15” vs 17” wheels

20201206_094906.jpg

35x12.5x15 on 15x8 wheels.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Sudo
20170415_080851.jpg

315/70/17 basically 35s on 17" wheels.

Man that is an old picture, that is what she looked like when I bought her.

The biggest issue with a 15 inch rim and a 35 inch tire is that you still likely run small stock brakes. IMO, big brakes support bigger and heavier tires.
I installed the BMB brake pads but do still have the stock calipers. So I guess I’m somewhere between stock and a full brake replacement.

I went from 16/32s to 15/33s for my recent upgrade. I like the 15/33s a lot. I think 17s go with 35s better.

Reactions: Alex01
When I had the JKU I was running 17s and 37s. Looked just right. Ride was comfortable. Now with the 15s on the 33"(32" really) feels about the same on the TJ

My rule of thumb is that the wheel should be no more than half the tire diameter. 33 on a 17 isn't there but it's close enough for my eyes.

You mean like this kind of weird? FWIW, I'm old too and like the look of a 17" wheel on a 33" or larger tire. If it was a tire smaller than a 33, I'd say a 15" would be better suited.

View attachment 213413

Yeah, that Jeep in that pic looks weird to me. To each their own, I'm not trying to insult anyone's rig, it's just something about the tire to wheel proportions my eye doesn't like.

Yeah, that Jeep in that pic looks weird to me. To each their own, I'm not trying to insult anyone's rig, it's just something about the tire to wheel proportions my eye doesn't like.
I think its more of a "to much lift for that tire/wheel combo" kind of thing. But to each there own. I like 32s or 33s on 17" JK moab wheels. Alot of us run that combo. As it looks good but is cheap as sh*t. Lol.

I honestly change my mind all the time with the 17 vs 15 debate. I see some rides with either that look great. I have a couple dream pics that i would like to turn my stock Jeep into. One has 17" rims. The other 15".

I think it has equally as much to do with types of lift and amount of lift. As it just has to do about rim size. But its all personal perspective. Some guys like yellow Jeeps. Lmao. Some dont. ;) (But only about 3% of cars come in yellow. So if nothing else you have a unique perspective. :) )

07+ JK rims are 5 x 5 lug pattern. your TJ is a 5 x 4.5 lug pattern so they wont fit.

There are 5 - 4.5 adapters available which will also act as a spacer.