1920's Style Speakeasy Basement Remodel

pc1p

I do all my own stunts
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Anyone do any major basement remodels lately and have some advice for me??

Background...
As some of you know, I've relocated back to the east coast (NEPA to be specific). After spending 16 years in the desert southwest, it was time to "come home" so to speak. Although I will definitely miss crawling in the rocks (and that's now what summer trips are for!), it has been nice to be in a place where I can walk outside in the summer and not die within 15 minutes and where an 81º afternoon is considered "a bit warm".

The house we found had almost everything we were looking for. A lake property (one of the few in the area with deeded lake rights and not just "lake access" like most in the area), with a huge sunroom, cheap taxes (comparatively), a decent sized lot (0.55 acres and I'm looking to buy the two plots next to me, which would bring our plot to over 1.22 acres), that is close to where I spent my high school years and close to friends, and with plenty of hunting, fishing and golfing nearby.

Walking outside and casting a line in the mornings has been something I've definitely been needing in life :)
IMG_4054.JPG

As much as we love the home, the house is a 1960-built "contemporary ranch", so it has all that you would expect of a house from this era: oak on oak, on oak, on oak, with 1/4 round oak trim to top it all off; pink tile bathroom (at least the main bath has been updated nicely); scalloped wood accents; and of course, so much gold and faceted glass lights that you think it was something out of a Miami Vice episode!

Much of it we are already addressing; I spent the better part of the first two weeks knocking out the old light boxes and replaced them with fan-rated boxes and installing matching ceiling fans. Also replaced the lights with matching fixtures - not a spec of gold in the house (except for the door hardware which I'm currently also replacing!). I spent most of the past two weeks removing unnecessary trim and prepping for paint, much to my wife's delight (she's excited to start decorating, especially with fall not too far away!).

All this work got me thinking about the basement. Although it's considered "finished", it's as badly dated as the rest of the house: wood paneling, light fixtures circa 1978, a massive brick fireplace with matching support-post brick facades, some weird compressed cardboard ceiling, and likely asbestos-containing "peel and stick" linoleum tiles...

Some pics as it stands now:

Wood fireplace, rusted shut, in the corner (behind boxes)...
IMG_4407.JPG

Corner opposite the fireplace (fireplace is to the right, staircase is to the left - both out of view):
IMG_4408.JPG

Closer shot of the same corner; if you look close, you can see an access panel with a simple latch in the paneling. This opening leads to the garage under BR#2 that was extended slightly to the garage. I think this was originally a wood and/or coal chute for the fireplace.
IMG_4410.JPG

Down the length of the basement - which is 31' long and ~16' wide from staircase to wall (about 13' from brick posts to wall). Across the room there are two doors (the one on the left is partially blocked in view by the brick post). The room on the right is the mechanical room; the one on the left if the laundry room.
IMG_4409.JPG

There are a few windows in the basement - all are below grade but have pop-outs so that they don't get filled with dirt. You can see the efflorescence crystals on the block here. Obviously someone tried dealing with the moisture in the past with a coating. From what I'm reading, this almost never works and any moisture issue needs to be handled from the outside (i.e. the source!).
IMG_4411.JPG

I'm going to spend most of this winter pulling the ceiling down, scraping up the flooring, inspecting the joists, cleaning up some old mold stains and efflorescence (this house definitely had a moisture issue at one time but appears to be doing well now - I think the addition of the ridge vent and new roof in 2019 was what helped!) and inspecting all the piping/wiring as the ceiling is exposed.

The Mrs has asked me for a budget, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do and that starts with what I intend to use this space for. In my head, I'm imagining it as a place to hang out for poker night with the guys and a place the kids can come down and hang out with their friends (the biggest issue with a ranch home is that everyone is on the same floor!). it would be a place where we could entertain guests but also just come down to relax ourselves. With that, a 1920's loft-style speakeasy is what came to mind for my "theme".

