130k & going strong

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
Chrysler, a world leader in reliable check engine light technology since the 1980’s

Burning as bright as the day I brought her home in 2016

check engine.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_engine_light#History

Mine was on around the 90k mark 4 years ago. Solved the issue, and haven't seen it since :D I'm at 132k now

• Wow
Reactions: tomtaylz
Are you able to pass your state's inspection with that light on?

Yes. My TJ is exempt from emissions testing because PA only requires it if you drive over 5,000 miles/year & I don’t come near that, I just hit 2k this year. My daily driver gets both however.

Mine was on around the 90k mark 4 years ago. Solved the issue, and haven't seen it since :D I'm at 132k now

check the bulb, you may have a lemon :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: bedhed
After I fixed my cats, my check engine light went off and hasn’t come back on since. It was on for 10 years straight before that, but with 230k, I’m still calling no CEL a victory.

I used to get a CEL for a very small evap leak, but after trying about 4 different gas caps, it hasn't happened again :D

I used to get a CEL for a very small evap leak, but after trying about 4 different gas caps, it hasn't happened again :D
Same happened to me. Easiest fix so far! Now I have a P0700 that I've done a little reading over online. As of now, I'm getting the feeling that the CEL's orange glow may be here to stay.

Same happened to me. Easiest fix so far! Now I have a P0700 that I've done a little reading over online. As of now, I'm getting the feeling that the CEL's orange glow may be here to stay.

P0700 is the TCM. In your '06 it is in the PCM. I had that same code, and some others. I started getting hard 1st to 2nd shifts. I ended up having to get a new PCM. You can disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the code may go away for a while. It could be months or days. In my case it started out that it went away for over a year, then a few months, then it was shifting hard all the time. P0700 shouldn't turn the CEL on though. Why, I don't know, but the code will be there if you have a code reader that can read it.

I'd recommend a PCM from Mark at WranglerFix. I've had one for just over 3000 miles and everything has been as smooth as can be.

Reactions: bromel and bedhed
P0700 is the TCM. In your '06 it is in the PCM. I had that same code, and some others. I started getting hard 1st to 2nd shifts. I ended up having to get a new PCM. You can disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the code may go away for a while. It could be months or days. In my case it started out that it went away for over a year, then a few months, then it was shifting hard all the time. P0700 shouldn't turn the CEL on though. Why, I don't know, but the code will be there if you have a code reader that can read it.

I'd recommend a PCM from Mark at WranglerFix. I've had one for just over 3000 miles and everything has been as smooth as can be.
Awesome! Thanks for that info. I'll check that out. Everything I've read up to this point could be summed up with "0700 is from the TCM, but it's just a weird code and doesn't mean anything."

You've helped me with that one. I have just recently started noticing hard shifts. One last week and another this week. And sure enough it happened as I was pulling away at a traffic light. The 0700 has been showing for about two months, but haven't felt hard shifts until now.

I think I've jinxed myself. I think it was either here or another forum a few months ago where I said that mine had not been shifting hard.😣

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Awesome! Thanks for that info. I'll check that out. Everything I've read up to this point could be summed up with "0700 is from the TCM, but it's just a weird code and doesn't mean anything."

You've helped me with that one. I have just recently started noticing hard shifts. One last week and another this week. And sure enough it happened as I was pulling away at a traffic light. The 0700 has been showing for about two months, but haven't felt hard shifts until now.

I think I've jinxed myself. I think it was either here or another forum a few months ago where I said that mine had not been shifting hard.😣

I had another code too, but can't remember the number. I basically was saying the transmission was overheating. I have a transmission cooler and a temp gauge and the gauge was not reading any different than what always has.

I called Mark at WranglerFix on the phone to order it and talked to him about 20 minutes about PCM's, TCM's and other things I don't know anything about. LOL He was good to talk to and answered any questions I had.

Oh, I had an older Actron 9180 code reader that didn't read transmission codes. After talking to another member I got an Actron 9690 and it reads TCM codes.

P0714 (trans temp sensor intermittent), P0218 (high temp operation activation) were the other codes I had. The P0700 is Transmission Control System Malfunction.

Ah! Okay I gotcha. The first time I saw it was through the Jeep's display, which isn't super helpful. It did give the number at least. How much does a new PCM set us back? I'm almost afraid to know.😆 No other way to fix it though, right?

Not really any other way, at least not that I know of. The TCM is integrated into the PCM on '05 and '06 models. The site shows $573 for a Rubicon with auto trans or a non Rubicon with auto. That is with a 1 year warranty. I paid the $75 extra for a 2 year warranty.

Yikes. Not terribly bad though, considering. That may fix something else I've been chasing. I have yet to find any culprits outside of the PCM, but it's my voltage. I'm idling at 14+ volts, with very brief spikes at 15.1 volts. That one has had me baffled for several months now, but there haven't been visible effects from it. I really appreciate the info. I'd like to say that the bright orange CEL would serve as a easy remember for me, but I'm going to make myself a note to give him a call.😆 Thanks again!