$18 Fuel Injectors?

M35A2

TJ Enthusiast
So when I bought my TJ ('99 Sahara), it was only running on three cylinders and three of the injectors weren't even clicking (1, 2 & 6, listened with a stethoscope). Pulled the fuel rail today and lots of ugly brownness came out of the #6 hole and the inlets to the back three injectors were pretty nasty so I'm just going to replace all the injectors and all the pigtails and start fresh (as well as drop the tank and flush the fuel lines.

My question is this: How good can the $18 injectors from Rock Auto be? I've never had any problem with any parts from them before but I'm wary of something that's half the price of the Standard Products part.

:unsure:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ultra-power,FJ454,fuel+injector,6224

Last edited:
Yeah, not interested in dropping $450 for fuel injectors. Especially since $5 of that price is a core charge, which would imply that they're rebuilt.

Before replacing the fuel injectors, thoroughly inspect their wiring harness where it passes around the threaded stud next to the backside of the valve cover. It commonly gets worn there causing the wiring to short to ground via that threaded stud. It's rare for multiple injectors to go bad.

Reactions: Cisco Kid and M35A2
Just clean the ones you have. Plenty of information on that floating around. That way you can keep the Mopar injectors.

Without a flow bench, ultrasonic cleaner and spray pattern analysis, shade tree injector cleaning is dodgy, at best.

Besides that, it's a 20 year old vehicle so there's a pretty good chance that they aren't even factory injectors anyway.

Jerry, thanks for the heads up on the harness. 👍

One last thing I'd try before pulling the injectors is to buy enough Chevron Techtron (one bottle I think is correct) and run that through then if that doesn't do it then feel free to tear into it. It is the ONLY additive I would trust since it is used by majors to meet Top Tier specs. GM also used to require techs to treat with it before warranty for certain injector issues. Almost everything else on the additive shelf is fairy dust and useless.

And I second what Jerry said.

The Jeep isn't even on the road right now, so that's not really an option. Plus I'm going to drop the tank and clean it out, too.

I found a 6-injector rebuild kit for $9 and free shipping so I guess I'll see about cleaning them myself. If they still suck, it's only a small investment.

Reactions: Phil Younger
So when I bought my TJ ('99 Sahara), it was only running on three cylinders and three of the injectors weren't even clicking (1, 2 & 6, listened with a stethoscope). Pulled the fuel rail today and lots of ugly brownness came out of the #6 hole and the inlets to the back three injectors were pretty nasty so I'm just going to replace all the injectors and all the pigtails and start fresh (as well as drop the tank and flush the fuel lines.

My question is this: How good can the $18 injectors from Rock Auto be? I've never had any problem with any parts from them before but I'm wary of something that's half the price of the Standard Products part.

:unsure:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ultra-power,FJ454,fuel+injector,6224

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with 230K. I replaced the fuel injectors with Standard Motor Products injectors (look like the same ones as your link) and they work very well. Plus, the price was nice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C83LQA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I pulled 12 injectors from my outboards last year and sent them to injector-rehab.com. <$20 per and very quick turnaround.

I really don't think you can do what the shops do on your own.

I completely agree. I already checked out Injector Rehab and that's my second option but for now I'm going to try soaking them in hot carb dip to clean and put new baskets and o-rings on them and see how it goes.

@Jerry Bransford , do you think cracked outer housing is grounds for replacement?

20190219_194624.jpg

20190219_194631.jpg

20190219_194640.jpg

20190219_194700.jpg

No, that outer rubber sheathe is not what keeps the gasoline inside.

Yes, I realize that but with most other kinds of parts, a cracked housing can point to another internal problem (swelling, freezing, overheating, etc). My experience with fuel injectors has been mainly from a manufacturing and testing perspective with FoMoCo. A crack like this would be cause for concern, even though it won't cause a fuel leak.

Look at the Ford injectors that is what I put in my stroker, they were affordable at $140 per set of 6...just ebay them. You can get the mopar number off of them and compare the flow rates to a comparable injector. There also used to be 2 common types of electrical connectors, ford has an adapter to go from the square plug to the oval injector. Injectors changed styles sometime in the mid to late 90's...There are also different spray patterns, the 4 hole used to be the best there is, I hear there is now a 6 hole. That is all I remember from a few years back. Tim

Oh and there are high resistance and low resistance injectors, and they are not compatible.

Last edited:
I have 2 injectors I will give you if they will work.. you will just need to find 4 more...

Thank you, sir. I'll keep that in mind for now. I'll seek expert advice about the cracks. If they're no big deal, then I'll just rebuild (or have rebuilt) the ones I took out. If any of them are not rebuildable, I will certainly take you up on your offer!

Yes, that's an option. I'm going to try cleaning and rebuilding first. They're oval-connector Deka injectors (you can see in the pics)