Here are some photos I've saved for inspiration:
IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

Before I get too far into the decor planning and finishing stages, I need to do some mechanical things:
- extend some gutters on the north end of the house to make sure moisture is far away from the foundation (all other gutters go to a common drain system and is sent to the road ditch)
- add an attic vent fan - which apparently keeps the basement air moving and prevents condensation
- add a small ductless heat-pump unit, to add some heat in the winter and also to remove moisture
- install a radon mitigation system in the mechanical or laundry room (we had it tested before we moved in and it was just slightly above the 4.0 pcu limit so now's the time to implement).
- replace the rusted/painted-shut windows (there are 3 total) or maybe just seal them up?
- fix the doors down stairs to the mechanical and laundry room - as well as the crawlspace to the water well (I think Stevie wonder cut the door jambs in this house!)
- clean and seal the dryer vent piping (which can add a bunch of moisture downstairs).

I'm hoping to have all the mechanical work done by next summer, so then I can start with the updates. I'm thinking of the following:
- a small bar on end nearest the mechanical room
- small couch near the fireplace
- updating the fireplace to a direct-vent LPG or an electric fireplace (would depend on what a chimney guy says we can do to ours)
- 6-8 person poker/game table where the window currently stands now
- brick facade on the wall (long wall) with 20's era paint or wallpaper on the others (paneling to be replaced with mold-proof sheetrock)
- a nice TV on the brick wall, visible from poker table and from 1-2 era-appropriate chairs across from it
- exposed ceiling joists
- recessed general lighting (for cleaning and day use) and ample "mood lighting" to keep it bright enough to enjoy without having to use the general lighting
- some old school arcades mixed throughout (Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc), including an authentic (if I can find one!) joker-poker or 5-cent slot machine

I would really like to put a small bathroom in the mechanical room or laundry room (or a new framed out section), but the ground is below the septic system, so I will need to do more research on pumper/grinder systems. Walking upstairs and all the way across the house to pee would be a PITA, especially during a card game with a bar/tap right next to the table.

Regarding the ceiling, most of the above have natural wood joists (or at least stained) and I'm leaning that direction. A thing I'm seeing lately is black or dark colored painted ceilings, which has a cool look and makes it appear taller. Haven't decided on this just yet, just something I've been seeing in my searches...
IMG_4358.JPG

I'm not sure what to do on the floor - I really like some of the "stained concrete" styles I've seen, as well as some of the marbled "epoxy" finishes. It obviously makes clean up easy but can be quite cold underfoot. My current floor to ceiling joint measurement is 7'5", so I do have some wiggle room for a small subfloor or even just a small insulator pad with some laminate laid overtop.

As a designer I can offer a little here...

I too like the darker exposed joists. I wouldn't go black but a dark cool grey is best. You'll be amazed how much dust can accumulate on those and it really shows on black vs a few shades lighter.

If you expose the joists and stain the concrete keep in mind acoustics. A good rule of thumb is that you want at least 2 of the 6 sides to have some level of acoustic absorption... preferably at 90 degrees from each other. 3 is even better.

As for stained concrete. The look can be great. Layering the stains is the way to go but that takes some time and talent so if you have a small room for a furnace or similar i'd use it for practice.

Also getting the concrete clean (oil free is a key) is a key to making it easy to apply and getting it to last. Looks like you have some glued down vinyl (asbestos!) tile on that floor. Getting that up cleanly will be a key. Also a moisture test of the concrete will let you know if it needs to be sealed to get the stain to work properly.

If you do a bathroom there are systems that will pump the sewage/water up to your waste lines above. I would strongly suggest that you have an emergency power source connected to it (most of the more modern solutions come with batteries) so you won't have an issue in the event of a prolonged power outage. A backflow prevention system would also be something to look into. Not massively expensive but not a place I'd skimp.

Good luck!

Just don't HGTV-ize the place. They virtually *always* strip all the character and soul out of an older house because things are perceived as "dated", whatever that really means and why is that bad? You're after a "dated" look yourself, after all. Myself, I just can't abide the "open concept" floorplans and stainless stee - excuse me, I mean STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES that no home on HGTV ever escapes!

We just spent quite a bit of time, and some money too - reversing the kitchen "open up" that was done to our 1963 house - and replacing/reskinning the STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES that we just cannot abide. Then added a tin ceiling in the kitchen for a completely vintage look.

