1997 TJ making strange squeak sound

Trashpanda

Hey,

Recently my grandfather gave me his old jeep (1997, 4.0L, I6,60,000miles 5speed manual) and it was left untouched for about 10-13 years. The jeep he gave me has started making a squeaking sound and after some research I THINK that it has something to do with the water pump system, either the pulley system or the bearings. Is there anyone out there who can help me diagnose this issue?
Thank you for reading.

(Sound is attached)

Attachments

• IMG_0737.MOV
    28.4 MB
Idler pulley or tensioner pulley. Look down a couple of threads and we were just talking about getting some on Rock Auto. I'd replace the belt while you're at it.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...0-and-cant-find-the-larger-replacement.67368/
Take the belt off...15mm just below the power steering pump on the pulley below it...then the 15mm bolt between the water neck and PS pump.

Feel both the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley...or just replace both or just their bearings.

-Mac

Idler pulley or tensioner pulley. Look down a couple of threads and we were just talking about getting some on Rock Auto. I'd replace the belt while you're at it.

Take the belt off...15mm just below the power steering pump on the pulley below it...then the 15mm bolt between the water neck and PS pump.

Feel both the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley...or just replace both or just their bearings.

-Mac

Thank you for the suggestion, I will take a look at that and hopefully that will work.

Reactions: macleanflood
Thank you for the suggestion, I will take a look at that and hopefully that will work.

It's probably something in the pulley system. Those two are the usual suspects but it could be the alternator, AC compressor or power steering.

Take the belt off and run it for 30 seconds of you want more confirmation.

-Mac