10.5” vs 12.5” tire width?

Randy_K

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ordering new 33" BFG Mud- Terrain tires for my TJ soon. I have new 15 X 8 rims with a 3.75 " back space. Should i go with a 10.5 or 12.5 width. Is there much difference in performance ?

Ordering new 33" BFG Mud- Terrain tires for my TJ soon. I have new 15 X 8 rims with a 3.75 " back space. Should i go with a 10.5 or 12.5 width. Is there much difference in performance ?

For on road traction I would use the 10.5 width tires. I had the 33x9.5 BFG's (BFG changed these to 33x10.5) on an old chevy truck. They performed very well on snow covered roads which I think you'll experience living in Canada. @billiebob (a fellow Canadian) also had those tires and liked them quite a bit. Unless you use your jeep just for mud and need flotation tires, I would go with the 33x10.5.

Reactions: billiebob
It’s up to you and your needs really. A wider tire has more traction ability, more rim protection, looks bigger and there are more tire options.

A10.5 is lighter, better road manners, your call

Do you need to dig to find traction, or are you mostly on rock?

A narrow tire will find traction better when you don't want to float on the surface. A good clue is to look at the farming rigs around. You see a tractor for a muck field, it has tall, skinny tires to get through the muck, and down to something stable underneath. For a corn field, they will run wider tires, even doubles, to spread the weight of the tractor out, so if doesn't sink. So, if you will be running sand and loose top soil, a wider tire might work out better. In rocks, the wider tire can flatten out more and give a better footprint, so it might be better there.

If your just pounding pavement, it's really up to you, but the narrow tire will have better road manners.

Last edited:
I currently have 35x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer STT's and plan on moving to a 33" tire. I cannot decide on 10.5 or 12.5 width.
My TJ has what I believe to be a 4" suspension lift, and will see more pavement than dirt. Is it wiser to go with a wider tire with taller lifts? I understand the benefits of a slimmer tire, I live in Michigan, but Jeep is stored in the winter. So snow driving is not much of a factor. When it does see some trails, it will be just that. No rock crawling or deep mud holes.
I appreciate any and all feedback regarding this. :)

Jeep TJ Garage front.jpg

Jeep TJ Garage side.jpg

Reactions: KCNoDots
I don't have as much time spent as some, but for me on the highway the 31-10.5 15s on the factory wheels would have a top heavy feel to it. My LJ has a 3" lift when I got it with factory wheels and toyo m/t 31-10.5-15 and it would sway quite a bit over 60mph. I got 17x8 with 33-12.5-17 (close enough) and it doesn't sway like it did before. That is the only experience I have so far with my LJ.

2nd pic driveway.jpg

Jtopless1.jpg

I went through the same debate myself a few weeks ago and I am so glad I went with the BFG 33" X 12.5" KM3's. They handle the same on the road as my old 31" x 10.5's, but work really well in the snow, mud, and rocks. And they look "Damn Good" on my TJ!

Reactions: Bird and Mikester86
It depends on how you're using your Jeep, but I would recommend 12.5" based on my personal preference after using both 10.5" and 12.5" tires on and off-road :)

Reactions: Mikester86
Since you live in Canada, I'd think your snow, ice, and rain might make the narrower 10.5" width tire a better choice. A narrower tire cuts through water on roads better for reduced hydroplaning tendencies. And on snow-covered roads, a narrower tire can cut down through the snow to the pavement below for better traction.

If it's strictly a summertime dry weather offroad tire, or if you like to take your Jeep through trails with deep snow or deep mud, a wider tire would work better.

I asked why the price is higher for the 10.5 width, and was told the 12.5 wide tires are mass produced more.

Reactions: KCNoDots
I'm in the "internet forum minority" with my thinking, but I prefer wider tires in winter. (Canada)
I've ran both 10.5" and 12.5", and I only run the 12.5" now.
I cannot tell you I have scientifically backed studies to confirm that wider tires are better for traction in the snow, but it's what I think/experience.
(again, I realize I'm in the minority according to the internet on this) .