Awesome basement space! I think all your ideas sound great. Just don't do any sliding barn doors or lame ass word art and you'll be good.

I always loved the basement poker room in Goodfellas. Maybe a recreation of that would work well with the 70's motiv you have. Good luck!🍻

main-qimg-44652b164cb8dca5beec9e1f0dacdda1.jpeg

One thing might be of inspirational use is the ol' steampunk/cast iron look I think would work well in a basement like yours. Shelving, lighting, tables, etc etc. Just an idea when i saw your sample pics.

View attachment 271519View attachment 271522View attachment 271523

Sometimes it can be a bit much but possibilities seem endless and fairly easy.
These are great - I've saved these two photos in my "inspiration" links... I like an eclectic mix for spaces like this. It's supposed to be a sort of hodgepodge of decor that blends together.

All hail Pennsylvania, best kept secret in these United States, no wild fires, draughts, rising sea tide chewing up property, border issues, or mass influx of California chuckleheads, plus a whole lotta mountains, trees, rivers, lakes, beauty, history, culinary brilliance & culture…, welcome home.

Yea, it’s cold in January & February & they use salt…, that’s our penance.

I like the ideas you have, & while I don’t have a basement I do have a semi-subterranean family room with lots of bricks, tile & bomber leather seating, this room has served my family well for almost 20 years:

basement 2.JPG

basement 1.JPG

basement 3.JPG
basement 4.JPG

bathroom in the back, laundry room to the right

basement 7.JPG

I put this thing through its paces in years gone by, not so much anymore

basement 8.JPG

Quadrafire pellet stove, one of my better moves:

basement 9.JPG

Just don't HGTV-ize the place. They virtually *always* strip all the character and soul out of an older house because things are perceived as "dated", whatever that really means and why is that bad? You're after a "dated" look yourself, after all. Myself, I just can't abide the "open concept" floorplans and stainless stee - excuse me, I mean STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES that no home on HGTV ever escapes!

We just spent quite a bit of time, and some money too - reversing the kitchen "open up" that was done to our 1963 house - and replacing/reskinning the STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES that we just cannot abide. Then added a tin ceiling in the kitchen for a completely vintage look.
Awesome basement space! I think all your ideas sound great. Just don't do any sliding barn doors or lame ass word art and you'll be good.

I always loved the basement poker room in Goodfellas. Maybe a recreation of that would work well with the 70's motiv you have. Good luck!🍻

I'm more of a "This Old House" guy than an HGTV guy. Admittedly though, I do like me some Fixer Upper episodes (for exactly the reasons you mentioned - they're good about modernizing without stripping the house of what makes that house unique). It could just be semantics here, but I would say I'm going for a "themed" room, not necessarily a "dated" room. I get what you're trying to say though and it's a very valid point. People, especially those with shows on TV, are notorious for ruining the "feel" and character of a home. Taking a turn of the century Colonial Revival and then completely gutting it to turn it into some SoHo style loft inside is silly and ruins that house IMO.

Defining what "dated" means is actually a challenge since it's so subjective and probably has a bunch of nuance depending on the subject at hand. At a very basic level, I would consider something to be "dated" when you can look at it and guess the month and year it was built with some reasonable accuracy. I would note that "dated" differs from 'periodization'; "dated" is probably most easily characterized by something that had an extremely fast rise in mainstream popularity, that was generally short-lived. My guess is that most folks who have recently installed 9' tall barn-doors in their kitchen/dining room will have it called "dated" in the somewhat near future.

