1947 Bantam T3-C Jeep Trailer

TJ's-TJ

TJ Enthusiast
If you are interested in something a little different, our build thread will live on now that my son has found a new "accessory" for his Jeep.

1590765372637-png.png

1947 Bantam T3-C Civilian 1/4 Ton trailer. My wife's uncle had it sitting behind his barn. Gave it to us to save...

Bantam built many of the Military Jeep 1/4 Ton trailers for WWII. When the war was over, they built the civilian version for a few years with left over parts.

We will document the restoration in our build thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tjs-tj.10996/page-13

That’s awesome. What are the plans for it? Just a restoration or an overlanding style trailer?

That's great! Little piece of history that'll come in handy.

That’s awesome. What are the plans for it? Just a restoration or an overlanding style trailer?

Current plan is to rebuild it into a usable trailer, we are not too concerned with keeping it authentic at this point. He has some ideas for making it into an overlanding trailer and I think we will try to add in some features to be able to add stuff in the future.

Reactions: TWiG01
A lot of people don't know that Bantam built the first military jeeps in WW 2.
They couldn't handle the volume needed so Ford & Willys got the contracts.

That story has been repeated so often that it now has a ring of truth even though there has never been any confirmation or documentary proof that Bantam's production volume capability was a factor in the decision.

By 1940, American Bantam had been in financial trouble and on the verge of bankruptcy for several years, which is a more likely reason that Bantam was passed over for the contract. The government contract for what would become known as the jeep was thought of by Bantam executives as a way to save the company. (Bantam received contracts to build trailers and torpedoes instead.) A cynic would probably also observe that members of the Roosevelt family were heavily invested in Willys-Overland during that same period.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeepins
If you are interested in something a little different, our build thread will live on now that my son has found a new "accessory" for his Jeep.

View attachment 166465

1947 Bantam T3-C Civilian 1/4 Ton trailer. My wife's uncle had it sitting behind his barn. Gave it to us to save...

Bantam built many of the Military Jeep 1/4 Ton trailers for WWII. When the war was over, they built the civilian version for a few years with left over parts.

We will document the restoration in our build thread:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tjs-tj.10996/page-13

Have fun.

Is the data plate still readable? What is the serial number? (My verified 1946 is number #9466).

If so, restore it in place and do not mess with the original rivets. The data plate is the only way to prove the provenance of your trailer and you can't do that if they are not the original rivets.