10% Off UCF (June 2020)

That is correct. Yes I meant to link the extra clearance unit. Must have copied the page when I was looking at the two for comparison.

The CONS on the no lift one are even good Pros

All great information on the post. I don't mind the added weight, since it is lower on the frame, but good to know on the aluminum. The stock unit is heavy and does nothing for clearance.

With the lopro mount and the extra high clearance I should be fine without a bodylift anyways, plus I have a 1"MML in a box in the garage, just in case.

My question is, metal to metal being equal, is the UCF skid lighter, or the same as the stock unit weight wise? I have stuff added to the cart, just waiting for me to get home.

UCF steel skid is 60lbs (feels heavier, believe me)
Stock steel skid is around 40 lbs
UCF aluminum is 27lbs

Reactions: Ephry73
That is correct. Yes I meant to link the extra clearance unit. Must have copied the page when I was looking at the two for comparison.

The CONS on the no lift one are even good Pros

All great information on the post. I don't mind the added weight, since it is lower on the frame, but good to know on the aluminum. The stock unit is heavy and does nothing for clearance.

With the lopro mount and the extra high clearance I should be fine without a bodylift anyways, plus I have a 1"MML in a box in the garage, just in case.

My question is, metal to metal being equal, is the UCF skid lighter, or the same as the stock unit weight wise? I have stuff added to the cart, just waiting for me to get home.

I have the extra clearance in 1/4" steel. It's 77 lbs and felt a *lot* heavier than the factory skid plate.

Reactions: Ephry73 and DuncLJ
I have the extra clearance in 1/4" steel. It's 77 lbs and felt a *lot* heavier than the factory skid plate.
UCF website says steel skid is 60 lbs. I think you are correct with the 77 lbs though. That bitch was heavy.... The FEDEX guy looked pissed when he had to wrestle it out of the back of the truck. Lol.

UCF website says steel skid is 60 lbs. I think you are correct with the 77 lbs though. That bitch was heavy.... The FEDEX guy looked pissed when he had to wrestle it out of the back of the truck. Lol.

Yeah their page states 60 lbs for the 3/16" steel one and doesn't update the weight when you select the 1/4" steel in the drop-down menu. Elsewhere on their site they list the weight for the 1/4" as 77 lb. My UPS guy was sweating and breathing heavy when I went outside to look after hearing a loud thud on my porch. I would have helped him if I saw him in time... and then asked him to help me get it to the garage! haha

All the weights are listed in this page:

https://undercoverfab.com/transfer-...ion_f-no_rubicon_locker_pump_bracket_included

Reactions: Ephry73 and DuncLJ
UCF steel skid is 60lbs (feels heavier, believe me)
Stock steel skid is around 40 lbs
UCF aluminum is 27lbs
Definitely a big difference, specially if having to take it off for repairs and such all by your lonesome. Didn't realize the difference was that big. Thanks for sharing

The only issue I have with the aluminum is the NY brine they put down on the roads in the winter months. Guess a little preventative maintenance and reapplying non conductive grease between the skid and frame on a regular basis.

The only issue I have with the aluminum is the NY brine they put down on the roads in the winter months. Guess a little preventative maintenance and reapplying non conductive grease between the skid and frame on a regular basis.

If I could do it over again I would probably get aluminum. I'm going through a bit of a weight saving stage now. At the time I might even have broken even with aluminum because shipping is less due to the light weight, but I didn't think of that then. Looks like UCF has free shipping right now so the steel will be cheaper. It is heavy but at least it is low, and as convinced as I am that aluminum armor is fine, there's something about 1/4" steel that gives you new muscles when you put it on the Jeep that is reassuring.

If I could do it over again I would probably get aluminum. I'm going through a bit of a weight saving stage now. At the time I might even have broken even with aluminum because shipping is less due to the light weight, but I didn't think of that then. Looks like UCF has free shipping right now so the steel will be cheaper. It is heavy but at least it is low, and as convinced as I am that aluminum armor is fine, there's something about 1/4" steel that gives you new muscles when you put it on the Jeep that is reassuring.
Good to know indeed. My thinking as well regarding the steel skid. I can always make up the difference with four lighter alloy wheels, versus the Pro Comp steelies I have on now. All in all, the ultra high clearance steel plate with the lopro mount and free shipping is around 400 total. Versus over $560 for the aluminum one after discount

Reactions: Mobusaki
Good to know indeed. My thinking as well regarding the steel skid. I can always make up the difference with four lighter alloy wheels, versus the Pro Comp steelies I have on now. All in all, the ultra high clearance steel plate with the lopro mount and free shipping is around 400 total. Versus over $560 for the aluminum one after discount

That's a fantastic value. I wish I had waited for a sale to get mine. But I have no complaints other than that. I think it's a tie between regearing and the tummy tuck for best upgrade so far.

