$16 Under Dash Light Conversion

This is a great thread and almost exactly what I need. All of my exterior lights have been converted to LEDs. Now I need to do the interior lights, but I am having trouble finding quantities and I want to make sure I am purchasing the correct bulb type. As far as I can tell I will need both T5 and T10 connections.

According to the owner's manual here are the OEM bulbs and quantities where they were actually stated.

Automatic Transmission Indicator bulb 658
Under Dash bulb 906 quantity (1)
Heater Control bulb 194 quantity (2)
Instrument Telltale bulb 74
Instrument Illumination bulb 103
Sound bar bulb 912

I think the sound bar bulbs are the equivalent of the dome light and I think that I want to keep that one colored white. All of the others I would like to change to blue LED.

I am pretty sure the Auto/Trans Indicator is the bulb in the cosole for the shifter. Heater Control is behind the heater knobs, I think. I am not sure if the Telltale bulbs can be or should be changed to another color because I think those are the warning lights for low fuel, check engine and...

Any guidance here will be most appreciated. I have looked at Amazon, superbrightleds, lamptech, quadratec, 4wd and a ton of other sites with very few answers.

This is a great thread and almost exactly what I need. All of my exterior lights have been converted to LEDs. Now I need to do the interior lights, but I am having trouble finding quantities and I want to make sure I am purchasing the correct bulb type. As far as I can tell I will need both T5 and T10 connections.

According to the owner's manual here are the OEM bulbs and quantities where they were actually stated.

Automatic Transmission Indicator bulb 658
Under Dash bulb 906 quantity (1)
Heater Control bulb 194 quantity (2)
Instrument Telltale bulb 74
Instrument Illumination bulb 103
Sound bar bulb 912

I think the sound bar bulbs are the equivalent of the dome light and I think that I want to keep that one colored white. All of the others I would like to change to blue LED.

I am pretty sure the Auto/Trans Indicator is the bulb in the cosole for the shifter. Heater Control is behind the heater knobs, I think. I am not sure if the Telltale bulbs can be or should be changed to another color because I think those are the warning lights for low fuel, check engine and...

Any guidance here will be most appreciated. I have looked at Amazon, superbrightleds, lamptech, quadratec, 4wd and a ton of other sites with very few answers.

I replaced all this in mine to cool white bulbs. I don’t have the part numbers off hand but can get them for you tonight or tomorrow when I get home.

You might not want to change the high beam bulb to LED. I tried a few different kinds and even the lleast bright LED I could find was blindingly bright in there. I ended up going back to the original bulb so I could keep my retinas. LOL

For the underhood light, this one has worked well for me in the OEM light housing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HS5H7Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The twisted end pieces make the light shine down toward an rhe engine instead of off to the side.

That is a really good point. I guess that I need to find bulbs that aren't as bright and it would be great if they were dimmable like the ones in the instrument cluster. I'd like to keep my retinas too. I knew there was a reason I joined this forum. It's good for my Jeep and my health.

That is a really good point. I guess that I need to find bulbs that aren't as bright and it would be great if they were dimmable like the ones in the instrument cluster. I'd like to keep my retinas too. I knew there was a reason I joined this forum. It's good for my Jeep and my health.

Here's what I got from Superbrightleds.com

- Cluster Lights - 74-xHP3 (5 each)

- Climate Controls - NEO4-xHP (3 each)

- O/D Off switch (if you have an automatic) - The same NEO4-xHP as climate controls (1 each)

- The orange indicator light for the O/D Off switch - NEO3-xHP (1 each)

- Auto Trans shifter plate lighting - I don't remember exactly which of these I used, but it was either 194-x4-32 or this one, 194-xHP (1 each)

- Footwell lights - 921-x12 (2 each)

- Sound Pod Dome Lights - 4410-x9 (2 each)

As far as the high beam indicator, I tried 74-xHP and it was very bright, then I tried 74-x and it was still too bright for me, so I put the stock bulb back in.

All the "x"'s in the part numbers will change based on what color you choose when you order.

I ordered 1 or 2 extras of them just in case one didn't work. My cluster, climate controls, transmission shifter and O/D Off switch all dimmed with the control on the turn signal stalk. You may know already, but put them in, test the light. If it doesn't light up, flip it around because the polarity may have been backwards.

It looks like superbrightleds.com has discontinued some of these now though, but they list a suggested replacement on their page.

Here's what I got from Superbrightleds.com

- Cluster Lights - 74-xHP3 (5 each)

- Climate Controls - NEO4-xHP (3 each)

- O/D Off switch (if you have an automatic) - The same NEO4-xHP as climate controls (1 each)

- The orange indicator light for the O/D Off switch - NEO3-xHP (1 each)

- Auto Trans shifter plate lighting - I don't remember exactly which of these I used, but it was either 194-x4-32 or this one, 194-xHP (1 each)

- Footwell lights - 921-x12 (2 each)

- Sound Pod Dome Lights - 4410-x9 (2 each)

As far as the high beam indicator, I tried 74-xHP and it was very bright, then I tried 74-x and it was still too bright for me, so I put the stock bulb back in.

All the "x"'s in the part numbers will change based on what color you choose when you order.

I ordered 1 or 2 extras of them just in case one didn't work. My cluster, climate controls, transmission shifter and O/D Off switch all dimmed with the control on the turn signal stalk. You may know already, but put them in, test the light. If it doesn't light up, flip it around because the polarity may have been backwards.

It looks like superbrightleds.com has discontinued some of these now though, but they list a suggested replacement on their page.

Thanks a bunch. I will try superbrightleds with the information.ation you gave me.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I think I got everything I need and ordered a couple extras. Thanks again for your help.
Screenshot_20181110-081724.png

I just upgraded all my exterior lights to LED's (except the side markers) and everything went smoothly until the driver's side parking light. When I put that LED light in it all went haywire. Of note - I don't have the LED relay but I will be purchasing today, instead I cut the circuit in the existing relay as shown in other posts and Stu's site.

