12 pin plug ? ..... console area.

Head Lice

TJ Addict
The land of 'salmon & grizzlies' ....... BC
Have returned to the OEM RBK Radio/CD set up in my '04 TJ .....
Removed the console with the sub-woofer to clean/re-wire the speaker.
Under the console is a 12 pin plug. The sub-woofer speaker is a 4 wire unit.
Is this empty 12 pin plug part of the sub-woofer system.
I've tried to make sense of the factory wiring diagrams in a downloaded Service Manual.
It would be easier to teach a fish to drive a Peterbilt .....
Any info on this mystery plug would be appreciated ...
Thanks,
HL

Have returned to the OEM RBK Radio/CD set up in my '04 TJ .....
Removed the console with the sub-woofer to clean/re-wire the speaker.
Under the console is a 12 pin plug. The sub-woofer speaker is a 4 wire unit.
Is this empty 12 pin plug part of the sub-woofer system.
I've tried to make sense of the factory wiring diagrams in a downloaded Service Manual.
It would be easier to teach a fish to drive a Peterbilt .....
Any info on this mystery plug would be appreciated ...
Thanks,
HL
Factory amp?

Wiring is very model year specific. The amplified subwoofer option was a 2001+ change. My connector was fairly big looking but I can't recall how many pins it had. The subwoofer needs 6 wires - 4 feeds from the rear speakers, power, ground. The manual on my 2001 just shows a 6 pin connector. The schematic didn't show any other connectors in the circuit other than that one.

subwoofer.JPG

I tried to repair my factory subwoofer as the speaker was completely destroyed. Trouble is, none of the stereo shops had a 4-wire single subwoofer that would work. Mopar only offers a complete console assembly for huge $$$ (if you can even still get it). You could always gut the enclosure and install something in it. Once you take all the plastic and electronics out, there's a fair bit of room.

See my write up on replacement Link here: SUBWOOFER speaker 43CWRT672 by Stillwater Kicker on the boards. It shows how I replaced my defective subwoofer with a replacement and rewired the amp. Killer sounding and low profile so thieves won't look to make off with it! The sub I used is a "DVC" Dual Voice Coils technology speaker just as the factory unit you will be replacing was.

The plug changes were 2001-2002 for the 6 pin, 2003-2006 for the 12 pin plug. If you wish to add a factory console with subwoofer that you source from a salvage yard, Craigslist or elsewhere, make sure it is from the same year segment as your Jeep or the wiring will be wrong and it won't be as simple as "plug-&-play".

Last edited:
Reactions: Head Lice
And HL, to answer your question directly; YES that 12 pin plug on your 2004 TJ is for the factory sub/amp console module. It plugs right in and runs off the head units speaker output to the rear roll bar sound pods. The factory wiring for the rear sound pods runs through the wiring to that 12 pin plug so if you removed it or modified it in any way, it will affect the rear pods speaker factory wiring. You need a sub/amp module from a 2003-2006 TJ. The 2001-2002 will not work as the plug and power switching scheme is slightly different. Use my instructions on the above post link I provided with a direct replacement speaker from Kicker model 43CWRT672 or the older version 40CWRT672 will also work. If you aren't going to use Kickers amplifier and want to reuse the factory amplifier in the console, do NOT buy the 43CWRT671 or 40CWRT671 because it has 1 Ohm voice coils and will burn up the factory amplifier rather quickly. The last number in the model of the speaker from Kicker indicates the impedance resistance of the coils and it needs to be as close to the factory 2 Ohm rating as possible. If you use an aftermarket amplifier that has higher output and is stable down to 1 Ohm then you can use the 1 Ohm version speaker. Otherwise stick with the 2 Ohm voice coils as most amplifiers including the factory one will be more stable and not overheat.

Excellent information RR .....
The OEM sub-woofer in the '04 TJ console appears to be in good shape. I wish to re-use it.
What is missing is the wiring harness from the sub-woofer to the 12 pin plug under the console.
This wiring harness will be about a foot long (+ -), have a 12 pin - female plug on one end, and 4 speaker tabs on the other.
Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep show this as part of the whole wiring harness for big $$ .... not as a separate purchasable part.
The Auto Wreckers don't have this part either ......

Edit: Wasn't aware of a factory amplifier in the sub-woofer enclosure ....
I'm lost on this project ..... just want the OEM set-up.

Last edited:
Originally I looked into and saw/heard someone who had the Quadratec solution......

....That gave me the Kicker idea when I found a full 2002 console with the factory sub still in it and rotted out because the price was really fairly close on both speakers at the time I bought mine.

FWIW, the Quadratec replacement speaker is a good option if your Jeep came with the console subwoofer and you are going to keep the factory original low power sub amplifier, it will drop right in with no real trimming or fitment necessary at all.

The Kicker alternative I described is good for those who intend to run a higher power amplifier or want a really durable speaker that is weatherproof. Basically a high performance option or if your Jeep didn't come with a console sub and you want to add one from ebay or Craigslist with a mixture of factory and aftermarket car audio parts. The Kicker, especially with aftermarket amplifier does sound better in a side-by-side comparison.

Excellent information RR .....
The OEM sub-woofer in the '04 TJ console appears to be in good shape. I wish to re-use it.
What is missing is the wiring harness from the sub-woofer to the 12 pin plug under the console.
This wiring harness will be about a foot long (+ -), have a 12 pin - female plug on one end, and 4 speaker tabs on the other.
Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep show this as part of the whole wiring harness for big $$ .... not as a separate purchasable part.
The Auto Wreckers don't have this part either ......

Edit: Wasn't aware of a factory amplifier in the sub-woofer enclosure ....
I'm lost on this project ..... just want the OEM set-up.
If your tj came from the factory with the subwoofer option, then there is an amplifier in the enclosure opposite the subwoofer. I used the same sub as @RangerRick. Kicker 43CWRT672. I guess I didn't take many good photos when I did this, but here's what I have.
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
the first photo, the triangular hole that you can see my workbench through is where the amplifier sits from the factory. Second photo shows what I gather to be the wiring that you are missing? Four wires go to the sub and the other 8 to the amplifier (in my case). Did you pull the the sub out of the enclosure and look inside? The factory sub is notorious for falling apart and sounding like shit so some people unplug it. That's how I found mine. Perhaps somebody unplugged the wiring harness and tucked it into the enclosure to keep it from rattling? A stretch but worth a shot

time to fix my rattling speaker..my wife keeps telling me my sub is rattling..hell I don't even notice the noise.now shes I'm going for a hearing test.what hua what speak up I say.to many years in front of the mind blowers.any of you remember mind blower speakers.easy enough fix thou good info but I gotta quit letting her read this stuff over my shoulder. damn off to the doc again.

I did pull the sub-woofer from its enclosure, but didn't notice anything else in there. The PO had the OEM sub-woofer wired into an amp under the seat. Everything is covered in some kind of sound deadening material. Having never seen what the OEM set-up looked like, I'm going to have to pull it apart again and see if the OEM amp is there too .....
Really appreciate you folks' help ....
HL

Head Lice did you ever get this issue sorted out? I think we're in the opposite boat. We have an '02 TJ and I think the factory box we bought goes in a newer model TJ. The plug from our box has 12 pins and from the radio has only 6.

Head Lice did you ever get this issue sorted out? I think we're in the opposite boat. We have an '02 TJ and I think the factory box we bought goes in a newer model TJ. The plug from our box has 12 pins and from the radio has only 6.
Hi monicasheree,
Ended up buying a console from an auto-wrecker ...... just for the OEM amp !
Quadratec supplied the speaker.
Not the greatest sound ...... but, I'm half deaf anyhow .... ;)