06 X Build: A Little at a Time

OP
OP
2006TJ1

2006TJ1

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If you find one let me know because I have yet to figure it out!

The last two (which have included two different axles) I have placed a light bead of RTV hoping to seal it but it still seeps out after several weeks. Looks similar to what you posted.
Yep. I think mine has been going on for a little while. This is the first time I've noticed the whole pumpkin getting soaked. I put some pipe sealer on the splines of the yoke, so I know there's no oil seeping out there, but of course the seal obviously isn't working.

Last edited:

Mike_H

Rust Belt Heavyweight
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
Make sure the yoke or pinion shaft (whichever is going through the seal) doesn't have a burr on it when reassembled. Also, sometimes it helps to put a plastic baggie over the splines, to prevent them nicking the seal upon installation.

I had a Mitusbishi Eclipse that I could NOT get to stop leaking on the drivers side CV axle at the transaxle/differential. I had mechanic do it the first time and he did it two more times under warranty. I did it the next two times. Finally, that last time I used some Emory cloth on the shaft where the seal rode. I couldn't see or feel a burr, but there was something there. It never leaked again in the four more years we had that car.

OP
OP
2006TJ1

2006TJ1

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Make sure the yoke or pinion shaft (whichever is going through the seal) doesn't have a burr on it when reassembled. Also, sometimes it helps to put a plastic baggie over the splines, to prevent them nicking the seal upon installation.

I had a Mitusbishi Eclipse that I could NOT get to stop leaking on the drivers side CV axle at the transaxle/differential. I had mechanic do it the first time and he did it two more times under warranty. I did it the next two times. Finally, that last time I used some Emory cloth on the shaft where the seal rode. I couldn't see or feel a burr, but there was something there. It never leaked again in the four more years we had that car.
I'll have to try that out. It's not like the seal is expensive to replace, but this is going to be such a PITA. Hopefully one new seal will do the job.

Dec 30, 2018
Winchester, VA
If you want to get really technical about it, it could be the pinion gear pulling oil out as it spins. When we precision grind pinion gears we have to run a string test to measure the runout over a period of 30 seconds. If the grain of the material pulls the string towards the end of the pinion gear, it’s scrap because it will draw oil past the seal as it’s spinning.

OP
OP
2006TJ1

2006TJ1

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2017
Atlanta, GA
If you want to get really technical about it, it could be the pinion gear pulling oil out as it spins. When we precision grind pinion gears we have to run a string test to measure the runout over a period of 30 seconds. If the grain of the material pulls the string towards the end of the pinion gear, it’s scrap because it will draw oil past the seal as it’s spinning.
Hm. Possible I guess. They are Revolution gears though, so they should be very high quality. I will try the seal first and possibly contact Revolution if the problem persists.