18V impact driver used as impact wrench

IPerkWVU

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Looking at a few 18v lithium battery powered Brushless Impact Driver and Drill sets. How do these drivers work as Impact Wrenches with the 1/2" adapters?

Milwaukee and DeWalt XRs are the brands I'm looking at....

Oh, are you asking how a 1/4" hex chuck style works for Jeep work instead of an impact with a 3/8 or 1/2 anvil?

A 1/4" hex chuck style is common for construction use which you need to drive a lot of screws and lag bolts. The bits can be swapped out quickly. With an adapter, like you mentioned, you can fit a typical socket onto the end.

I used one this way before I bought one with a 1/2" anvil. There are some negatives:

1) The adapters can be long and don't allow for the best access.
2) The adapters break since they are only 1/4". If you're planning on a big project, have a couple extra on hand.
3) They are not as powerful as a larger impact. This is idea for screwing into wood but not great for getting a bolt loose that's been rusted in for the last 20 years. They either won't get the bolt out, or they'll take many times longer (and put that much extra wear on your tools).

I have one of each for different types of work.

If you will be using an impact on sockets be sure to buy an impact set. They'll last longer and they won't shatter.

If you purchase an anvil style, you're going to want the hog ring style, not ball detent. Ball detent is for appications where you don't switch sockets often (aircraft) or absolutely can't drop a socket (nuclear).

They work but have nowhere near the power a 1/2” has. They are also typically smaller and able to be used in tighter spaces. I use one from time to time. Milwaukee makes a compact fuel 18 version that keeps the size down but also limits power. It just depends on what you need. I keep a fuel 18 3/8” impact in the Jeep while wheeling as it can handle 90% of what I would need on the trail.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeM
Ours works well. Used it on a Swiftwater Rescue Trailer during Hurricane Florence, glad we had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They work but have nowhere near the power a 1/2” has. They are also typically smaller and able to be used in tighter spaces. I use one from time to time. Milwaukee makes a compact fuel 18 version that keeps the size down but also limits power. It just depends on what you need. I keep a fuel 18 3/8” impact in the Jeep while wheeling as it can handle 90% of what I would need on the trail.
Good to know, right now I don't have any of the new lithium battery tools so looking to buy into a battery family, need a new drill for projects around the house also. Figured I'd buy a set like this now then a dedicated tool-only 1/2" wrench sometime soon down the road once I test out the capability of the 1/4 driver.

Figured I'd buy a set like this now then a dedicated tool-only 1/2" wrench sometime soon down the road once I test out the capability of the 1/4 driver.

That is a sound plan. I bought my stuff around holidays as places like ACME Tools usually have deals for free batteries or bare tools.

I have a Dewalt XR 20 volt max brushless 1/2 inch drive. That thing is powerful. It was a little pricey though. I disassembled my suspension with it when putting my lift on. You really want 1/2 inch for impacts. The one I have has different settings for torque.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-XR-...ss-Impact-Wrench-1-Battery-Included/999947862
If you don't use it everyday and only plan on doing limited work, you might choose only one. If you gave me a choice of only one, I would use the Milwaukee 3/8" 18v Fuel. I have 2 of those, the mid frame 1/2", the biggest 1/2" they made 3 years ago, and the most powerful 1/2" they came out with about 18 months ago all in 18V Fuel. 95% of the time we are using the 3/8" small one. It does 98 percent of what we need including tires on and off, all the shock bolts etc. The only thing we get the big one out for is control arm bolts, big trackbar bolts, pinion nuts, and occasionally stub shaft nuts.

If you will be using an impact on sockets be sure to buy an impact set. They'll last longer and they won't shatter.

That can't be stressed enough. If you use the Milwaukee 3/8", it will beat your chrome sockets to death. That is due to its very high hammer rate. It doesn't break many, but they sure get beat up where the square drive is. So much that they won't stay on the anvil any longer which is very annoying. All of larger version have a heavier slower hit and don't beat up the square drive nearly as much but they do explode a not more of them. Another thing is don't use any 12 point sockets for impact use if you don't have to. Good way to strip stuff out.

If you purchase an anvil style, you're going to want the hog ring style, not ball detent. Ball detent is for applications where you don't switch sockets often (aircraft) or absolutely can't drop a socket (nuclear).
Typically only impact sockets have the hole for the detent pin. I don't use the ball type.

Reactions: fuse
Good to know, right now I don't have any of the new lithium battery tools so looking to buy into a battery family, need a new drill for projects around the house also. Figured I'd buy a set like this now then a dedicated tool-only 1/2" wrench sometime soon down the road once I test out the capability of the 1/4 driver.
No matter what brand you get, try to stick with brushless motor versions like the Fuel stuff Milwaukee has. Milwaukee has both in a lot of tools, brushed and brushless. The brush stuff is just about not worth owning.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldditchdoctor
I have the Lowe’s Kobalt brushless Stuff. They work well, but I haven’t compared them to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter what brand you get, try to stick with brushless motor versions like the Fuel stuff Milwaukee has. Milwaukee has both in a lot of tools, brushed and brushless. The brush stuff is just about not worth owning.
Only looking at Brushless, that much I know. Most likely Milwaukee. Thanks!