Front axle u-joints seized in axle on 2006 Rubicon

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Please tell me how to get these to break free from the axle yoke.

Thanks
AndyG

You can use a press like the Harbor Freight 20 ton press. Or you can use the press that is used for pressing ball joints out also. The ball joint press you can rent at most auto parts stores.

Couple of appropriate sizes sockets and beat like it owes you money. If you have a press or even a vise that works too. Hammer method has never failed me though.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
A press or vise makes it way too easy to bend the yoke or ears.

I'd have to say you stand a better chance of bending the ears with a hammer.

Now I'm old school and for years used a socket and hammer to get my u-joints out but then I learned to work smart not hard. A press setup properly is a way better way to press the u-joint out. IMHO of course.

We have it sitting under 4100 lbs, going to cut them with a grinder and press the ears out I think.

Typical used Rubi with 35” mud tires and no maintenance ...toe seemed elusive , the hub unit bearings had a combined play of 3/8-1/2 of play at the outer tire edge ...popping , noticed red dust at u joints , torn boots on linkage ,control arm bushings shot , one mangled c/a mount
Owners said it drove bad . Hmmm,ya reckon?

I just went thru this as well. I ended up taking the axels to a shop and they replaced them for me. I took it back home and installed. They used a ball joint press and a Milwaukee Force impact rated at 1400#s. Good luck, mine weren’t coming out with hammers, or the vice.

Reactions: reddvltj and AndyG
We have it sitting under 4100 lbs, going to cut them with a grinder and press the ears out I think.

Typical used Rubi with 35” mud tires and no maintenance ...toe seemed elusive , the hub unit bearings had a combined play of 3/8-1/2 of play at the outer tire edge ...popping , noticed red dust at u joints , torn boots on linkage ,control arm bushings shot , one mangled c/a mount
Owners said it drove bad . Hmmm,ya reckon?
How did your hub bearings look? I knew the joint was bad on mine, but when I removed the axle nut, the bearing let loose. I’m doing the other side this weekend for PM. I had no indication of the bad hub bearings.

You can use a press like the Harbor Freight 20 ton press. Or you can use the press that is used for pressing ball joints out also. The ball joint press you can rent at most auto parts stores.
Yes he can. Then he can get on here and ask how to spread the yokes back out to seat the snap rings in the grooves.

I'd have to say you stand a better chance of bending the ears with a hammer.
You can't cock the cap in the hole because it won't bind with a shock load. I've done more joints than I can remember. Never bent a yoke. I have also had several send me their shafts so I could straighten them back out after they fucked them with a press.

Now I'm old school and for years used a socket and hammer to get my u-joints out but then I learned to work smart not hard. A press setup properly is a way better way to press the u-joint out. IMHO of course.
You be you, I'll be me.