10k or 12k Winch?

Jeepin-Gypsy

Hey everyone. Prob been asked about a million times, so don't kill me lol but I'd like to know which size winch is it best to get for my lifted 01 Sahara.

I do light to moderate off roading on my mtn property. Haven't gotten stuck yet but I know it's a good idea to get a winch to be better safe than sorry.

So what brand and how big should I get? Does it matter that my Sahara is lifted 2.5 on 34s for size reference or not when picking out one? Thanks - Jeepin Gypsy

8k.

Warn is reputable. Get synthetic rope.

Lift and tire size doesn't matter. You'll need a spot to mount the winch on your bumper though.

Alright. So my next question is why synthetic and not steel? And I have a winch plate all set up on my aftermarket steel bumper, just need to add a winch lol

Alright. So my next question is why synthetic and not steel? And I have a winch plate all set up on my aftermarket steel bumper, just need to add a winch lol

1) Less weight which helps your Jeep's performance overall.

2) The reduced weight of the winch line means it's safer if it snaps and hits something/somebody. A common analogy is which would you rather be whipped with, steel cable, or synthetic rope?

Reactions: tworley
1) Less weight which helps your Jeep's performance overall.

2) The reduced weight of the winch line means it's safer if it snaps and hits something/somebody. A common analogy is which would you rather be whipped with, steel cable, or synthetic rope?

Oh ok, makes sense. Alright I'll be on the lookout then for a new winch. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it ✌🏽

I run a 10K cause it was cheap, 8K would be fine. 12K is overkill. I run shittybuilt, it hasn’t failed me yet and it’s fast, IP7 waterproof. It’s no Warn, but it gets the job done for 1/2 the price.

Course I also run steel cable for the Same reason, and it’s better when I drag brush around or dragging the line through stuff, again not as nice as the rope and you have to watch yourself In case it snaps but for less than 1/2 price it does the job fine.

Reactions: Hopper
I run a 10K cause it was cheap, 8K would be fine. 12K is overkill. I run shittybuilt, it hasn’t failed me yet and it’s fast, IP7 waterproof. It’s no Warn, but it gets the job done for 1/2 the price.

Course I also run steel cable for the Same reason, and it’s better when I drag brush around or dragging the line through stuff, again not as nice as the rope and you have to watch yourself In case it snaps but for less than 1/2 price it does the job fine.

Another plus for steel over synthetic is the line is more durable. Steel is much more abrasion resistant, and isn't degraded by light or exposure to mud and sand. So if you don't use your winch often (which is most of us), your winch line can begin to lose strength on its outer layer just from sunlight. Steel has neither of these issues. However, with steel you have to keep in mind that it does store more potential energy and it can develop burrs. So you would need a damper blanket to hang on the line while winching, and you'll need to wear gloves. But both of those are good ideas to use regardless of which line type you choose.

Sources:
  1. https://www.warn.com/synthetic-rope-vs-steel-rope-which-one-is-best
  2. https://www.drivingline.com/articles/steel-vs-synthetic-which-winch-line-do-you-trust/

Reactions: Peppergat

1670770611151.png

Warn M12-S Recovery 12000lb Winch, Synthetic Rope - 97720​

Anybody have one of these on their TJ. Overkill, I know and a little heavy, but good. Picture ? mount down vs face out ?? thanks D

View attachment 383439

Warn M12-S Recovery 12000lb Winch, Synthetic Rope - 97720​

Anybody have one of these on their TJ. Overkill, I know and a little heavy, but good. Picture ? mount down vs face out ?? thanks D

Overkill. I’ll be getting the m8000. Good price. Around $780. I’ll be buying WRG winch line paired with a safety thimble.
All of the warm m8000 parts are made here in the United States.

