1 Body Lift on 99 TJ

c_bronson

I've been searching around and reading on the different forums for what else has to be done with a 1" body lift. However, I seem to be coming across a lot of "it's possible" that you'll need to do this but not always.
My question is, for a 1999 Jeep TJ 5 Speed 4.0, what is everyone's suggestion for what NEEDS to be done for a 1'' body lift to work properly. Is 1" big enough to mess up the shifting linkage? Is a MML required or just drop the fan shroud? Thanks in advance.

Well...that could be a can of worms

And You'd probably have to give more information possibly.

Read the thread on tummy tucks.

But I'll try to answer what I can. So, adding 1 inch increases the space between your body and your transfer case....so you might run into symptoms similar to like having a transfer case drop.

People, like myself, hate how transfer case drops lead to clearance issues between the shifter and the console...among other things. A body lift without a tummy tuck COULD lead to that same problem.

You'll most definitely have to mod the fan shroud. If you don't do the low profile skid plate or "tummy tuck" You'll most likely want some type of trans case shift linkage corrector to account for the increasing distance between the body and t case.

If you do the low profile skid plate to not have to deal with the effects of a t case drop, or linkage issues...then you'd probably need and slip yoke eliminator and a CV shaft.

If you do that, and already have aloft on it...then you might have to get control arms to correct pinion angle.

I mean it CAN be a can of worms. It seems some people do just the body lift, no real issues except some minor inconveniences.

Some people go a bit further to do it right.

Some times jeep mods can be a can of worms....change one thing, some times you gotta change a few things.

Read the thread on here pretty sure it's a sticky, about tummy tucks. I think it's called "so you want to do a tummy tuck"....that will educate you on body lifts, MMLs, possible low profile t case skids etc.

I'm sure the more experienced guys here would recommend doing the body lift and mml at the very least.

To answer your question about what "needs" to be done is tougher. That's subjective. Some people are okay with minor negative effects of stuff.

Either they don't mind them or for their purpose, they're okay with them.

"Need" is subjective, to a point. 4 inch lift springs will positively "NEED" certain things.

A 1 inch body lift probably won't positively need any extra purchases. But that could depend on what side effects it has on your particular jeep, and what you'd be willing to put up with, and your intended purpose.

To answer your question about what "needs" to be done is tougher. That's subjective. Some people are okay with minor negative effects of stuff.

Either they don't mind them or for their purpose, they're okay with them.

"Need" is subjective, to a point. 4 inch lift springs will positively "NEED" certain things.

A 1 inch body lift probably won't positively need any extra purchases. But that could depend on what side effects it has on your particular jeep, and what you'd be willing to put up with, and your intended purpose.
Thanks for taking the time and helping me understand better! I'll check out that thread you mentioned for sure. I really appreciate your help.