06 X Build: A Little at a Time

You should be fine, I'm running the BDS 3"/2" spring combo and they netted 3" in front and 2 1/2" in the rear.

Great! I was kind of waiting to hear some input from someone who actually went w different lengths in the front and back before I committed...
Did you end up having to do an sye? or even a mml?

Reactions: JMT
I originally had a very minor vibration that went away after dropping the transfer case skid about 1/2" with some washers. A little later when I added the 1" body lift I installed a MML and was able to put the skid back where it belonged.

Reactions: JMT and 2006TJ1
So I recently realized that my spare tire set up is probably a ticking time bomb in that since I've had the full size spare, the tire hasn't been touching the rubber snubbers. I was reading about the fix that @Chris posted, but I feel like the tire is still way too far away for 1/2 of a snubber extension to even make contact.
20180708_121806.jpg

So then I looked closer and realized that there appears to be an extension on the spare mount... if that's even what that is?? I'm not sure what a stock mount looks like so I don't really know...
20180708_121916.jpg

Some might ask why I don't know if there's an extension if I put the tire on, but I am personal friends w the owner of a local tire/wheel shop, so he ordered me the tire/wheel and did everything for free. so I don't really know if they put an extension on bc he didn't charge me for anything and didn't mention any sort of extension...
anyway, now I just want to get it fixed before I tear up the hinges more than I already have

Last edited:
PS I do have a spare tire light mounted behind the tire which is what is wired up & yes that would push the tire out a little but it's maybe half an inch thick, probably closer to a quarter

That is definitely an extension. You should be able to take that extension off, which would put your tire a bunch closer to the rubber snubbers, as long as your tire will clear the bumper.

do 33s usually clear the bumper? I will try it later

Hit or miss. Sometimes depends on what type of bumper you have on there, what back spacing the wheel is, and how wide the tire is. My 33X1050X15 spare on a factory Canyon wheel with 5.5" BS and Olympic rear bumper barely fits, and that is with a 0.5" body lift. If it wasn't for my BL, it wouldn't clear the bumper.
20180330_135538.jpg

Hit or miss. Sometimes depends on what type of bumper you have on there, what back spacing the wheel is, and how wide the tire is. My 33X1050X15 spare on a factory Canyon wheel with 5.5" BS and Olympic rear bumper barely fits, and that is with a 0.5" body lift. If it wasn't for my BL, it wouldn't clear the bumper.
View attachment 46919
ohhhh wow I didn't even think of the body lift. I was looking at it earlier and was kind of confused as to why it wouldn't have fit but having thought about it now, I got the tire before i did the body lift. I'm sure it will clear now considering I have 1.25" of bl

I'm betting yours will clear fine then. Get that sucker tucked up to the snubbers before your spare becomes someone else's hood ornament.

Last edited:
So I recently realized that my spare tire set up is probably a ticking time bomb in that since I've had the full size spare, the tire hasn't been touching the rubber snubbers. I was reading about the fix that @Chris posted, but I feel like the tire is still way too far away for 1/2 of a snubber extension to even make contact.View attachment 46917
So then I looked closer and realized that there appears to be an extension on the spare mount... if that's even what that is?? I'm not sure what a stock mount looks like so I don't really know...
View attachment 46918
Some might ask why I don't know if there's an extension if I put the tire on, but I am personal friends w the owner of a local tire/wheel shop, so he ordered me the tire/wheel and did everything for free. so I don't really know if they put an extension on bc he didn't charge me for anything and didn't mention any sort of extension...
anyway, now I just want to get it fixed before I tear up the hinges more than I already have

You need an aftermarket tire carrier to bring it closer. I have one for sale that won't work with my 35s. PM me if you want it!

okay I just took some measurements and it looks like the extension is about 2.5 inches and there's about 2.5 inches between the snubber and the tire now so it should work out just fine as long as it clears the bumper

(almost) all better. just have to get some extensions...

also as a hidden bonus, I don't have to squeeze to get in garage anymore, I have an extra 2.5" of clearance.... we have our golf cart parked in front of my Jeep and together that still fits in the garage.... TJs really are THAT short
20180709_230702.jpg
20180709_230709.jpg

20180712_104414~2.jpg

anyone have experience tinting these? I can't stand them... I know it's probably illegal but I've seen too many trucks driving around GA w 10-15% windshield tint (I don't even understand how they see at night) to think that cops REALLY care that much. the only time I've ever heard someone cited for tint was when they got pulled over by state patrol for speeding & he tacked on a tint ticket...

Anyway, I know you can do film or spray, but I've heard that the spray never looks that great. I am just looking for some feedback...

Also, I was wondering if I need to get a brighter/different bulb to go in if I tint to make sure it is still visible when it lights up. If there is a major reason I shouldn't tint, please include it.

Last edited:
(almost) all better. just have to get some extensions...

also as a hidden bonus, I don't have to squeeze to get in garage anymore, I have an extra 2.5" of clearance.... we have our golf cart parked in front of my Jeep and together that still fits in the garage.... TJs really are THAT short View attachment 46949 View attachment 46950

I just cut some PVC pipe in the length needed, spray painted it black, and put it behind the snubbers. Works great

Last edited:
Reactions: 2006TJ1
View attachment 47192
anyone have experience tinting these? I can't stand them... I know it's probably illegal but I've seen too many trucks driving around GA w 10-15% windshield tint (I don't even understand how they see at night) to think that cops REALLY care that much. the only time I've ever heard someone cited for tint was when they got pulled over by state patrol for speeding & he tacked on a tint ticket...

Anyway, I know you can do film or spray, but I've heard that the spray never looks that great. I am just looking for some feedback...

Also, I was wondering if I need to get a brighter/different bulb to go in if I tint to make sure it is still visible when it lights up. If there is a major reason I shouldn't tint, please include it.

I haven't used these products specifically and I know they're not legal in a lot of states but products like these exists:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHDQAJE/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MI_6yb7aGb3AIVhuNkCh05LgOAEAQYAiABEgJOIPD_BwE
https://www.ebay.com/i/401565137174?chn=ps

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
View attachment 47192

Just buy these things:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHDQAJE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I see them all the time. As long as they flash orange hence the orange bulbs they come with, you're within the law.

You can see them just fine too with those orange bulbs.

I am getting hyperflash with my right blinker. does this mean anything? I haven't made any changes to any of my lights or bulbs so it can't be anything like that. I know LEDs can cause hyperflash but as I said, I haven't made any changes recently & don't have LEDs except for headlights. any help would be great, I don't really know what to start with to diagnose it.

I am getting hyperflash with my right blinker. does this mean anything? I haven't made any changes to any of my lights or bulbs so it can't be anything like that. I know LEDs can cause hyperflash but as I said, I haven't made any changes recently & don't have LEDs except for headlights. any help would be great, I don't really know what to start with to diagnose it.

Hyper flash happens when one of the blinkers isn't working. Kick it on, and check front and rear. My guess is a burned out bulb.

Reactions: Chris and Squatch