All the winches in a series use the same motor. Like vehicles, it's the gears that make the torque. So an 8K, 10K, & 12K winch all have the same HP motor but different gears. Max pull is with almost all the rope out so only one layer is wound around the drum. Winches also have a duty cycle, and even the top of the line $3,000 Warn ZEON 12 PLATINUM has intermittent duty cycle. The higher the load, the more amps, the lower the duty cycle
1671084401914.png

So I'm getting this 12K winch for my TJR. If I have a massive recovery, I'll use a snatch ring to keep it under 300 amps so my aftermarket 200 amp alternator can recovery.

Steel vs synthetic. I've argued for years that steel is better, but after trying to convince several professionals, I'm a convert to synthetic. Steel is just to dangerous.

Last edited:
All the winches in a series use the same motor. Like vehicles, it's the gears that make the torque. So an 8K, 10K, & 12K winch all have the same HP motor but different gears. Max pull is with almost all the rope out so only one layer is wound around the drum. Winches also have a duty cycle, and even the top of the line $3,000 Warn ZEON 12 PLATINUM has intermittent duty cycle. The higher the load, the more amps, the lower the duty cycle
View attachment 384404

So I'm getting this 12K winch for my TJR. If I have a massive recovery, I'll use a snatch ring to keep it under 300 amps so my aftermarket 200 amp alternator can recovery.

Steel vs synthetic. I've argued for years that steel is better, but after trying to convince several professionals, I'm a convert to synthetic. Steel is just to dangerous.

When it comes to Warns they do not all use the same motor. The M6000/8000 use the same motor. The XD9000/i, M10/12000 and early M15000 use the same motor. 9.5XP uses its now famous motor and the 16.5Ti uses its own motor. The VR series varies by generation but for the most part the 8s use a smaller motor than the 10/12s. The Zeons have three different motors depending on size and if it is a Platinum.

All 12 volt DC winches are intermittent duty and also are only near their rated power with all the line payed to the first layer on the drum.

For your TJ I would look closer at the 10k as it gives you a bit better line speed compared to 12 with a only a minor difference in amp draw for a given line pull.

Front/Rear bumpers - I have a 12k Superwinch I took off the JK that I hope to reuse, although this Jeep is much smaller/lighter. I prefer smaller front bumpers for better rock clearance. Probably need to carry a larger spare on the back, had a poison spider brawler rear on the JK. What works for an LJ?
@DGLJRS how did that work out? I'm looking at the same winch. I'm building my TJR as a recovery vehicle. I can have another rig tied to mine for pulling heavy loads.

@DGLJRS how did that work out? I'm looking at the same winch. I'm building my TJR as a recovery vehicle. I can have another rig tied to mine for pulling heavy loads.

My Jeep is still in the garage undergoing a number of mods. But I decided to keep the Superwinch and will be mounting it on a Genright Stubby Steel bumper that I am in the process of painting. Looks like it will fit well.

Another plus for steel over synthetic is the line is more durable. Steel is much more abrasion resistant, and isn't degraded by light or exposure to mud and sand.
Yes steel is, of course, more abrasion resistant. BUT in most winch uses abrasion isn't an issue because we don't typically drag our winch ropes over things while winching.

I gave up on wire rope 20 years ago after replacing it twice with more wire and switched to synthetic rope for a third replacement. Why? My wire ropes were getting kinked with occasionally broken strands from my often repetitive pulls in one day when it's impractical to respool the wire rope so it's level after each use. Such use doesn't bother a synthetic rope in the least. In my 20 years of synthetic rope use I've yet to have to replace a synthetic rope from damage or abrasion.

Reactions: Zorba
Which do you buy. if trying avoid Chinese made ?? Warn $400 ??

"If you want to have a real-deal "Made in the USA" Warn winch, you need to buy an older one (and maybe rebuild it).

Warn's non-VR winches are assembled in Oregon with some globally sourced parts. They continue to manufacture substantial parts of their winches at the Oregon factory, like machining cases and gears.

The Warn VR line is fully made in China."

Source: https://www.roundforge.com/articles/warn-winch-made-usa/

Reactions: jonlandrum
Very sorry, would not buy anything other than a Warn winch; do like the older ones made in the USA.

Was asking Mr Bransford what synthetic line he buys. thanks D