15" vs 17" wheels?

Stick to the 17s i have or buy 15s and what brand tires do you prefer?

• Total voters

Saber Jumah

Ok, here is where I'm at. I lifted my tj 4.5 suspension and it had an inch of body lift before i bought it. I wanna go with 35 all terrains. I'll be regearing soon and admire the look of 35s. 33s are small and 37s are extreme.
I currently have 17" rims debating whether to stick to them or buy some 15s.
Then the second dilemma is coopers, bfgs or falkins.
20180810_222936.jpg
thanks all. Choose to answers for the pole question and make my life better.

I would run 15s, you'll get more sidewall that way. Only way I'd run 17s (which I have) is if you have 35 inch tires or larger.

This is by no means a fact, it's just my opinion. I am very, very happy with my BF Goodrich KM2s, but if I replace them, I'll be going with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlars like @Jerry Bransford runs. I like the fact that they come in a C load, whereas all the others are E or D load ratings.

15" rims are so 2003.

Personally if the balance of use slands more towards offroad than on get the 15" wheels for all of the reasons listed above. If it's more an on-road vehicle keep the 17's it'll be a far nicer thing to drive.

Reactions: Saber Jumah
15” tire offer you cheaper tires and wheels also load range C option tires for more flexible sidewalls. 17” wheels look good tires and wheels are more expensive and most tires in that size are geared for larger trucks and are a load range D or E and sidewalls do not flex very well. The only advantage is it allows for a big brake kit

I just went from BFG KO2 315/70/17 on 17" steel wheels to 35" Wrangler MT/R on 15" alloy wheels. There is no doubt that the MT/R aired down to 12 psi on the 15" rims performed much better and felt much better on my normal trails than the KO2. I went from bent and beat steel wheels with worn KO2s to a brand new set of wheels and tires that were balanced so it definitely drives much nicer on the road, but that is not a fair comparison and I can't remember what the KO2s felt like when they were new but I remember being happy when they were new. I also like the look of the 15" wheels better (makes the tires seem bigger).

I am running stock brake rotors and don't plan on going to a big brake kit any time soon. That question to me is the one that would drive what wheel size I would pick. If I had no plans to run bigger rotors, I would go with 15" wheels (for more sidewall and looks). If I was considering going to a big brake kit in the near future, I would go with 17" (to allow for bigger rotors).

I just went through this. My Jeep needed tires badly, and I made the choice to hunt around and find 15's to keep from buying both wheels and tires. The 17's were easier to find for sure.

Reactions: Saber Jumah
As much as I'd like to go with 35x17" tires, where there is a lot of selection of all-terrain tires, they all seem to be load range E, with a few Ds. Those are just too stiff and heavy for our Jeeps. The 15" tires have a lot of load range C options.

I’m lifting the 2003 TJ in a week. I’m going with 35 MT Baja MTZ with 17” wheels. Thought the 15s were too small. Hope it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT