10.5" tire on 10" wheel ?

Sahara01

Question for all of you that know way more about wheels and tires than I do.

Came across what I think is a good deal on tires on Craigslist. $600 for a set of 5 BFG KM2 mud terrains brand new. They are 33x10.5x15.

I currently have 33x12.5x15 BFG ATs on 10" wheels.

Any problems going from 12.5 to 10.5?

My tires still have some tread life. It they are getting old. Also don't have a spare. Really don't need the mud terrains but I thought the price was pretty good.

Thanks in advance!

That is a good deal on the tires, but I don't know how well they would fit on a 10" wide wheel. They may not keep a bead well if aired down, but I'm not tire expert. I have this tire size on my jeep but with a 8" wide wheel.
20150729_093741.jpg

Also keep in mind that 10 wide wheel will stick out past your flares quite a bit. Don't know how the CHP's are in your neck of the woods, but just an added thought.

I would do yourself a favor and get rid of the 10" wide wheels when you can.

As for fitting those tires on them, sure, they'll fit. However, when you air down (if you do), I'm not sure how well it will keep the bead. I wouldn't be running a 10" wide wheel though if I was planning on doing some very serious off-roading.

I looked at Amazon for them...I found em, but they were listed as trailer tires.

You mean trailer wheels? Yes, I seemed to remember them advertised as such, as long as the bolt pattern, hub mounting and backspacing are correct, who cares. FYI, the back spacing on these are 3.75". With Rubi flares and a 10.50 wide tire, coverage is just about right. Here's the part numbers on the box.
P1040740.JPG

Nope do NOT mount 10.5" wide tires on 10" wheels!!! That'd be dangerous, the tires would have a hard time remaining safely seated. 10.5" tires are only that wide at the widest part of the tire which is halfway up the sidewall. At the tire's mounting bead it is only maybe 7.5 to 8" wide so the mounting beads would have to be forced apart to 10" by excessive air pressure to even get them to seat on the wheel. Guaranteed they'd come unseated the first time you aired the tires down even a little to go offroading. They'd be more prone to unseal/unseat just during normal driving conditions too, especially if you like to take corners a little fast.

For a 31x10.50, my first choice would be a 15x7 wheel followed by a 15x8 at the very widest.

Last edited:
Reactions: billiebob and Chris