to the middle of the normal
range on the gauge scale to represent the engine oil
pressure. The gauge needle will continue to be positioned
at the middle of normal range on the gauge
scale until the cluster receives a message from the
PCM that indicates the engine oil pressure is low, or
until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position,
whichever occurs first.

Reactions: Fishtaco
The computer will move the needle around slightly with RPM. They went to a lot of trouble to make it look like a real gauge.

If you want to actually know the oil pressure, there are threads where people have teed a sending unit into the port and installed an aftermarket gauge. The older TJs have a real gauge. The giveaway is they have numbers on the gauge, not H or L.

I am extremely disappointed to learn this. It will take me a while to un-see the fake “gauge.”

Adding “add real oil pressure gauge”’ to the round tuit list I keep in the glove box, next item after after “install larger glove box.”