12V Selectable Backup Lights

Rook

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A fairly common modification for us Jeep Wrangler TJ owners is the addition of front or rear lighting on the vehicle. When doing this, you'll have to add a relay to the circuit to control the higher wattage lights. The stock wiring on a Jeep Wrangler TJ is simply not up to the task of controlling 110 watts of 12V light.

After adding these new backup lights, often times people find themselves wishing they could turn them on other than having them only go on when the vehicle is in reverse. This can come in handy when you're trying to perform repairs on the trail, or when you need the extra light for a number of other occasions.

The following is one method you can use for your wiring project.

IMG_0024.JPG

The wiring diagram above provides you with two methods by which to control your vehicle's new backup lights. When the Selection Switch is in position 1, 12 volts is applied to the power relay's coil and causes it to energize. The 12V on pin 30 is applied to pin 87 and that 12V is then applied to the new backup lights.

When the Selection Switch is in position 2, the relay operates in the same manner as just described. The difference is that the 12V to operate the relay coil comes from the vehicle's backup light switch. As such, the new backup lights will only illuminate when you shift your transmission into reverse. (It should be noted that the vehicle's ignition switch would need to be in the on position.)

If you want to fully disable the new backup lights, make sure the selector switch is one with a on-off-on configuration. When you put the switch in the off position, this would allow neither circuit to provide power to the relay. This would be beneficial if you the state you reside in has a vehicle inspection program which requires your stock backup lights to function only as delivered from the factory (in other words, you can't have extra backup lights, since it didn't come that way from the factory).

I can't guarantee that your vehicles fuse panel and wire colors are the same as those on every TJ. However, here are a few things that might help make this project a little easier.
  • The +12V wire that feeds the factory backup lights comes from the fuse block (behind the glove box), fuse #7, which is listed as a 10 amp fuse.
  • The wire (color) that goes from the fuse to the backup light switch is violet with a white stripe.
  • The wire (color) that goes from the backup light switch to your backup lights is violet with a black stripe.

Reactions: Blade and derekmac
I did this mod and I think it is worth while, even if you have LED tail lights like those from Savvy because of the ability to light up a campsite or work area with them.

But if you don't want your stock reverse lights to come on when you turn on the aux. lights, be sure to splice a diode into the wire that you are connecting to the stock reverse light power wire, to prevent power from getting to the stock lights when the switch is flipped.

Reactions: Chris
Novice question: Can I change out my incandescent back up lights for much brighter LED's to simply have more light when backing up? If the lights have a 10 amp fuse, the wiring should be capable of 50 watts. 30-40 watt LED's should be much brighter and within specs for wiring and fuse.

Am I thinking correctly? Does anyone make LED replacements like this?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Novice question: Can I change out my incandescent back up lights for much brighter LED's to simply have more light when backing up? If the lights have a 10 amp fuse, the wiring should be capable of 50 watts. 30-40 watt LED's should be much brighter and within specs for wiring and fuse.

Am I thinking correctly? Does anyone make LED replacements like this?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
You can get LED replacement bulbs just about anywhere that will do this. Just look for the correct bulb number. (1156 I think).