Periodization, or simply a "period", is a bit different for me and isn't necessarily a bad thing. A "period" is a slower progression of style over a much longer period of time. There are overall period "trends" but they span decades (or sometimes even longer). A "Craftsman" style house is a good example. As a non-house example, if you see a pick-up truck from the 50's, you can probably guess it was built in the 50's without much knowledge of cars in general. Maybe someone who wasn't familiar with cars would guess the 1940's or perhaps 1960's. They'd be reasonably close to guessing when that truck was made based on styling cues and overall form. This would different from something that is "dated". For a fashion example, if you look at Disco Stu, you can easily figure out a specific part of what decade he was inspired by...

artworks-000196655677-23funt-t500x500.jpg

This isn't of course to say that any current trend is a bad thing. Something even like the previously mentioned barn doors may be somewhat short-lived, but are generally easily reversible and able to be updated to follow trends (even if that trend is going back to classic options). Paint color is probably another example where you have flexibility (right now the grey, greige, and natural tans are in style, but it wasn't long ago that everyone was doing bold "accent" walls and not long before that, pastels were the rage).

I think it's when people go overboard and completely remodel their house with modern trends that they tend to regret that decision in the future, particularly if that remodel or update removed a lot of character (like what is common on many of the HGTV shows). If you walked in my house with your eyes closed and I moved you around from room to room, you'd probably guess at least four different decades if I had you guess when it was built. We are trying to add some modern touches (both aesthetic and functional) while really just adding some consistency. For us, "updating" the house does not mean turning it into a 2021-build. We have arched doorways, individual rooms (which I love - I'm with you @Zorba in that I hate the "open spaces" trend since the mid 00's where the kitchen, living room, sitting room, dining room, and den all are one giant space!), cast iron baseboard heaters, and many other features that are "classic" 60's Ranch. We are keeping those... the brilliantly polished brass trim rings around the recessed lighting and wood paneling in the basement? Not so much!

Reactions: Rick Flair
All hail Pennsylvania, best kept secret in these United States, no wild fires, draughts, rising sea tide chewing up property, border issues, or mass influx of California chuckleheads, plus a whole lotta mountains, trees, rivers, lakes, beauty, history, culinary brilliance & culture…, welcome home.

Yea, it’s cold in January & February & they use salt…, that’s our penance.

I like the ideas you have, & while I don’t have a basement I do have a semi-subterranean family room with lots of bricks, tile & bomber leather seating, this room has served my family well for almost 20 years:
PA certainly has its appeal - I'm surprised at how many people have asked me "why" when I tell them that we just recently moved back. Granted, most of the people that have asked me have never left the county they were born in, so I think it really is a matter of life experience (or lack thereof).

I like your family room - the natural light is great. If I had something like that, I'd likely be leaning a very different direction for my update. As a matter of fact, there probably isn't too much I would change aesthetically speaking. In my space, I have to deal with a bunch of functional updates (i.e. old mold/moisture issues, poor insulation, radon mitigation, cracked/distorted windows, etc), so timing wise, it's the best time to incorporate some aesthetic changes as well (or at least plan for them).

View attachment 271599
That almost looks more like a board and batten style vs my ceiling to floor paneling. I'd honestly probably would work with it, adding in some modern elements and giving it a minor refresh (and pulling that clock off the wall!).

We built last year in NEPA and the basement is above ground, no real old style character so we took a more "clean" modern look. Like a purple felt pool table. 122" projection screen (pic taken before screen was mounted).
basement4.jpg
basement1.jpg
basement2.jpg
basement3.jpg

Reactions: pc1p
We built last year in NEPA and the basement is above ground, no real old style character so we took a more "clean" modern look. Like a purple felt pool table. 122" projection screen (pic taken before screen was mounted).
Very clean and looks very similar to my friend's recent build (except he went with a more white wall - I prefer your color better, especially with the good lighting, as it adds some depth). If we did a new build, it probably be similar to how I'd go. I am trying to keep some of the character of our house intact - mainly the brick fireplace and posts (though I may repurpose the brick on the posts somewhere else) - while adding functionality and making it fun. A new build opens up a ton of possibilities - so much so that it can be a bit daunting really!

I was tempted by a new build but with the considerable delay and wild cost of raw materials, it wasn't a smart move. Also, until the county gets their shit together in regards to property taxes, I probably won't build new. My buddy mentioned above went from a pre-existing 1950's build with tasteful updates over the years (~$210k FMV) to a new build (~$320k FMV) and his taxes went from $600 a year to $6600 with a similar sized lot. Lackawanna County hasn't reassessed in over 50 years, so existing builds get a huge "discount" vs new builds depending on when they were built. In the case of my 1960 house, it was reassessed in 1997 when they added the sunroom and extended the garage, so I'm essentially getting a 24-year discount on my tax bill.

