1/2" vs 3/8" Drive Sockets & Ratchets

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys! I have various tools, but I am trying to be a little more organised so I want to buy some sets etc.

I am looking for sockets and ratchets now. (I already have all the ratchet sizes, and most of the sockets, but I am looking to upgrade and have sets instead of various different sockets etc.)

Do you think I should buy a set of metric and SAE sockets with ratchet, extension etc for a 1/2" drive or a 3/8" first?

I am not so experienced so I don't really know which should be used more. Can you please help me decide which size is most important?

I'd go for 3/8" drive first simply because you can fit it in more places. That being said, I own both and would encourage you to own both at some point. I have mostly metric but some SAE as well.

I'd go for 3/8" drive first simply because you can fit it in more places. That being said, I own both and would encourage you to own both at some point. I have mostly metric but some SAE as well.
I've seen this set, that I think would be a good choice for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBH736Z/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I can't go extra crazy with the budget. I think this is my budget more or less.

Can you please let me know some of best value for money brands for this kind of tools?

Is Tekton considered okay? Gearwrench?

I agree and after that 1/4" too. Having worked on old British cars for years I have British Standard Whitworth (BSW) too ... but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :giggle:

Reactions: TJim and Chris
I've seen this set, that I think would be a good choice for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBH736Z/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I can't go extra crazy with the budget. I think this is my budget more or less.

Can you please let me know some of best value for money brands for this kind of tools?

Is Tekton considered okay? Gearwrench?

I'm sure that would be fine for a starter set, yes.

I've never owned Tekton but here in the U.S. I usually buy Craftsman, Kobalt, or Husky. All of them have lifetime warranties so if you ever break a socket or a part you just walk into the store and they'll give you a new tool no questions asked. For me that warranty makes it worth it. I've only ever broken a few sockets but it's very rare. Still, if it can be replaced for free I don't really care who makes it.

Sure, Snap-On and others are nice, but unless you're a professional mechanic I'd just go with whatever is a decent brand with a good warranty. The one you linked to should honestly be just fine, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. All the tools these days are made in China unless you're buying some seriously high end USA made stuff, which ain't cheap!

I agree and after that 1/4" too. Having worked on old British cars for years I also have British Standard Whitworth (BSW) too ... but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :giggle:

BSW? That's a new one to me. Go figure :LOL:

I'm sure that would be fine for a starter set, yes.

I've never owned Tekton but here in the U.S. I usually buy Craftsman, Kobalt, or Husky. All of them have lifetime warranties so if you ever break a socket or a part you just walk into the store and they'll give you a new tool no questions asked. For me that warranty makes it worth it. I've only ever broken a few sockets but it's very rare. Still, if it can be replaced for free I don't really care who makes it.

Sure, Snap-On and others are nice, but unless you're a professional mechanic I'd just go with whatever is a decent brand with a good warranty. The one you linked to should honestly be just fine, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. All the tools these days are made in China unless you're buying some seriously high end USA made stuff, which ain't cheap!
Thanks. I've take a look in those brands later today and possibly return with some questions.

I have some old craftsman ratchets, sockets, and wrenches already, I'm satisfied. I definitely need to buy some more though. (to complete some sets, and MOST importantly because I like tools! haha)

BSW? That's a new one to me. Go figure :LOL:

They're not nearly as common as they used to be. I used them a bit on my 1950's MG's and Jaguar. I also had a 1936 MG and they came in handy for engine, transmission and brake work. Over the years most people would have replaced more common hardware with Imperial or Metric.

Thanks. I've take a look in those brands later today and possibly return with some questions.

I have some old craftsman ratchets, sockets, and wrenches already, I'm satisfied. I definitely need to buy some more though. (to complete some sets, and MOST importantly because I like tools! haha)

Craftsman tools are good. They aren't made in the US anymore but most things aren't. They still have the same warranty though which is what matters most.

They're not nearly as common as they used to be. I used them a bit on my 1950's MG's and Jaguar. I also had a 1936 MG and they came in handy for engine, transmission and brake work. Over the years most people would have replaced more common hardware with Imperial or Metric.

Yeah, I wish we could just replace everything with metric. That's one of the things that pisses me off about Jeeps is that they use a combination of both metric and SAE.

Reactions: PCO6
Yeah, I wish we could just replace everything with metric. That's one of the things that pisses me off about Jeeps is that they use a combination of both metric and SAE.

Here's one for you. I don't know if it's still true but the British were notorious for using a #10 screw with a #8 head for example. There were other examples and it was mainly restricted to the interiors. Very frustrating!

Sorry to get off topic.

Reactions: Chris
They are awesome. They size the wrench that fits the hex by the shank size. In the US, a SAE 3/8" hex head cap screw (bolt) typically has a 9/16" hex. BSW wrench size is 3/8".

Yes, it's a bit confusing at first but you get used to it.

My favourite tools were the ones often supplied with the vehicle and made by "King Dick". I always felt in charge when I used them!

Here's one for you. I don't know if it's still true but the British were notorious for using a #10 screw with a #8 head for example. There were other examples and it was mainly restricted to the interiors. Very frustrating!

Sorry to get off topic.
You haven't paid attention. The vast majority of TJ trim, panhead, and sheet metal screws are the same. Go pull your headlight bezels and headlight retaining rings. They are a #6 Torx Panhead on a #8 thread. The interior Torx and Phillips oval head trim screws are the same with undersize heads.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
You haven't paid attention. The vast majority of TJ trim, panhead, and sheet metal screws are the same. Go pull your headlight bezels and headlight retaining rings. They are a #6 Torx Panhead on a #8 thread. The interior Torx and Phillips oval head trim screws are the same with undersize heads.

I'm well aware of that but thanks for bringing it up. Big difference with the British hardware I was talking about is that it was often screwed into oak or pot metal. Lots of brass and copper too. I'm sure you know all this. Being Canadian I just replace everything with Robertson head screws and say fuck it.

Reactions: derekmac
I'm well aware of that but thanks for bringing it up. Big difference with the British hardware I was talking about is that it was often screwed into oak or pot metal. Lots of brass and copper too. I'm sure you know all this. Being Canadian I just replace everything with Robertson head screws and say fuck it.
If I could find an exact match in Torx for most of that stuff, that would be my go to answer. That and I've dealt with quite a few of the "into oak" since I had a buddy that restored old British shit boxes.

They are awesome. They size the wrench that fits the hex by the shank size. In the US, a SAE 3/8" hex head cap screw (bolt) typically has a 9/16" hex. BSW wrench size is 3/8".
I haven't had to work on british crap before, but If the bolt size and shank size are the same, why a different "type " of tool?
Is something different about a British 3/8" head and a SAE 3/8" head?
Otherwise anyone with a SAE tool set would have a BSW set by default.

It scares me if British engineering ideas start to make sense:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
Just had a Craftdman socket wrench fail. 10 min. in Ace and walked out with a new one free. I like you can take warranty items to any vendor with no proof of purchase.

I haven't had to work on british crap before, but If the bolt size and shank size are the same, why a different "type " of tool?
Is something different about a British 3/8" head and a SAE 3/8" head?
Otherwise anyone with a SAE tool set would have a BSW set by default.

It scares me if British engineering ideas start to make sense:rolleyes:
Well of course our engineering makes sense we've been at since before America happened!
The first steam engines used in Cornwall were designed by Devon men, Thomas Savery (c.1650-1715) and THOMAS NEWCOMEN (1663/4-1729), and were operating in the county by 1702 and 1720 respectively.
(I wasn't going to rise to the bait but.........) 🇬🇧

Reactions: PCO6