12V Portable Heater / Defrost

Bloodlines33

Are there any recommendations for a "portable" or temporary heater/defrost combo? I've seen several $20 products on amazon that plug into the 12v cigarette lighter but basically all have terrible reviews. Here's an example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WRYG4J7/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For the short term I am bypassing my leaking heater core (just started today) but now that the cold has set in I'm looking for a temporary solution. Defrost is also necessary since bypassing the heater core also eliminates the defrost function from what I understand.

Are there any recommendations for a "portable" or temporary heater/defrost combo? I've seen several $20 products on amazon that plug into the 12v cigarette lighter but basically all have terrible reviews. Here's an example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WRYG4J7/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For the short term I am bypassing my leaking heater core (just started today) but now that the cold has set in I'm looking for a temporary solution. Defrost is also necessary since bypassing the heater core also eliminates the defrost function from what I understand.
maybe try a hairdryer/heat gun and a 12V to 120V inverter? whatever it isn't isn't going to work well, but it might be enough to get the job done.

what's wrong with an Ice scraper and a microfiber cloth to wipe off the fogging on the inside?

I don't have a hair dryer so I would have to buy something anyway and would not rather the additional inverter. Not a bad idea though.

I have an ice scraper but so far the immediate issue I'm facing is defogging instead of defrost I suppose. Nothing wrong with a microfiber cloth but could be difficult to keep swiping while I'm driving. The heater aspect to keep my hands is also desirable. (yes I know about gloves too). I'm not expecting to heat the whole cabin.

I used one from Harbour Freight in an old C10 i had. I would start truck. Plug in heater, go back inside and drink a cup of coffee. Then head out. It worked decent for defrosting windshield.

Reactions: Bloodlines33
After the factory heat died in my 88 Celica, I bought a plug-in heater to survive the Chicago winter. Plugged it in to the cigarette lighter and had nice hot air for about 2 minutes. Then the fuse blew.

Reactions: Blondie70
After the factory heat died in my 88 Celica, I bought a plug-in heater to survive the Chicago winter. Plugged it in to the cigarette lighter and had nice hot air for about 2 minutes. Then the fuse blew.
That seems to be one of the biggest complaints that it continuously blows fuses. Another reason why I want to stay away from an inverter.

That seems to be one of the biggest complaints that it continuously blows fuses. Another reason why I want to stay away from an inverter.
Unless you wire a high amp socket directly to the battery (using appropriately sized fuse and wiring), I'm not sure what those fuse-blowing heaters are good for.

I agree most cheap ones don't work as you'd hope and blow fuses. Any ideas on perhaps a more expensive and better quality unit? Again, as a band-aid until I can do (pay for) the heater core replacement?

I agree most cheap ones don't work as you'd hope and blow fuses. Any ideas on perhaps a more expensive and better quality unit? Again, as a band-aid until I can do (pay for) the heater core replacement?
I wish I could help. I ended up giving my old Celica away to charity. I claimed max blue book value for the donation on my taxes and ended up getting about $1,000 back from the IRS. Ended up being a decent deal for me.

not ideal, but they do make fancy cloths on sticks that might help with the fogging, annoying to keep doing though.

it might be more for our redneck fix than the actual one, but there might be some way for you to scoop hot air from around the block/exhaust.

I am most definitely grasping at straws here, none of these are good solutions, but some warm clothes and a cloth might get you through the winter until you can fix it for reals.

How about a new heater core plumbed into the cab and set on the floor till you get around to replacing it? Two holes in the firewall for the hoses and those can be capped/plugged when you pull the hoses. A simple T or gate valve to regulate the flow.

Check out the amazon diesel heaters. They are like $150

We're getting warmer with ideas, I love it! Thank you there are a lot of things I would not have known to look into.

I am going to heater core bypass for the moment while I find out the best option. 5/8"-3/4" U hose + Dorman/Help heater hose connectors, parts # 47094 5/8 # 47095 3/4

-Plumb in new core/Mojave heater: Definitely better than a cheap electric heat "blower". Requires new holes in firewall probably? DrDmoney WSS

-Evacuate AC system and run heater hoses through the AC core: Sounds a bit more involved than a heater core bypass and if I'm having a pro evac the AC I would probably have them do this too, as I don't have the confidence not to break more things. LukesfirstJeep

B00mb00m a little rich for my blood. That's like 10 cheap ones.

We're getting warmer with ideas, I love it! Thank you there are a lot of things I would not have known to look into.

I am going to heater core bypass for the moment while I find out the best option. 5/8"-3/4" U hose + Dorman/Help heater hose connectors, parts # 47094 5/8 # 47095 3/4

-Plumb in new core/Mojave heater: Definitely better than a cheap electric heat "blower". Requires new holes in firewall probably? DrDmoney WSS

-Evacuate AC system and run heater hoses through the AC core: Sounds a bit more involved than a heater core bypass and if I'm having a pro evac the AC I would probably have them do this too, as I don't have the confidence not to break more things. LukesfirstJeep

B00mb00m a little rich for my blood. That's like 10 cheap ones.

if you use the ac core (interesting concept) make sure the compressor is disconnected so the clutch won’t engage, the compressor uses the Freon for lubrication And you could burn it up if it came on.

Every truck stop in the country has small 12v ceramic heaters, usually made by a company named roadpro. Might suit your needs.

Reactions: WSS