I'm having trouble understanding this kit. There is a "no body lift" option, which is what it says. However, from reading some posts here...I can still do the "extra" and "ultra" options without doing a body lift? The description on the website says that some of the kits do need a body lift.

I don't want a body lift, but want aluminum, and my Jeep is a Rubicon. What's the best kit option for highest clearance without the need for a body lift?

I'm having trouble understanding this kit. There is a "no body lift" option, which is what it says. However, from reading some posts here...I can still do the "extra" and "ultra" options without doing a body lift? The description on the website says that some of the kits do need a body lift.

I don't want a body lift, but want aluminum, and my Jeep is a Rubicon. What's the best kit option for highest clearance without the need for a body lift?

Out of curiosity, why are you opposed to a body lift? They can take a few forms - some fixing the visual costs if that’s the biggest annoyance.

Reactions: Byhumba
Out of curiosity, why are you opposed to a body lift? They can take a few forms - some fixing the visual costs if that’s the biggest annoyance.
Yeah, just that. My previous TJ had a body lift and after 8 yrs, it never really grew on me. I'm trying to avoid it on my current TJ. I'm not completely against it, just rather not do it. I will do a body lift if I must.

Yeah, just that. My previous TJ had a body lift and after 8 yrs, it never really grew on me. I'm trying to avoid it on my current TJ. I'm not completely against it, just rather not do it. I will do a body lift if I must.

At the end of the day, everything is a trade off - the BL is one many of us just accept vs the higher cost to gain the same net result. Though if you’re decent with a welder you could cut/fix the rear frame and body mounts (everywhere except the grill) - which would net a bit more than just a BL.

It may be different for a Rubicon due to the larger transfer case, and their website lays it all out, although you may miss it if you don't look closely (a phone call or email to them would be best). But here is what I know for mine with the 231 transfer case:

-No body lift required is just that.
-Extra clearance skid can be done either with a body lift or with their LOPRO mount and no body lift.
-Ultra clearance can be done with either more body lift than most would recommend, or 1" BL + the LOPRO mount, or 1" BL and some tub clearancing (ie, denting your tub from the underside). They don't say it but it should follow that the ultra clearance can be done with just the LOPRO, no body lift, and tub clearancing.

If you dislike body lifts the LOPRO is a great option.

Edit: From looking at their website again it seems that they don't distinguish between the 231 and 241 (rubicon) transfer cases, so they may both have the same dimensions where it matters for a tummy tuck. Not sure.

They don't say it but it should follow that the ultra clearance can be done with just the LOPRO, no body lift, and tub clearancing.

If you dislike body lifts the LOPRO is a great option.

Edit: From looking at their website again it seems that they don't distinguish between the 231 and 241 (rubicon) transfer cases, so they may both have the same dimensions where it matters for a tummy tuck. Not sure.

The 241 and 231 are different animals. I think you'd be hard pressed to get any sort of ultra-clearance, flat plate style skid into place without a body lift. If you do, it will take some SERIOUS tub modification with the 241. The case is huge compared to a 231.

FWIW, the Savvy requires a body lift to get flat'ish. Even with a 1.25" body lift, I've heard that some guys need to clearance the tub in a couple of spots for the 241 T-case and that is with Savvy's custom transmission mount (lo-pro) I don't think there is much of a drop difference between the UCF and the Savvy, so it stands to reason that the same considerations must be made.

The more I read about the tummy tuck, the more I learn that a body lift is a must for the best results with less money and effort spent. I'm not a fan of body lifts, but I definitely dislike more the hanging belly on my TJ. Lol. I've been considering it for a few months. I read the official tummy tuck thread. I know we all have our preferences, but is this UCF ultra high clearance kit comparable to the Savvy tummy tuck kit? Any advantages or disadvantages?

The more I read about the tummy tuck, the more I learn that a body lift is a must for the best results with less money and effort spent. I'm not a fan of body lifts, but I definitely dislike more the hanging belly on my TJ. Lol. I've been considering it for a few months. I read the official tummy tuck thread. I know we all have our preferences, but is this UCF ultra high clearance kit comparable to the Savvy tummy tuck kit? Any advantages or disadvantages?

A body lift may be more difficult than the LOPRO if you live in the rust belt. Lots of body lift horror stories around here. But yes, definitely a body lift is better all around (or both if you want) because it helps with some other things as well (tire clearance, lifting the gas skid, some maintenance items may be easier).

Comparing to the Savvy, both may require some tub clearancing in addition to the body lift. The Savvy comes with a crossmember which is cool because you won't need to brace the transmission when you take the skid off. They both should have the same clearance, but the Savvy only drops down where it absolutely has to (asymmetrical bottom), while the UCF is like most other skids in that it tapers down to a flat symmetrical surface. You will see what I mean when you compare photos of them.

Both will do a great job with clearance and protection.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Byhumba