KillerIsMe

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had nothing to do the other night so I went into town to the Bijou to see 1917. I heard nothing but good things about it and wanted to know what all the racket was about.

Welp, I saw it. And I have to say the movie is underwhelming from where I sat. The cinematography and the costumes were spectacular but the plot disappeared about 45 minutes in. For those who saw it, after THAT. Turned into an amorphous mass and I found myself thinking "just get it done with already".

Maybe I missed something. Anyone else see it?

This is one I'm planning on seeing. Appreciate the candid review. And please don't take this personally, but after I do see it, I'm really hoping I will disagree with you on it. I've been looking forward to it, and would hate to find it to be as underwhelming as you felt it was. Like you, I'm interested in seeing what others thought of it.

This is one I'm planning on seeing. Appreciate the candid review. And please don't take this personally, but after I do see it, I'm really hoping I will disagree with you on it. I've been looking forward to it, and would hate to find it to be as underwhelming as you felt it was. Like you, I'm interested in seeing what others thought of it.

I hope you like it. Apparently everyone did, and I didn't NOT like it. It's just that it started out as this movie and then changed to that movie. You'll see what I mean.

Reactions: Squatch
I had nothing to do the other night so I went into town to the Bijou to see 1917. I heard nothing but good things about it and wanted to know what all the racket was about.

Welp, I saw it. And I have to say the movie is underwhelming from where I sat. The cinematography and the costumes were spectacular but the plot disappeared about 45 minutes in. For those who saw it, after THAT. Turned into an amorphous mass and I found myself thinking "just get it done with already".

Maybe I missed something. Anyone else see it?

So, I am not the only one.

I kept saying "You Fucking Idiots" ...

Thankfully I didn't pay.

Yeah my brother raved and raved about it. It was good, but definitely underwhelming. Not a movie I’d pay to see again.

Yeah my brother raved and raved about it. It was good, but definitely underwhelming. Not a movie I’d pay to see again.

Started off really good and I thought it was going to continue with the story as it was. But then after the "incident" it kind of changed to a cross between Apocalypse Now and Gettysburg - the all-out confusion of Apocalypse Now and the wrong lead character of Gettysburg, a potentially great movie ruined by Martin Sheen playing Robert E. Lee. I got no love for Lee but he was supposedly a distinguished Southern gentleman and Sheen is far from that. Anyway, I thought maybe there was more "there" there than I was seeing.

Well it can't be as bad as Dunkirk was, just how long can a plane fly after it has run out of fuel? Oh and continue to fight?

Haven't seen it yet, but I came across this video that explains the logistics of filming an action movie with the "single take" method. Seems like a real pain in the ass:

Reactions: PCO6
Well it can't be as bad as Dunkirk was, just how long can a plane fly after it has run out of fuel? Oh and continue to fight?
Dam.. I haven’t seen 1917 yet but I bought Dunkirk the other day so when my wife and I goto our cabin we can watch it but I guess that sucked also

To be fair Dunkirk is a little odd on the first watch. *Not a spoiler* just an explanation of the layout of the movie.

There are three timelines that are all being told at the same time but with different paces and then they all come together at once. For the fellas on the beach it’s days, for the civilians on the boats it’s within a day and for the pilots it’s an hour or so. Once you get past the standard Christopher Nolan stuff Dunkirk did a good job (for a mainstream movie) on the accuracy of the equipment and situation. I thought it was pretty damn good. Looking forward to 1917 when it’s out of the theaters.

Reactions: Jamison C and Hog
Looking forward to 1917 when it’s out of the theaters.

Just my opinion but the best thing about 1917 is the big cinematography and I know I won't ever watch it at home on a smaller screen. Again, my opinion, but the story line and the acting (in particular the main character) are just not enough to carry the movie. I honestly don't know why it's so critically acclaimed. It seems like they ran out of period-piece plot after 45 minutes and from that point on it's one of those coincidence-heavy CGI action thrillers you've seen a million times. Maybe it's me but I was really looking forward to seeing it and was expecting so much more from the story.