12V Compressor Price?

I have a CKMA12. It doesn't have a 100% duty cycle but will easy filled up my 35s from 12 to 25psi and on our last outing also filled @tomtaylz 33s in one cycle back to back.

The consensuses is you should be looking for the pump with the highest CFM you can afford. I paid 275 off amazon

Reactions: Chris
I have a CKMA12. It doesn't have a 100% duty cycle but will easy filled up my 35s from 12 to 25psi and on our last outing also filled @tomtaylz 33s in one cycle back to back.

The consensuses is you should be looking for the pump with the highest CFM you can afford. I paid 275 off amazon

Where did you mount yours? I've been looking at one for my Jeep. About how long does it take to air up your 35s from 12 to 25 psi?

Where did you mount yours? ABS tray I assume?

I'm sure it's in your build thread, I just don't recall.
It's all good :) Yeah it's on the ABS tray. I also made a mount for the quick release fitting to make it a bit more convinent to hook up.

EDIT: Added pic from build log

2qtlrlv.jpg

Reactions: rasband and Chris
Where did you mount yours? I've been looking at one for my Jeep. About how long does it take to air up your 35s from 12 to 25 psi?
I mounted mine in front of the airbox behind the passanger headlight. I would have used the abs tray but the location is already taken by the oem rubicon locker pumps. Did your tummy tuck require you to relocated the locker pumps or are they still in the stock location?

The average price of a 12V compressor with good amount of CFM is $300.00 -/+. ARB or Viair speaking.

I do went with ARB CKMA12V due to the size and paired with a 2.5 gal tank and is able to inflate a 35 x 12.5 R15 from 10 PSI to 27 PSI in around 1.75 minutes the pump making one pause while the tank empty out.

I have never attempt to run any power tool with this system.

Installed on the ABS tray and now that Hi-Lines are in I fabricate a bracket where the ABS tray mount was to have installed in the same area. Much cleaner and organized install.

One thing I have never complete is the pump filter intake relocation to inside the cab where it can breath cleaner and cool air but, i do recommend it if you head this direction

1542209002038.png

Reactions: lindsey97
I mounted mine in front of the airbox behind the passanger headlight. I would have used the abs tray but the location is already taken by the oem rubicon locker pumps. Did your tummy tuck require you to relocated the locker pumps or are they still in the stock location?

Nope, my tummy tuck had a bracket for the factory locker pumps. That's one of the nice things about the Rokmen skid!

I'm surprised yours fits in that location!

Nope, my tummy tuck had a bracket for the factory locker pumps. That's one of the nice things about the Rokmen skid!

I'm surprised yours fits in that location!
It required that I trimmed a very small amount of material off of the fan shroud. Then I just went to homedepot, got a piece of steel that roughly was the same width as the pump, cut it to size, drilled holes for the pump to attach, then attached the steel plate to the tub in front of the airbox. I wouldn't have needed to trim any plastic but being able to remove the filter element without the whole pump needing to be removed was a big concern for me.

I attached a photo of the little amount of plastic I had to trim.
J107672.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
It required that I trimmed a very small amount of material off of the fan shroud. Then I just went to homedepot, got a piece of steel that roughly was the same width as the pump, cut it to size, drilled holes for the pump to attach, then attached the steel plate to the tub in front of the airbox. I wouldn't have needed to trim any plastic but being able to remove the filter element without the whole pump needing to be removed was a big concern for me.

I attached a photo of the little amount of plastic I had to trim. View attachment 63313

Nice, that sounds like it works out pretty well then! I'll have to see where I end up mounting mine. I suppose it depends if I end up with the single ARB or the dual. The single unit seems like it could fit in a lot more places.

The above comment from Alex01 mentioning the CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating as being the only spec worth keeping in mind is 100% right on.

A compressor rated at 2 CFM with a 120 psi max rating will fill a tire twice as fast as a compressor rated at 1 CFM with a 300 psi max rating.

I'd go for a rating of nothing less than 1 CFM with 1.5 to 2 CFM a better way to go. My previous York belt-driven compressor and current CO2 tank put out 5 to 6 CFM so those 1.5 to 2 CFM recommendations are really just high enough to not be frustrating.

My first Jeep compressor 22 years ago plugged into the cigarette lighter and it took something like 45 minutes to refill four 32x11.50 tires from 12 to 28 psi. Very frustrating. My current CO2 tank takes about five minutes total to refill all four 35x12.50 tires from 8 psi to 25 psi. Yes, that's about one minute per tire plus walking around disconnecting/reconnecting the air chuck.

If you're willing to put something together, you can make up your own CO2 tank for something like $170. $100 for an aluminum 10 lb. CO2 tank, $40-50 for a regulator, and misc. small parts. My local welding gas supply store refills mine for $13-17 depending on how empty it is. I get 4-5 wheeling trips out of a tank full of CO2.

Last edited:
Reactions: B252
Nice, that sounds like it works out pretty well then! I'll have to see where I end up mounting mine. I suppose it depends if I end up with the single ARB or the dual. The single unit seems like it could fit in a lot more places.
The single is pretty easy to fit and since I only use it maybe every other month the increase in time over the dual wasn't worth the cost and pain of relocating my locker pumps in my mind. It takes me just under 2 min to fill up each tire from 12 to 25psi. With Tom's dual it took roughly 1:20 to fill the same tire from 10-25.

