1997 door hinges and bushings

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
So doing a few small projects on my TJ this week. I picked up a hinge pin bushing kit last week at my local off road shop due to a couple of mine being shot and wiggly doors. Watched a couple videos to make sure I knew the general concept and started in on it. Long story short, things didn’t go like they should have. I bent one lower hinge trying to drive the stock bushings out and gave up more or less on the others when I was on track to do the same for those. The removal tool didn’t really fit into the hinge to drive out the old bushings. So I looked around online and a few different kits say they don’t work for ‘97 TJ’s but can’t find a replacement that is specific to the ‘97 either? I have to buy a new hinge size should I may as well buy a full set from another year? What’s different about the ‘97 hinges?

So doing a few small projects on my TJ this week. I picked up a hinge pin bushing kit last week at my local off road shop due to a couple of mine being shot and wiggly doors. Watched a couple videos to make sure I knew the general concept and started in on it. Long story short, things didn’t go like they should have. I bent one lower hinge trying to drive the stock bushings out and gave up more or less on the others when I was on track to do the same for those. The removal tool didn’t really fit into the hinge to drive out the old bushings. So I looked around online and a few different kits say they don’t work for ‘97 TJ’s but can’t find a replacement that is specific to the ‘97 either? I have to buy a new hinge size should I may as well buy a full set from another year? What’s different about the ‘97 hinges?
I just ordered these for my 98 and should be here thursday.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07813YKVY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Chris
Wow I had no clue about this! Sorry TJ newbie! I just ordered those as well, my drive door totally sags and I was trying to figure it out the other day. In hindsight I now see where the bushings are just completely cashed out! Mine is an 06, hope they work and solve the problem.
I just read that the removal tool doesn’t work on older models

They work for 97s. The bushing just has to be cut down to length. I can find the tool and measure if you need. But removing the original busing has to be done from the top. The tool will not work as it's pushing on solid hinge metal from the bottom.

Reactions: Ephry73
@LittleTankTJ That makes so much more sense. Odd that some have that shoulder down in there and others don’t. This is the first I’ve seen of someone actually saying what is different. I read a lot of reviews that gave the product 1 star and just said it didn’t fit and complained about the product, never giving consideration to the chance of a different hinge style. Thanks for that!

Well I installed 2 of 4 today. Driver door lines up a little bit better. My bottom driver hinge looked like it had 2 old bushings in it. Took me 40 minutes to hammer it out with a flat head screwdriver. Then when I went to place the new one in it broke, didn’t realize they were plastic. Thankfully I saved when I’d the old ones in good shape and placed it there. I didn’t even tackle the bottom hinge on the passenger side.

I know this is old, but it's helpful. Just learned this the hard way myself. Attaching an image of the measurements I just took.

The problem with the set I bought (here) is that they have too much play in the upper half, and won't fit at all in the lower half.

Those with 97s, which sets did you find that fit well, once trimmed? The ones I bought have too much play. Tried to fatten them up with some black duct tape, but the sleeve shattered while trying to trim it down anyway.

Edit: I see that mine were ABS. Will try some Delrin bushings next.

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 18.19.48.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Edit: I see that mine were ABS. Will try some Delrin bushings next.

I bought these Kentrol Delrin bushings. Higher quality, and didn't shatter when I trimmed them down to size. Still, had to cut carefully, while twisting the bushing with my other hand. If I had just clamped down and cut straight through, they may have splintered.

These also fit better than the cheap ABS set that I posted previously. Those had too much play when inserted, and yet were still too thick to fit into the lower half of the hinge.

I had to use some touch-up paint on the top of the hinge, where it was scraped away when removing the original bushing. Cleaned out the inside of the hinges with a bore brush. Scraped surface rust off of the pin and its threads with a Dremel wire-wheel. Then smeared some grease on the outside of the bushing to keep moisture from getting in between it and the hinge.

Reactions: Jeep 541X