1 ton project listing or FAQ page?

JoeUtley

Supporting Member
In the past I saw someone post a page that showed a list of project builds with all kinds of different "junkyard" axle swap build pages. I have searched all over the place and have had no luck.
I will start a build thread for my LJ soon, right now I am in the research faze of the build and could really benefit from finding that source again.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don’t think there is anything like that on this forum as most of everyone here is running stock axles. But Pirate4x4.com should have everything you need when it comes to junkyard axle swaps.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jee...ultimate-wrangler-build-ups-swaps-thread.html

I dont know if linking other forums is frowned upon but that is the list I was talking about. Pirate 4x4 is a pretty good source but people get flamed like crazy on that site it seems.

I am not decided on going with one tons or slapping a crate 44 under the front. I like the idea of going with a wider axle setup for what I plan to do with my jeep.

Thanks for the info fellas.

I have a 2005 wrangler unlimited. The plan is for a LCG rock crawler that is ok to drive around town or to off road parks. I want to overkill build the axles for 37" tires. If I go super duty axles I will have to use shave kits due to only running 37s.

hp30 and 8.8 are far from tons.

Adding tons is a whole different ball game and there really isn't a "write-up", at that point everything is custom and up to the builder.
I was responding to the "everyone on here is on stock axles" part. I know the hp 30s and 8.8 are more tj width and require much less fabrication.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
I have a 2005 wrangler unlimited. The plan is for a LCG rock crawler that is ok to drive around town or to off road parks. I want to overkill build the axles for 37" tires. If I go super duty axles I will have to use shave kits due to only running 37s.

You should read my build thread. My biggest advice is to make sure that you really won't be happy with 35s.

Reactions: Chris and jjvw
You should read my build thread. My biggest advice is to make sure that you really won't be happy with 35s.

or with 37's. I have been putting trying to be set at 37's for awhile as we have been discussed but every time I look at the rigs that I hang with seem like 40's will be more smart decision.
Decisions , decisions...

That's crazy out of everyone on this page nobody is running hp 30s, ford 8.8s, or dana 60s?

"Most of everyone" != "everyone"

I think if you're looking for builds on swapping Dana 60's or better into a TJ, Pirate4x4 is the best resource. There are a 100 guys doing that over on Pirate for every 1 doing it over here. That isn't to say that this forum isn't a great resource to learn about TJ's. It is just that putting a 14 bolt in the back of a TJ is a vastly different ball game than slapping some 33's on.

I've had an account on Pirate for the last 3 years and haven't posted once. I'm in the research phase of my build as well and I expect to continue researching for the next 5-10 years. I think the best advice would be to pick a tire size and go from there. Putting 37's on a TJ is very different from putting 40's on a TJ. I've spent the past 3 years researching and still haven't decided on a tire size. That being said, I'm in no rush.

Reactions: JoeUtley

I will definitely take a look at your thread, thanks for letting me know. For the longest time my thought was to stay with 35s until recently watching some of my peers go to parks like Windrock. All in all I want to build my LJ once so I have to really go through it all.

"Most of everyone" != "everyone"

I think if you're looking for builds on swapping Dana 60's or better into a TJ, Pirate4x4 is the best resource. There are a 100 guys doing that over on Pirate for every 1 doing it over here. That isn't to say that this forum isn't a great resource to learn about TJ's. It is just that putting a 14 bolt in the back of a TJ is a vastly different ball game than slapping some 33's on.

I've had an account on Pirate for the last 3 years and haven't posted once. I'm in the research phase of my build as well and I expect to continue researching for the next 5-10 years. I think the best advice would be to pick a tire size and go from there. Putting 37's on a TJ is very different from putting 40's on a TJ. I've spent the past 3 years researching and still haven't decided on a tire size. That being said, I'm in no rush.

Egos over at Pirate just are too much for me, this site seems way more like a Jeep community. The jeep club my wife runs promotes working with other jeep people and having fun. Just not the vibe I got from Pirate however I will definitely use the thread I posted as a source.

Egos over at Pirate just are too much for me, this site seems way more like a Jeep community. The jeep club my wife runs promotes working with other jeep people and having fun. Just not the vibe I got from Pirate however I will definitely use the thread I posted as a source.

After you get hazed on pirate you either end up with respect or none at all.

I will definitely take a look at your thread, thanks for letting me know. For the longest time my thought was to stay with 35s until recently watching some of my peers go to parks like Windrock. All in all I want to build my LJ once so I have to really go through it all.

Let me know if you have any questions.