1 1/4 BL

98redwrangler

I want to put 33" tires on my TJ and I have a 2 1/2 " suspension lift. Can I add a 1 1/4 " body lift without making any other modifications to anything else?

Kinda sorta. Raising the body raises the fan shroud so the engine fan would likely rub on it. Lowering the fan shroud is relatively easy by just drilling new higher mounting bolt holes into the shroud.

And yes a 2.5" suspension lift is not tall enough for 33's, at least for off road use, so a body lift is definitely strongly recommended

Reactions: Tob
2.5 and 1.25 body lift on 35s
Most will disagree that's enough for 35's. I certainly will, except for maybe a mall crawler or if the fenders have been cut up.

The usual recommendation for 35's is 5" of additional clearance, like from a 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift or cut up fenders.

Reactions: Vasq
Most will disagree that's enough for 35's. I certainly will, except for maybe a mall crawler or if the fenders have been cut up.

The usual recommendation for 35's is 5" of additional clearance, like from a 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift or cut up fenders.
I don’t know why mine got taller,I am running r/c 2.5 springs (haven’t put the 3/4 spacers on yet,and a savvy body lift,I’ll probably need more lift?

D8BBE99E-CAED-432D-9F1D-E803513D9E8E.jpeg

I still can ad the 3/4 rubber doodad that r/c gives to make the 3.25.or should I just buy a 1 inch aluminum?,I will be adding them when I install this Lj l/slip Dana 44 next to it

Kinda sorta. Raising the body raises the fan shroud so the engine fan would likely rub on it. Lowering the fan shroud is relatively easy by just drilling new higher mounting bolt holes into the shroud.

And yes a 2.5" suspension lift is not tall enough for 33's, at least for off road use, so a body lift is definitely strongly recommended
Thank you!

Thank you
S
T
O
P

I want you to think really hard about something before proceeding.

I hate body lifts and one of the reasons is location. Not of the body mount locations but geography.

I'm not that far from you (THE RUST BELT) and let me tell ya...dealing with broken welded nuts/tabs inside the body trying to remove those bolts just pisses in your Wheaties.

You can do 3 bolts just fine and then boom...the next two the nut breaks free and it just spins inside the Jeep.
Now what will you do? You're half done but now a broken bolt with a seized nut attached that the only way to get at it is surgery on the jeep body.

That's just 1...what if 2,3 or all do that? You ok with knowing parts of your Jeep are hacked up, even if welded back up?

You're dealing with a 23 year old piece with untouched fasteners of just as many years in the rust belt.

Perhaps you've got the cleanest most pristine Jeep in Western PA but if not I'd just think really carefully before going down that road.

There are many ways to skin a cat...cat being running 33 inch tires.

Reactions: Jamesval035
S
T
O
P

I want you to think really hard about something before proceeding.

I hate body lifts and one of the reasons is location. Not of the body mount locations but geography.

I'm not that far from you (THE RUST BELT) and let me tell ya...dealing with broken welded nuts/tabs inside the body trying to remove those bolts just pisses in your Wheaties.

You can do 3 bolts just fine and then boom...the next two the nut breaks free and it just spins inside the Jeep.
Now what will you do? You're half done but now a broken bolt with a seized nut attached that the only way to get at it is surgery on the jeep body.

That's just 1...what if 2,3 or all do that? You ok with knowing parts of your Jeep are hacked up, even if welded back up?

You're dealing with a 23 year old piece with untouched fasteners of just as many years in the rust belt.

Perhaps you've got the cleanest most pristine Jeep in Western PA but if not I'd just think really carefully before going down that road.

There are many ways to skin a cat...cat being running 33 inch tires.
Good point! I haven't driven it in the snow since 2003 but I did drive it in the snow for 5 years and 5 years in the salt will do a lot of damage.

Good point! I haven't driven it in the snow since 2003 but I did drive it in the snow for 5 years and 5 years in the salt will do a lot of damage.
I've seen Jeeps 9-10 years old located in this
wonderful powder keg o' rust do the very thing I'm telling you.

You may or may not have an issue. Sadly you won't know until you try it but when a welded nut let's loose there's no going back.
Basically it's all in or nothing...and a different route for your desired height.

The other thing to note is be prepared for a kill joy with power.
The 4.0 isn't a beast as is but with 3.73's or numerically lower and 33" tires...in Western PA...it's very irritating.
I can't drive a mile in any direction without hitting a hill of some sort.
I've got 4.10's and the absolute max my irritation level can take is a 32"...with 4.10's.

You've got 3.73's or less. (Unless you swapped gears)
If you got 3.55's or 3.07's
Oh my dear lord you'll need to be saved by thee

Keep that in mind.

Hey Jerry, is 3/4" coil spacers an option? Don't know much about them. I just need to get it up a little more and not sure I want to tackle a body lift and the soonest I can get a bigger suspension lift is a month out.

Hey Jerry, is 3/4" coil spacers an option? Don't know much about them. I just need to get it up a little more and not sure I want to tackle a body lift and the soonest I can get a bigger suspension lift is a month out.

Is that in addition to the 2.5” lift? If so, you may run into drive line vibes with that much lift and would likely have to drop the TC skid. If your not planning any hard off roading, why not just wait for the BL

Last edited: