1997 TJ Dana M35 3.55 Rebuild Help

JEEP GC

OK Guys...Dropped a spider gear on the concrete and failed to notice a fracture before I installing it. The spider broke causing damage to all the gears including the pinion and open carrier. After recovering from my emotional break-down I find myself in a re-build funk and need opinions and options.

Overview:
New crate 4.0L 5-spd 4X4 w/ 700 miles
New AX-15
Front Dana 30
Rear Dana M35 / 3.55
RC SYE
RC Double Cardan shaft
RC 4" lift
33" Mickey T's
Added weight is a spare with front and rear barricade bumpers

For the few miles I drove it after all of the major installs the TJ ran great but felt sluggish...especially going up small hills on pavement. I've talked with some that tell me that I need to re-gear as the Dana 35 will labor to turn the 33's and another diff failure is imminent. People on this forum have told me that most here are running 33"s and bigger with the Dana 35 and have no problems. I'm inclined to believe that the Dana 35 can handle the equipment but I think that re-gearing and or a locker would improve performance. I would prefer not transition to a Dana 44. The lockers below are what I have been looking at but would appreciate any opinion or guidance.
I would even consider the ARB Air locker if that is the best option.

OR SHOULD I JUST QUICK MESSING AROUND AND BUY A Dana 44 WITH NEW GEARS AND LEAVE IT AT THAT?

Or should I just stick with OEM stock. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
AirLockers are definitely the best and I love my ARB. If I were you, I would try and stick with a selectable locker in the rear because I have heard (but have no experience) that auto lockers can get sketchy with ice/snow on the ground. You could always upgrade to an S35, which would include stronger shafts and a rear locker, and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking anything.

AirLockers are definitely the best and I love my ARB. If I were you, I would try and stick with a selectable locker in the rear because I have heard (but have no experience) that auto lockers can get sketchy with ice/snow on the ground. You could always upgrade to an S35, which would include stronger shafts and a rear locker, and you wouldn't have to worry about breaking anything.

Last edited:
The only people reliably running 33s and bigger with the Dana 35 have the Super Dana 35 kit. That should be your starting point.