17 inch JK wheels on a TJ—Will this work?

DrAndrewG

Looking at getting bigger Rims for the TJ - Have a one inch body and engine lift
There seems to be a lot of JK rims for sale over here in Australia

Just wondering is this a straight bolt on affair or are there other issues to deal with

Reactions: Arrcee
I believe I read that the bolt pattern is different between the two. I am almost certain there is an adapter somewhere to allow this though.

It'll work. You'll need an adapter since the bolt pattern is different . Wheel+tire will likely stick a bit outside the fenders. Our Lord and Savior @Chris is running 17" AEV wheels made for a JK in his TJ.

Reactions: IPerkWVU and Chris
If you are going to run the factory JK wheels, you may want to consider getting a spacer a bit thicker than 1.25". I have quite a bit of rub with the factory sized wheels and tires. I was going to try 2" spacers, but ended up with new wheels instead.

Hi guys,
I’m new to the Jeep scene. I recently picked up a 1999 tj Sahara white decently low mileage 79k. I got a really good deal on some 2015 jk wheels 17x7.5. I know I have to get adapters for the lug pattern. Only thing I’m hung up on is spacing. I wanted to get the wheels to at least the edge of the flare even if they came out slightly past that would be ok. Any help would be appreciated.

This is mine with factory JK moabs...

20180401_124317.jpg

I used a 1.25" thick adapter. If I were going to keep them, I'd move them out with a 2" spacer. The nice thing with the 1.25" is that they will fully stuff under the flare.

Last edited:
Instead of starting a new thread, on that line of questions. Do the 18" Sahara wheels have the same 6" back spacing? I have a 06 LJ with what I am told has a 2.5" lift and no body lift. It has 31-10.5/15 Toyo open Country A/Ts right now and they look a tad small. I've found some 18" polished wheels real cheap. I'm thinking about 33-12.5/18 or a 32s. Thanks for the help.

20180913_095535.jpg

Looking at getting bigger Rims for the TJ - Have a one inch body and engine lift
There seems to be a lot of JK rims for sale over here in Australia
Just wondering is this a straight bolt on affair or are there other issues to deal with
Hi Doc,
How did you get on with the adaptors? I have just got hold of some 17" JK rims and ordered adaptors from eBay.
I got them from the US as I think there is a legality issue with purchasing them here.
Cheers,
rc

Instead of starting a new thread, on that line of questions. Do the 18" Sahara wheels have the same 6" back spacing? I have a 06 LJ with what I am told has a 2.5" lift and no body lift. It has 31-10.5/15 Toyo open Country A/Ts right now and they look a tad small. I've found some 18" polished wheels real cheap. I'm thinking about 33-12.5/18 or a 32s. Thanks for the help.
Go with 32s. 2.5" of lift isn't really enough to run 33's

Reactions: Chris
Maybe a dumb question. Do you also use an adapter to mount the new spare?

I put 17" JK wheels on my LJ with a 3" lift. The 32" wheels fit fine with an adapter. The spare was another story. My tire hit the top of the bumper. I had to buy an adapter that moved the tire up and out.