1997 TJ cranks but won't start

bobbyc13

My 1997 TJ will crank but will not start. I was sure it was the fuel pump by the way it ran the last couple times I drove it. It turned over one cold morning but did not start and the battery started clicking. That evening, I jumped it off and it turned over and eventually started but it idled rough at first and then smoothed out. I drove it in the garage so I could look at it more. It hasnt started since.
The jeep sat for a few days before I could work on it but the schrader valve didnt have any pressure. I changed the fuel pump without any luck. I do have plenty pressure now but I am not sure if the pressure bled off before or if the pump was actually bad. The gas gauge didnt work, so that hopefully fixed the issue with that but I am not sure as it has a full tank but it does read full.
Next I checked for spark. My spark tester does show spark. I thought it was a weak spark, so I changed the coil. I then bumped the starter until the timing mark was by the pointer and checked the position of the rotor. It was pointed at #1.
I sprayed a little starting fluid into the throttle body to see what would happen. Nothing.
I've been reading that the crankshaft positioning sensor can cause the crank - no start issue, but the threads say that if its bad, then there is no spark nor does the fuel pressurize. I'm willing to buy one and try it, but its getting pricey chasing ghosts.
Any ideas before I take it to the local mechanic?

If you're unsure of the gas level it wouldn't be a terrible idea to put a few gallons in. Also, have you had the battery tested/thoroughly cleaned the terminals and grounds?

Thanks for the replies. I didnt have a scanner but I read how you can get the codes via turning the key off and on. I'll try that in the morning.

The gas tank is almost full. I filled it up a couple days before it died, but I drove it at least 40 miles on this tank, so I dont think its bad gas.

The battery is clean and has been fully charged with my charger.

Update: It started!

I took the battery out to use it to power the winch to load it on the trailer. Hauled it to my mechanic buddy and unloaded it from the trailer. Put the battery back in and it started. After a couple four letter words, my buddy thinks its the crankcase position sensor and that it and the PCM must have reset after the battery was disconnected. He is going to change it out, hopefully tomorrow.

I was mad that it started after taking it to the mechanic, but grateful that it isnt something serious.

Thanks for the help!