10.5" or 12.5" tire width for 33s on a ‘99 TJ?

My next set I’m between 33x10.5 and 32x11.5. Which did you prefer? Currently I’m on 2” lift but if I went 33s I’d add a body lift of 1.25”. I’m also running slightly longer bumpstops in case I go 33s w 3” lift.

Just stumbled into this thread, because I'm still waffling, and saw that you asked me a question and I never answered.

I'm not sure I notice much of a difference in the way they drive or handle...32x11.5 and 33x10.5 are pretty close in weight. My next set will definitely be 33's because by the time I need tires I'll have a 4" Currie/Savvy lift and I want to use as big of a tire that my build will allow.

I think I'm finally settled on KM3's, which still leaves open the possibility of 10.5. I think the wide stance, 12.5 tires with 4+ offset looks more aggressive if paired with large-opening fenders like metalcloak or MCE, but I don't care for the way they look with stock style fenders, even the wider ones. I really like the look of MCE fenders and the reminiscence of the old flat fender MB's but don't think I've seen enough 10.5's paired with them to know how that will look. And I readily admit, though my build to this point has been almost entirely about function, the pairing of fender and tire are entirely about form, but the decision will be influenced by some function like "can 12.5 really air down significantly farther than 10.5 on an 8" wheel", "will an extra 4.5" of outside tire width (going from 5.25 to 4" BS wheel in addition to the wider tire) provide a perceivable increase in off camber stability" and "how much will my wife and I enjoy getting sprayed with mud when we're doorless".

For reference, my (formerly) LJ with a 3" lift, stock wheels and 33x10.5 KM2's that still sprayed the side somewhat.

IMG_0126.jpg

If you keep the suspension in check(alignments, bushings in good order, etc...) and the tires are properly balanced and the air pressure is not neglected, you will be fine with the wider tire.

As said above, wider does have a tendency to "float" more. If you keep the air pressure higher when it rains, this helps. It is not a racecar, so don't go 70MPH if you know you're going to encounter sitting water on the HWY.

Here’s my 99 with just the 1.25 body lift and 33x10.5s. I live in the Winder area. I am planning on installing my jks 3 inch lift soon. I think the weight savings and rain/snow benefit is worth it, but I also travel to the northwest frequently... I have 3.73 gearing and the Ax-15 5 speed it’s surprisingly very manageable until I put 4.56s under it.

View attachment 121860

View attachment 121861
Nice Jeep. That's gonna look great with the lift.

OP I think your Jeep will look better with 2" SL and 1"BL on 32 12.5. Mud terrain.
In my opinion it looks way better than a stuffed tire.

Reactions: TheBoogieman