15” big brake kit, or just replace with stock parts?

xxdabroxx

TJ Addict
So on my way home this afternoon the Jeep started pulling to the right. Figured it was a stuck caliper but it ended up being a notch in the knuckle that the pad fell into and got stuck (both knuckles have the notch). I went to the parts store and got new cheap pads to bandage the Jeep back together temporarily. the new pads don’t fall into the notch and get stuck like the worn out ones did.

So I need new knuckles. I also need new pads and rotors.
since I need new knuckles do I go ahead and get the BMB 15“ big brake kit? By the time I bought knuckles, rotors, calipers, and bmb pads I think I’d be spending about $600 min. @mrblaine what are your thoughts, I’m only running 33” tires and likely will be for the next couple of years but I’d eventually like to run 35’s.

20200228_164119.jpg

20200228_164124.jpg

Blaine can tell you what to do but my comment is that depending on your wheels and backspacing you may fit 16”. I have 16” BMB kit in 15” wheels.

Not saying you need it just more info.

I’m in a similar predicament, excepting the knuckles. Looking at the BMB pads and Centric Premium Rotors. Hoping that will be sufficient for 33’s.

I'm pretty sure Blaine is going to tell you that you don't need a big brake kit with 33" tires, and that BMB pads will be all you need.

I can tell you however that on my black TJ I ran the Vanco 16" big brake kit with 285s (33s), and it performed excellent. I never once regretted buying it.

Here's a thread of mine that reviews the 16" big brake kit:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/my-review-of-the-vanco-16-big-brake-kit.55/

If you have access to a mig or someone who does, you can fill the divots and grind them down. Then get yourself some Centric rotors and Black Magic Brakes pads.

So on my way home this afternoon the Jeep started pulling to the right. Figured it was a stuck caliper but it ended up being a notch in the knuckle that the pad fell into and got stuck (both knuckles have the notch). I went to the parts store and got new cheap pads to bandage the Jeep back together temporarily. the new pads don’t fall into the notch and get stuck like the worn out ones did.

So I need new knuckles. I also need new pads and rotors.
since I need new knuckles do I go ahead and get the BMB 15“ big brake kit? By the time I bought knuckles, rotors, calipers, and bmb pads I think I’d be spending about $600 min. @mrblaine what are your thoughts, I’m only running 33” tires and likely will be for the next couple of years but I’d eventually like to run 35’s.

View attachment 143082
View attachment 143083
If you can't fix the knuckles I can. It will cost you about 50 bucks to fix both and I can fix a set and send them to you, you swap, send me yours. We can get both in a large flat rate for around 20 bucks in shipping.

I can get them welded up. I suppose the mig wire would be harder than the cast iron and it isn't like that's a heat treated surface the welding is going to affect. Shouldn't even have to take them off the axle to do it.

Thanks guys that will save me a bunch of money.

Is that divots pretty common on these knuckles?

I can get them welded up. I suppose the mig wire would be harder than the cast iron and it isn't like that's a heat treated surface the welding is going to affect. Shouldn't even have to take them off the axle to do it.

It is quite common, I mig welded mine a few years ago and no problem since.

Reactions: xxdabroxx

In and of itself, Mig electrode is not much harder than the cast iron. During the welding process though, it pulls carbon out of the iron alloy and gets about as hard as carbide and very hard to drill or grind.

Just to let anyone following along know, I placed an order with Black Magic Brakes Saturday night and the parts arrived today. 3 working days is pretty darn good for a small operation. Thank you much @mrblaine
I know this is from last year, but wanted to know how the upgrade is holding up. I'm debating between the rotors and pads upgrade, or the whole 15" upgrade.