06 TJ with P0204, P0300, and P0016 codes

sboarding

Hey everyone. I've been lurking since I bought my 06 TJ auto about a month ago. This forum has helped me fix a bunch of stuff and I'm grateful. I've had some lingering codes/issues that seem to be getting worse. Most recent is a P0204 Injector circuit. I really don't want this to be a pcm, but I dont think it could be much else. I have an alldata account and ran all the tests I could. before it started with the p0204, I had the p0016, and (sometimes) a p0300 code. It looks like the opda was replaced with a dorman, which has a very small amount of shaft wear (cam has matching wear). I did the TDC compression and realigned the holes. The code was gone for a few days driving around town, then popped back up while accelerating hard getting on the highway. I don't know if these things can be related or not - if the opda is ok and the cam signal is bad from the pcm. I've performed a variety of tests and come up with either a short to ground (wire has continuity from pcm harness to the injector) or the pcm has a short. Anyone else experience this - or anyone have experience with the pcm rebuilding services? Thanks for your time everyone!

First thing I would do is make certain the cam sensor in the Dorman OPDA is genuine Mopar. There’s known issues with the sensor Dorman provides.

First thing I would do is make certain the cam sensor in the Dorman OPDA is genuine Mopar. There’s known issues with the sensor Dorman provides.

X2. These vehicles are notorious for rejecting any sensor that isn't an OE Mopar sensor.

This isn't an opinion either, it's a fact.

I'd start there.

Thanks so much for the response. I think it's the dorman sensor, but I did buy a MOPAR & installed it, then got a hard start & p0340, so I took it out and put the old one back in. I think the new sensor was doa - but it seemed to me that it must have been ok since they code wasn't there before the new sensor.

Just a quick update - I got the new crown unit & installed it, my p0204 went away and it's running much better. I think a bearing in the Doorman was bad, it had a tick that I thought was a lifter or valve that went away after the new unit. I'm going to get an OEM sensor as well, probably from the dealer since the amazon sensors seem unreliable. It did pop a new code P0431 - could have fried the cat/O2 from running it with the misfires though. I'll update as things get working properly. This forum as been amazing at sourcing the correct parts and information. Very much appreciated!

I have the same problem and the OPDA has been replaced 3 times with the Dorman brand. My 05 rubicon will work fine after the OPDA is re-installed but keeps going into a limp mode after 300 miles . please let me know if you find a solution.

could you please take a picture of how the OPDA and cam sensor sit in relationship to the engine?

I have the same problem and the OPDA has been replaced 3 times with the Dorman brand. My 05 rubicon will work fine after the OPDA is re-installed but keeps going into a limp mode after 300 miles . please let me know if you find a solution.

could you please take a picture of how the OPDA and cam sensor sit in relationship to the engine?

Still working on some things. New OEM sensor, install and get a hard start (5 seconds of cranking) and an immediate p0340 code. Aftermarket sensor in, no code, immediate start. Any guru's who say the sensor HAS to be OEM say anything about this? Does it have to be flashed or synced by the dealer?

Still working on some things. New OEM sensor, install and get a hard start (5 seconds of cranking) and an immediate p0340 code. Aftermarket sensor in, no code, immediate start. Any guru's who say the sensor HAS to be OEM say anything about this? Does it have to be flashed or synced by the dealer?

That aftermarket sensor will give you trouble eventually, guarantee it. Mine didn't on my OPDA at first, took about 50 miles and then it wouldn't go away (the code). So trust me... it's coming. So just drive it as it is, but when the light does come on for the sensor, be prepared to replace it with an OE sensor. If you happen to be the one guy who gets lucky and the aftermarket sensor doesn't give you any trouble, you'll literally be maybe 1 out of 100!

Nothing has to be flashed or synced though.

That aftermarket sensor will give you trouble eventually, guarantee it. Mine didn't on my OPDA at first, took about 50 miles and then it wouldn't go away (the code). So trust me... it's coming. So just drive it as it is, but when the light does come on for the sensor, be prepared to replace it with an OE sensor. If you happen to be the one guy who gets lucky and the aftermarket sensor doesn't give you any trouble, you'll literally be maybe 1 out of 100!

Nothing has to be flashed or synced though.

Yeah I get that, I've read hundreds of pages of forums to know it's an issue. Doesn't explain why with the aftermarket sensor I don't get the cam code (but do get misfire codes - may be unrelated), but the OEM I do get it immediately (and a hard start).

Yeah I get that, I've read hundreds of pages of forums to know it's an issue. Doesn't explain why with the aftermarket sensor I don't get the cam code (but do get misfire codes - may be unrelated), but the OEM I do get it immediately (and a hard start).

Yep, that’s really bizarre

New OEM cam sensor giving me this... Crank sensor is also new OEM
jeep sync.jpg

Quick update, I had the PCM flashed by the dealer with the MOPAR cam sensor installed. No CEL for now. Drives well, but still doesn't seem to be idling just right. Journey continues.

I'll post a picture tomorrow. I found an old receipt from a shop. The OPDA was replaced less than a year ago with a dorman at 87k miles (along with camshaft & oil pump). Just rolled 95k & the dorman was bad. I've read on a few threads dorman isn't the most reliable OPDA. The flash from the dealer did get the cam sensor to sync, you may want to go that route if you haven't already.

Sad update. I pulled the head, there is a crack between 3 & 4 cylinders. The gasket was blown out between the two causing low compression. It looks like a spark plug blew in the #4 because there was porcelain fused to the piston. The cylinder wall is a bit scored. The #3 is washed.

• Sad
Reactions: Jamison C

Pic of the OPDA & cylinder head:

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

So I replaced the engine. Drove it around for a day and it seemed to still be running great, but at idle it's still a little rough. Next morning I go to start it and it's a hard start. 5 solid seconds of cranking before it starts, immediately pops a P0340 code. At this point I'm at my wits end. No idea what could be going on with this thing.