If you go with the dual get the same mount Tom has. It will make life so much easier. That said with the mount he used you will need to get a new hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the valve cover though since the Rubicons or perhaps all 2003+ jeeps have a different oem hose then the earlier models.

https://www.mountainoffroad.com/arb-air-compressor-mount-tj-99-06.html

Reactions: tomtaylz
Some good choices for 12v compressors are the ARB single and dual units (P/N CKMA12 @ $275 and P/N CKMTA12 @ $518 respectively on Amazon as of 11/14/18) and the Viair 400 series (400P portable @ $146, 400C @ $160 and 400H @ $175 on Amazon as of 11/14/18).

Viair 400 series: 1.86-2.11 cfm @ 30 psi depending on model, 33% duty cycle

ARB CKMA12 (single): 2.34 cfm @ 29 psi, 50% duty cycle

ARB CKMTA12 (twin): 4.68 cfm @ 29 psi, 100% duty cycle

Note: CFM ratings at 0 psi are meaningless; what counts is the cfm rating at pressure which better reflects real world performance. Also, as noted above, 100% duty cycle compressors sacrifice cfm in exchange for longer running time. The single piston compressors listed above have a greater cfm rating than most single piston 100% duty cycle compressors, which means that they are faster, and each can fill a set of 35" tires from trail psi to street psi long before exceeding the duty cycle, rendering a 100% duty cycle compressor unnecessary.

Here is a link to my simple onboard air system using a Viair 400H compressor: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-simple-onboard-air-for-your-tj-lj-viair-400h.10235/

compressor-installation-jpg.jpg

I paid $49 for the Harbor Freight portable that clips onto the battery terminals, it's 5 CFM at 150psi. I've used it every trip out since April, (almost every weekend) and it takes about 3 mins per tire, 33's X 12.5's. Will it last as long as the ARB's probably not but I can replace it 6 times for the same $$$. It's a good little compressor. It comes in a little carrycase and it fits right behind the driver seat in the foot well.

I paid $49 for the Harbor Freight portable that clips onto the battery terminals, it's 5 CFM at 150psi. I've used it every trip out since April, (almost every weekend) and it takes about 3 mins per tire, 33's X 12.5's. Will it last as long as the ARB's probably not but I can replace it 6 times for the same $$$. It's a good little compressor. It comes in a little carrycase and it fits right behind the driver seat in the foot well.
With those numbers it out performs Jerrys CO2 tank..... :p

I think your numbers are off.

Forget about 100% duty cycle for airing tires. You cannot compare Viair duty cycles to ARB duty cycle. Viair specs are @100psi or even 200psi and ARB specs are @29psi. These are very different numbers. Max CFM is all that matters for airing tires without regard to pressure. Just be sure to compare apples to apples, ARB uses 0psi and 29psi so find the corresponding specs on the competitor. Unless you have air suspension, a tank or air tools the CFM ratings at higher pressures are of no use. That is exactly why ARB doesn't list those specs, Viair does because they sell millions of these things for air suspensions that operate at high pressures. I've had good luck researching compressors here:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com

50%
. . . You cannot compare Viair duty cycles to ARB duty cycles. . . .

Actually one can, although not precisely.

ARB calculates the 50% duty cycle for its singe piston CKMA12 compressor at 29 psi.

Viair calculates the 33% duty cycle for its comparable 400 series compressors at 100 psi.

Since the 50% duty cycle for the ARB unit is calculated at close to street tire pressures with a 28 amp draw, and the company recommends a run time of no more than 30 minutes followed by a 30 minute cool down, all that is required to know if the duty cycle is sufficient for one's purposes is to determine whether the compressor can re-fill four tires of the requisite size in less than 30 minutes.

The 33% duty cycle for a Viair 400 series compressor appears at first glace to be shorter than the ARB, but unlike the ARB CKMA12 it is calculated at 100 psi - 3x typical street tire pressures. However, since the ARB and Viair units have nearly the same amp draw at 29-30 psi it can reasonably be inferred that both units will generate approximately the same degree of heat in a given period resulting in both having nearly the same real world duty cycle.

If one is concerned that there really is some practical difference in the ARB CKMA12 50% and Viair 400 33% duty cycles, or worried that the Viair duty cycle might be insufficient, remember that Viair recommends 20 minutes on and 40 off at 3 times typical street pressures but the relevant inquiry is still whether the compressor can re-fill four tires of the requisite size in less than the recommended 20 minute run time. If so, the duty cycle is plenty and it doesn't matter whether the compressor could most likely run the same 30 minutes as the ARB unit before needing to cool down.

BTW - as noted in Post #15, the ARB CKMA12 is rated at 2.34 cfm @ 29 psi and the Viair 400 series compressors are rated at 1.86-2.11 cfm @ 30 psi depending upon the particular model.

http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/PDF/compressorTechnicalSpecifications.pdf

https://www.viaircorp.com/tech/compressor-comparisons

Reactions: psrivats