Anyway, after I put the driver's side LED in the blinkers would work, at a normal speed, with my lights off, but the entire dash would turn on and off with the blinkers. When I turned on my lights the blinkers wouldn't work at all and the left blinkers light on the dash would stay light.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? I guess I didn't try to flip around the LED, is it possible I had it plugged in so the polarities were reversed? Not sure if that matters with LED's..

My passenger side underdash light was out...so I desided to do a cheap upgrade. So of coarse I jumped on some websites and looked up what lights and things I needed. I found the conversions on Amazon of coarse.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5JWBMA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DY9CSQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Then I removed the original Bulb and cut the wires to the original mount as close as possible, leaving as much stock wire to work with...

View attachment 19904
View attachment 19905
View attachment 19906

I needed to drill the back of the original mount out just a bit to fit both wires thru, then install the new LED adapter and it locks itself in place.

View attachment 19908

Then rewire it back up..Test as you go for connection...

View attachment 19909

Then Screw it back in original location...

View attachment 19910

LED's come in multiple colors...these are blue (picture doesn't represent real color well), but they are twice as bright as stock bulbs, last longer and are cheaper to buy and use. These same size bulbs worked great in my Stock sound bar center light in my 98' TJ also. Hope this helps some of you, it worked for me.

View attachment 19907
What year is your TJ? In my 2001, I replaced my under dash lights and overhead dome light with LED's and they were direct plug ins, no need cut wires or convert anything. The under the dash LED's are large and I cannot replace the globe light covers, which is a bonus IMO. The dome light was perfect, and I was able to still use the clear plastic cover.

Last edited:
Weird question and sorry if this is a de-rail. Does anyone know how many volts I should be seeing at the plug for the Automatic Transmission Indicator bulb 658? The light is very dim in my 06 TJ and I want to be sure it's a problem with the bulb before I order a LED replacement online. I guess it's another reason to be wary of automatics.

I use 2 of these red led bulbs and just put them in the existing sockets under the dash up front, really good for the night vision in the foot wells.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/922/

Interior soundbar light, activated by rotating headlight knob. Got cool white, neat look to have cool white for the rear and the red in the foot wells.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/919/

Rear taillights- function as rear running tail lights and dual function for brake light. Much brighter than stock.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...n-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit/2625/5698/

Third brake light stock
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...n-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit/2625/5698/

Under hood bulb - big improvement but really need two lights to really see. Might do an additional light and harness to operate off the same circuit when you open and close the hood to activate/deactivate.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/561-led-bulb-9-smd-led-festoon-44mm-car/244/1165/

Amber side marker - led makes a difference.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/923/

Amber Blinker - same.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...on-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/3557/7522/

Total cost about $100 to replace every single light bulb in and out with LED, (EXCEPT FOR THE HEADLIGHTS) I got some duplicates in that total cost number, some cool white color I might try out behind the red tail light lenses (but everyone says use a red colored led bulb behind red colored lenses, same with amber colored lenses) cool white duplicates for foot wells if I want interior colors to match. I really do dig the red footwell led bulbs! I think that's everything!
This one points the light down toward engine
Screenshot_20190322-074821_Amazon Shopping.jpg
20190321_173043.jpg

If you are looking to hook up lights in the footwells to come on with the daytime running lights and headlights, where did you guys wire into for this?

If you are looking to hook up lights in the footwells to come on with the daytime running lights and headlights, where did you guys wire into for this?
This seems like a bad idea as it will reduce the contrast in lighting between inside and out making it hard to safely see objects. It would be akin to driving around with the dome light on.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
This seems like a bad idea as it will reduce the contrast in lighting between inside and out making it hard to safely see objects. It would be akin to driving around with the dome light on.

Red lighting in foot wells would NOT effect contrast. It is used by professional drivers everyday. Not sure how this compares with a dome light? I dont remember asking about that.

Reactions: oldtimer
Red lighting in foot wells would NOT effect contrast. It is used by professional drivers everyday.
Well certianly a red light does change the equation
Not sure how this compares with a dome light? I dont remember asking about that.
No you did not ask about a dome light however its called being analogous.

I changed all of my instrument panel bulbs to blue a few years ago. Unfortunately, my high beam indicator light blended in with the instrument panel, causing me to forget that the high beams were on. I changed that indicator to red a couple of weeks ago in my 2006. Here is the link for that specific blue size for those interested.
High Beam Indicator Bulb
I haven't had a problem with the high beam indicator being too bright when driving.

My passenger side underdash light was out...so I desided to do a cheap upgrade. So of coarse I jumped on some websites and looked up what lights and things I needed. I found the conversions on Amazon of coarse.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5JWBMA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DY9CSQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Then I removed the original Bulb and cut the wires to the original mount as close as possible, leaving as much stock wire to work with...

View attachment 19904
View attachment 19905
View attachment 19906

I needed to drill the back of the original mount out just a bit to fit both wires thru, then install the new LED adapter and it locks itself in place.

View attachment 19908

Then rewire it back up..Test as you go for connection...

View attachment 19909

Then Screw it back in original location...

View attachment 19910

LED's come in multiple colors...these are blue (picture doesn't represent real color well), but they are twice as bright as stock bulbs, last longer and are cheaper to buy and use. These same size bulbs worked great in my Stock sound bar center light in my 98' TJ also. Hope this helps some of you, it worked for me.

View attachment 19907

Just want to say THANK YOU to the OP and others who posted on this topic. Swapped mine out this past weekend and everything went flawlessly. SUPER easy to wire up connections and get a whole new look into my TJ to really make it mine.