Here's a good example of "dated" styling that will almost certainly never, ever resurface - a hard-wired NuTone brass clock with black and red balls for number-marks.
IMG_4428.JPG

Sadie (our old Goldie) looking at me like "WTF are you doing now?"...

IMG_4427.JPG

Needless to say, this will go - HOWEVER - I'm likely going to steal the movement parts and would like to build something in its place. Maybe something that pays homage to our time in Arizona (after all, it's where we were married, started a family, started our careers, etc).

Here's a good example of "dated" styling that will almost certainly never, ever resurface - a hard-wired NuTone brass clock with black and red balls for number-marks.
View attachment 271646

Sadie (our old Goldie) looking at me like "WTF are you doing now?"...

View attachment 271647

Needless to say, this will go - HOWEVER - I'm likely going to steal the movement parts and would like to build something in its place. Maybe something that pays homage to our time in Arizona (after all, it's where we were married, started a family, started our careers, etc).
Don't be so sure about that. Those nutone clocks can fetch a pretty penny in certain areas of the country. Does the house have the full intercom system etc.?

Reactions: Rick Flair and pc1p
Very clean and looks very similar to my friend's recent build (except he went with a more white wall - I prefer your color better, especially with the good lighting, as it adds some depth). If we did a new build, it probably be similar to how I'd go. I am trying to keep some of the character of our house intact - mainly the brick fireplace and posts (though I may repurpose the brick on the posts somewhere else) - while adding functionality and making it fun. A new build opens up a ton of possibilities - so much so that it can be a bit daunting really!

I was tempted by a new build but with the considerable delay and wild cost of raw materials, it wasn't a smart move. Also, until the county gets their shit together in regards to property taxes, I probably won't build new. My buddy mentioned above went from a pre-existing 1950's build with tasteful updates over the years (~$210k FMV) to a new build (~$320k FMV) and his taxes went from $600 a year to $6600 with a similar sized lot. Lackawanna County hasn't reassessed in over 50 years, so existing builds get a huge "discount" vs new builds depending on when they were built. In the case of my 1960 house, it was reassessed in 1997 when they added the sunroom and extended the garage, so I'm essentially getting a 24-year discount on my tax bill.
We built in Pike county and finished just before all the shut downs. My builder says his cost of lumber went up by $30K on my house if we were to build now. Also the the DEC has cut off all new building permits in our community due to too much sewerage usage. It seems with covid everyone moved up here full time and sewage went from a 100,000 gallons a week to over 400,000. They expect the builidng moratorium to last at least 5 years, good for me as the house price is up over a 100K more now. Taxes were a bit higher than I expected at $5800/year but still a third of what I am paying here in Long Island.

• Wow
Reactions: Rick Flair and pc1p
Some good points from the OP. Myself, I either like something or I do not - I don't give a damn what's "in", "out", "dated" or whatever. I didn't particularly care for the "One RED wall" thing a few years back - but it certainly beats the damn "everything grey" (or grey tinted) thing that's going on now. 4 years ago, when we moved into this house, the VERY first thing that went was the grey painted hallway. I felt like I was onboard the "USS Merritt Island". Flippers down the block are currently trying to sell their overpriced flip. Exterior color? You guessed it! Grey. One of our tenants wanted to paint a room. Grey again. *blech*
And my wife and I both DETEST with a purple passion the HGTV mandated STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES. Now *THAT* is something that will look "dated" in time. I'll take black *or* white - wife likes black. Hell, I'd take "Harvest Gold" or "Avocado" or even "Copper Tone" over fookin' stainless - uh, I mean STAINLESS! Ugliest trend EVER in home design - I live in a house, not the local Taco Bell! Its even worse than the rack full of black stereo equipment nonsense that replaced woodgrain. Give me woodgrain please, its a living room, not MetalicA's recording studio!

Last edited: