06 X Build: A Little at a Time

2006TJ1

TJ Enthusiast
20170222_174128.jpg
I got my Jeep about a year and a half ago. Here is what it looked like when I paid for it, but it actually changed before I even got it home. The dealer offered to swap the wheels and (whatever size, i dont remember exactly and cant tell from the picture) tires for some black wheels and 33s. For better or for worse, I said yes. For a while, I wasnt really looking into any modifications, but as it seems to happen for a lot of us, one we start dreaming it's hard to stop.
Attach142242_20180611_164110.jpg

Here is a picture from much more recently
20180623_204002.jpg
Just the other day, I swapped my old, ugly tube bumper for a Bestop Highrock Stubby which I love the look of. I can't remember who it was (I wish I could give credit), but someone on the forum posted it, and as I was in the market for a new bumper, the discounted price was too hard to pass up.

At this point, I'm still trying to do some upgrades to properly account for the 33" tires. When I got the Jeep, it only had a 2" skyjacker budget boost on it, so I had very little clearance. About 6 months ago I installed the Savvy 1.25" body lift to add a little more clearance and possibly (haven't decided yet) set myself up for a flatter skid plate.
In the near future, I plan on replacing the budget boost w a full 2.5-3" lift. Having read @JMT build thread, I feel like I'm trying to go a similar direction. I don't have a problem doing an sye/dcds if I have to in the end, but I'd rather try a mml instead & do a temporary t case drop if necessary.

One thing I'm considering right now is 3" springs in the front and 2" springs I'm the rear (probably Pro Comp or BDS). if I were to go this route would I be as likely to get vibes considering the rear lift would only be 2"? and if I were to do a mml, would that futher reduce the chances of vibes? I know a lot of people go the same length all around and then space up the front to be level, but I figured maybe I could go w a longer spring in the front and avoid the spacers....

As for mods other than exterior, ive installed:
A Kenwood dmx 7704s double din head unit
RF 5.25" speakers in the front/Polk 522 (I think?) in the rear
a Sony 12" sub in the trunk (I would've done the console sub but my buddy gave me this one for free)
and a kenwood kac 5100ps amp to power the sub
the audio setup is great!

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Also I would like to add that everyone here on this forum has been extremely helpful so far. I'm very thankful for all of the knowledge everyone here provides. As this is the first vehicle I've done any sort of modifications to, it's been great to have such a helpful community!

Nice Jeep. Your lift plan sounds solid. The mml lift is a good idea and may help with vibs, if you end up with any. A flatter skid adds a whole new set of modifications.

A flatter skid adds a whole new set of modifications.
Yeah I guess in that case I would need an sye & control arms so we'll see what I end up doing. I'll probably go without the sye for now if possible and wheel it at the local areas to see if the skid becomes and issue/takes a beating

It looks so much better without that tube bumper. I feel like whoever started the tube bumper thing needs to be shot. Once upon a time I guess they were cool, but for the life of me I can’t understand why.

Reactions: KCsTJ and 2006TJ1
It looks so much better without that tube bumper. I feel like whoever started the tube bumper thing needs to be shot. Once upon a time I guess they were cool, but for the life of me I can’t understand why.
thanks & agreed. I knew from the start I didn't love it. just took me a while to find what I really wanted

Reactions: Chris
View attachment 45274 I got my Jeep about a year and a half ago. Here is what it looked like when I paid for it, but it actually changed before I even got it home. The dealer offered to swap the wheels and (whatever size, i dont remember exactly and cant tell from the picture) tires for some black wheels and 33s. For better or for worse, I said yes. For a while, I wasnt really looking into any modifications, but as it seems to happen for a lot of us, one we start dreaming it's hard to stop. View attachment 45273
Here is a picture from much more recently
View attachment 45272 Just the other day, I swapped my old, ugly tube bumper for a Bestop Highrock Stubby which I love the look of. I can't remember who it was (I wish I could give credit), but someone on the forum posted it, and as I was in the market for a new bumper, the discounted price was too hard to pass up.

At this point, I'm still trying to do some upgrades to properly account for the 33" tires. When I got the Jeep, it only had a 2" skyjacker budget boost on it, so I had very little clearance. About 6 months ago I installed the Savvy 1.25" body lift to add a little more clearance and possibly (haven't decided yet) set myself up for a flatter skid plate.
In the near future, I plan on replacing the budget boost w a full 2.5-3" lift. Having read @JMT build thread, I feel like I'm trying to go a similar direction. I don't have a problem doing an sye/dcds if I have to in the end, but I'd rather try a mml instead & do a temporary t case drop if necessary.

One thing I'm considering right now is 3" springs in the front and 2" springs I'm the rear (probably Pro Comp or BDS). if I were to go this route would I be as likely to get vibes considering the rear lift would only be 2"? and if I were to do a mml, would that futher reduce the chances of vibes? I know a lot of people go the same length all around and then space up the front to be level, but I figured maybe I could go w a longer spring in the front and avoid the spacers....

As for mods other than exterior, ive installed:
A Kenwood dmx 7704s double din head unit
RF 5.25" speakers in the front/Polk 522 (I think?) in the rear
a Sony 12" sub in the trunk (I would've done the console sub but my buddy gave me this one for free)
and a kenwood kac 5100ps amp to power the sub
the audio setup is great!
It’s a compliment to know you are going a similar direction. I still think it is a solid direction. Tried and true. @Ranger_b0b’s build is also similar. I think it could be smart to go with a 3” spring up front and 2” in rear to avoid a spacer. But a spacer is not all bad. Ultimately, it depends on your coil spring rates and how much weight you will have in the front and rear. Right now I have no spare or top or doors, so there’s 295lbs. This, I have a rake. With the spare, top and doors it will be about level.

Hard to say what a 2” + 3” would do relative to vibes since every TJ reacts differently. A MML will greatly increase your possibility of avoiding vibes. BUT, don’t do it all at one time. Do the SL and see what happens, then add the MML if you need it. Why? So if something goes wrong you can narrow down the options much easier. Like you said in the title, “A little at a time”.

Nice rig!

Reactions: 2006TJ1
It’s a compliment to know you are going a similar direction. I still think it is a solid direction. Tried and true. @Ranger_b0b’s build is also similar. I think it could be smart to go with a 3” spring up front and 2” in rear to avoid a spacer. But a spacer is not all bad. Ultimately, it depends on your coil spring rates and how much weight you will have in the front and rear. Right now I have no spare or top or doors, so there’s 295lbs. This, I have a rake. With the spare, top and doors it will be about level.

Hard to say what a 2” + 3” would do relative to vibes since every TJ reacts differently. A MML will greatly increase your possibility of avoiding vibes. BUT, don’t do it all at one time. Do the SL and see what happens, then add the MML if you need it. Why? So if something goes wrong you can narrow down the options much easier. Like you said in the title, “A little at a time”.

Nice rig!

I plan on having the full size spare at all times. I will run the soft top year round, so that doesn't weigh down the back much. ofc the doors will come on and off with the seasons but should stay on most of the time. right now I have the new front bumper that's pretty heavy & stock rear bumper, but am planning on getting a new rear bumper w hitch receiver... anyway, I don't know exactly what springs I'm going with yet so I couldn't tell you the exact spring rates but it's between bds, pro comp, and ome

the only thing I am a little weary of is the control arms. I know the stock ones are good up to about 3", and I know that most springs net a little higher than the advertised amount, so I don't want to get 3" springs and wear out or stress my front control arms. would this be an issue?

Your stock arms will be fine until you need them to be adjustable to adjust pinion angles and caster.

If, and only if you get an SYE and DC.

oh, okay. yeah I knew sye/dcds & adj control arms went together, now I know why haha.

after looking at pricing and options, I think I'm going to go with bds 3"/2". price seems solid and I know they have a pretty good reputation around the forum!

Reactions: JMT
oh, okay. yeah I knew sye/dcds & adj control arms went together, now I know why haha.

after looking at pricing and options, I think I'm going to go with bds 3"/2". price seems solid and I know they have a pretty good reputation around the forum!
Oh, and another thing, the 3” up front and 2” rear won’t help lessen the driveline angle. The reason is the pivot is the transmission mount, so any height increase in front of that and under the frame won’t affect it. A MML will because it’s lifting above the frame.

But the good news is that with 2” in the rear, you may not get vibes. Keep us updated.

What shocks are you going to pair with the BDS springs? Do you know what BDS stands for originally? I learned this from @Jerry Bransford.

Oh, and another thing, the 3” up front and 2” rear won’t help lessen the driveline angle. The reason is the pivot is the transmission mount, so any height increase in front of that and under the frame won’t affect it. A MML will because it’s lifting above the frame.

But the good news is that with 2” in the rear, you may not get vibes. Keep us updated.

What shocks are you going to pair with the BDS springs? Do you know what BDS stands for originally? I learned this from @Jerry Bransford.

The usual rec would be great, Rancho 5000X.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01963N4ZY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

the only thing I am a little weary of is the control arms. I know the stock ones are good up to about 3", and I know that most springs net a little higher than the advertised amount, so I don't want to get 3" springs and wear out or stress my front control arms. would this be an issue?

You should be fine, I'm running the BDS 3"/2" spring combo and they netted 3" in front and 2 1/2" in the rear.

Do you know what BDS stands for originally? I learned this from @Jerry Bransford.
Haha yes! I believe @Jerry Bransford actually commented that same question on a previous thread of mine when someone brought up BDS! that's iconic

Too bad those old decals from before they changed officially to BDS aren't still easily available. :D
I wonder if we could make some at home like @JMT did with his rancho shock stickers?
I've actually had that same thought as I've been looking at BDS springs. I feel like it would be a crime to NOT have a Big Dick's sticker on my Jeep if it's sitting on some BDS coils!

But in all seriousness, right now my Jeep has some skyjacker hydro whatever's meant for the 2" range from the PO.... while not Cadillac level, they aren't the worst so I may not change out to rancho right away. But when I do, I will be going the Rancho route for sure.