If I really thought the skinnier tire had better traction, I guess I could over-inflate my 12.5s...but honestly, I'd tend to under-inflate in bad winter conditions. Works for me.

But even if "I've been wrong this whole time", I've had nearly 30 yrs of winter driving experience...and my "wrongful thinking of wider tires are better in winter" still hasn't managed to be a negative factor yet, so it probably really doesn't matter that much with which width you go with.

Actually - now that I re-read your post and noticed you're getting mud tires...THAT (mud tires) will be the biggest negative in snow vs other treads/rubber compounds. Much more of a difference than tire width IMO. While mud tires can do well in deep snow, they often become as slippery as hockey pucks on frozen roads. Sipping is your friend in winter conditions too, which is something most mud tires are lacking in.

Technically, I guess there is more lbs/sq inch of pressure with a narrower tire...but is it enough and at the magical point where only the 10.5" tires reaches the pavement and not the 12.5? (I doubt it). Or does the extra surface area of the 12.5" make more of a difference with traction? (I think it does - but that's just an opinion).

Some ppl ride their bicycle in winter here, but primarily only with those "fat tire" wheels and not the skinny ones.
Different weight than a Jeep though, but skinny is bad on bikes in winter.

I prefer the 12.5 aesthetically. So I'm probably biased there.
But it will "handle worse" on the highway, and probably add more stress to the steering/ball joints/etc.

fyi - I run mud tires in summer, and Duratracs in winter - both 12.5" wide.
Previously ran BFG Ko2 10.5" wide - which were also fine.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Bird
Living on the East Coast in Canada, I've always preferred a tall skinny tire for winter. Saying that, I do run my 12.5 MT's year round, but I also only drive very short distances to work and home. If I had to travel far, I'd have dedicated winter tires for my Jeep.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have decided on 33x12.5x15's. The dilemma is do I wait until the 35's need replacing, or swap them sooner than later?
The caveat is, I can probably get about $300 credit for the current 35's (including the unused spare) from Discount Tire towards the 33's. This would really help off-set the expense.

My wife would rather me not spend the cash on tires, since the 35's on it are in good shape. But I would prefer to, taking in account I am running stock brakes, as well as the other negative effects on the suspension parts. The tire and rim combo are around 95-97 pounds each. The 33's would drop that number to 83 pounds.

What are your thoughts? Am I being overly paranoid about the effects on the suspension and brakes, as well as gas mileage and power with the 35's? Our TJ is a 2001 with 4.0 and a 5 speed manual transmission that originally came with 30x9.5x15 tires. Gears are 3:73 Dana 30\44.

I have decided on 33x12.5x15's. The dilemma is do I wait until the 35's need replacing, or swap them sooner than later. . . ?

My wife would rather me not spend the cash on tires, since the 35's on it are in good shape. But I would prefer to . . . .

What are your thoughts. . . ?

Listen to your wife.

Reactions: Bird
What are your thoughts? Am I being overly paranoid about the effects on the suspension and brakes, as well as gas mileage and power with the 35's? Our TJ is a 2001 with 4.0 and a 5 speed manual transmission that originally came with 30x9.5x15 tires. Gears are 3:73 Dana 30\44.
FWIW I have the Dana 44/30 with 3.73, 35s, 5spd, 4.0, and I am getting about 12mpg mixed. When i was on 31s, I was getting about 14.5mpg mixed. I think most of the drop is from the computer miscalculating rather than the actual tire. Since the tires circumference is about 110" for a 35" vs 97.4" for a 31". Which is about a 13% difference. And the 12mpg vs 14.5mpg is about a 20% difference. So most of the poorer mpg number is just the sheer miscalculation of the computer IMO.

Power is definitely different however, 5th is nearly useless on the freeway if there is the slightest grade with the 35s. I am planning on going to 4.88s.