06 Rubicon No Locker Light On Dash

Ray662

Hello everyone! Google searches landed me here as this is my first Jeep!

06 rubicon with around 230k on the dash. I’ve tried all modes of 4WD, which work fine. When in 4 low I tried to engage the lockers to no luck.. tried moving a little.. s turns etc. nothing.. the switch has power. It lights up with the rest of the interior lights. I looked at the relays under the hood .. they seem fine.

Question.. could I have someone in the Jeep press the button and me be under with a test light on the harness looking for signal?

If not any other ideas?? Thanks so much!!

The locker compressors mounted just to the rear of the transfer case don't turn on either? Also, try moving the tcase shifter a tad up/down while you're in 4Lo to see if the tcase position sensor is just getting flakey.

Hello everyone! Google searches landed me here as this is my first Jeep!

06 rubicon with around 230k on the dash. I’ve tried all modes of 4WD, which work fine. When in 4 low I tried to engage the lockers to no luck.. tried moving a little.. s turns etc. nothing.. the switch has power. It lights up with the rest of the interior lights. I looked at the relays under the hood .. they seem fine.

Question.. could I have someone in the Jeep press the button and me be under with a test light on the harness looking for signal?

If not any other ideas?? Thanks so much!!
When you go into 4 Low, does the 4WD light on the dash turn on?

The locker compressors mounted just to the rear of the transfer case don't turn on either? Also, try moving the tcase shifter a tad up/down while you're in 4Lo to see if the tcase position sensor is just getting flakey.
No sounds or lights on dash other than the 4WD light.

Remove a fill plug and watch the locker.

No nothing is working no dash lights or compressors. Just wondering if I go disconnect the plug and test the switch is sending signal to actuate with a test light.

The switch sends a signal to the cluster. Assuming you're in 4 low and not speeding; the compressors should turn on and the locker light should flash. When the locker is fully engaged it sends a signal to change flashing light to solid.
Start at the switch.

Last edited:
the switch has power. It lights up with the rest of the interior lights. I looked at the relays under the hood .. they seem fine.
Lighting up with lights means nothing.
You're not looking for power.
The switch actually sends a ground signal (0v) to the cluster.

Last edited:
Ah so how would I go about trouble shooting the switches and pumps?
You could pull the locker relays and jumper power directly to the compressors to confirm they work.
Pin 2 to 8 and/or pin 10 to 14. (FSM 8W-31-10)
For the switch, you need access to the back of the switch. Make a jumper attached to ground. Then pierce or strip the VT/LG wire (for front) and/or VT/DB wire (for rear). Putting a ground signal to those should send the enable and ground the relays that turn on the compressors. (FSM 8W-31-12)
Basically, you're making a locker mod switch.
This bypasses all the safety features, so it can be done without being in 4 low and at any speed.

Last edited:
You could pull the locker relays and jumper power directly to the compressors to confirm they work.
Pin 2 to 8 and/or pin 10 to 14. (FSM 8W-31-10)
For the switch, you need access to the back of the switch. Make a jumper attached to ground. Then pierce or strip the VT/LG wire (for front) and/or VT/DB wire (for rear). Putting a ground signal to those should send the enable and ground the relays that turn on the compressors. (FSM 8W-31-12)
Basically, you're making a locker mod switch.
This bypasses all the safety features, so it can be done without being in 4 low and at any speed.
Great information! I’m guessing all this can be done sitting still? Just trying to see the best approach.. have wife press button while I’m under hood? Jack stands?

Great information! I’m guessing all this can be done sitting still? Just trying to see the best approach.. have wife press button while I’m under hood? Jack stands?
Correct; they can be done sitting still, engine not running. At this point were just trying to get the compressors to run, bypassing the switch and the other enable signals.
All you have to do is listen for the compressors.
I'm more accustomed to following the wiring diagram. Maybe someone else can suggest a simpler way to test.

Last edited:
Correct; they can be done sitting still, engine not running. At this point were just trying to get the compressors to run, bypassing the switch and the other enable signals.
I'm more accustomed to following the wiring diagram. Maybe someone else can suggest a simpler way to test.
Thanks

My Rubicon's lockers weren't working when I bought it. And even though schematics and wiring issues are not difficult for me, I bypassed all of the factory locker wiring and switch and replaced it with my own rather than spending days troubleshooting the problem.

The locker compressors are as easy to wire and control as a simple light bulb is, a pair of simple on-off switches. 14-16 gauge wiring, and a five amp fuse for each compressor is all you need.

Locker Switches 2.JPG

My Rubicon's lockers weren't working when I bought it. And even though schematics and wiring issues are not difficult for me, I bypassed all of the factory locker wiring and switch and replaced it with my own rather than spending days troubleshooting the problem.

The locker compressors are as easy to wire and control as a simple light bulb is, a pair of simple on-off switches. 14-16 gauge wiring, and a five amp fuse for each compressor is all you need.

View attachment 289415
So as far as the 2 terminal switches are they 2 or 3 prong? What wires were tapped? Did you go directly to the pumps?