1997 TJ no crank no start

Blackjeep1997

I have been looking at how to fix this problem for awhile now and have found no answers even on the forums of this site, they gave me a good place to start, but i have had no results. I have tested the battery and starter and they both work fine. I recently changed the ingnition switch and the actuator for it. I also bypassed the clutch saftey switch that was not the problem. The starter gets good voltage and the battery is grounded fine. Im sure its some sort or wiring problem but im not sure where to look anymore. Any and all help would be appreciated. Ive used a multimeter to check the starter and im not sure why its not starting. If anyone has any advice let me know. I know this has been disussed before but ive had no luck with the results said before.

Are the battery clamps and terminals clean and are the clamps tight?
You said you are getting good voltage to the starter.
Do you get voltage to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition switch?
What is the voltage to the starter before, during and after cranking?

Are the battery clamps and terminals clean and are the clamps tight?
You said you are getting good voltage to the starter.
Do you get voltage to the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition switch?
What is the voltage to the starter before, during and after cranking?
Ya my friend helped me out and it got good voltage. I cleaned the terminals cause i thought it might be a problem. I dont remember exactly but it was just below 12 before the start and around 11.3 during the crank the battery is 2 years old and may need a change. The odd thing is it starts up randomly sometimes when i turn it over so im not sure why it may do that.

With voltages below 12V before and 11.3V during cranking; that battery has at least one bad cell and needs to be replaced even though it is only 2 years old.
With you living in Cleveland where it can get very COLD. Very Cold and Hot weather can decrease the life expectancy of a battery.
Get yourself a good quality battery.

I was in a similar boat recently. Have you checked to see if any of your fuses are blown? Was it doing anything before this to make you think it might break down?
I switched around the relays and nothing changed i will check the fuses and make sure theyre all good. It was running fine the night before then just stopped the next morning only 12hrs later. I didnt notice anything wrong with it before this. It randomly will start up sometimes and im not sure why

With voltages below 12V before and 11.3V during cranking; that battery has at least one bad cell and needs to be replaced even though it is only 2 years old.
With you living in Cleveland where it can get very COLD. Very Cold and Hot weather can decrease the life expectancy of a battery.
Get yourself a good quality battery.
Ok will do! Thanks for the help

Is this a manual or Auto?

If it is manual with the key on the on position.
Remove the starter relay and there should be one pin will have 12V which is what comes from the battery. if it does jump it to the other terminal and see if the starter turns over and starts. If it does trace back to the key you may have a key ignition switch issue which seems to be fairly common.
I currently have a button in place for mine. Splice it right in-between the yellow start wire off the ignition switch.
The button sends power to the coil side of the relay.

I attached the service manual...check page 66..You are jumping D10 to D14.

Attachments

• Jeep-TJ-Wrangler-1998-System-Wiring-Diagrams.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 159
Here is another diagram of the ignition system

1642732456249.png

If my Jeep wasn't covered in snow and covered with a tarp with another 2 feet of snow around it on the opposite side of my house I would take a video of it.
If you can wait till spring I will do it then :)

Everybody is looking at the starter but if it cranks, I would tend to think it's a spark/fuel/air issue. When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump kick in? Do you have fuel pressure at the rail? I would check for spark after verifying you have no fuel delivery problems.

Does it crank at all? when it randomly starts, does it stay running? When you turn the key to run/on, do the dash lights all come on, and the gauges go through their zero sequence?

If yes, try bumping the ignition switch from run to start a few times and see if it'll start... if so you may just have a bad switch actuator, or dirty contacts in the switch.

I have been looking at how to fix this problem for awhile now and have found no answers even on the forums of this site, they gave me a good place to start, but i have had no results. I have tested the battery and starter and they both work fine. I recently changed the ingnition switch and the actuator for it. I also bypassed the clutch saftey switch that was not the problem. The starter gets good voltage and the battery is grounded fine. Im sure its some sort or wiring problem but im not sure where to look anymore. Any and all help would be appreciated. Ive used a multimeter to check the starter and im not sure why its not starting. If anyone has any advice let me know. I know this has been disussed before but ive had no luck with the results said before.
My 2006 just started doing the same thing. Have you solved the problem?

Artsifrtsi, I took your suggestion and went to youtube. I found this video which looks to explain it very well. I will start this project when it's not so dang cold. Thanks,

Curious at timestamp 14:51 you can see the black cable connector(bottom left). On My 98 the yellow wire is the start wire off the actuator switch.
Is it the same on this year?
If so then you should be able to test this fairly simply with a multi meter. Test that wire while it is still connected. When the key is in the start position you should have 12V.