1997 to 2001 tub swap ????s

mouth

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys. I'm grating ready to do a tub swap. Literally tomorrow. The tub I'm getting is a 100% complete 2001. Mine is a 1997. We had plans just to unbolt all the necessary stuff and just lift off in one piece.

My main question that will I need to rob the engine harness from my 1997 TJ and replace the 2001 body going on my 1997 frame?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain that the wiring harness on the 2001 will have some differences. How many, I'm not sure. However, I know that they swapped over to upstream O2 sensors in 2000, so you can count on there being different O2 sensor connections, among other things.

So yeah, I'd swap over your 97 harness for sure, otherwise I fear you'll encounter some differences.

Reactions: mouth
Do you think I'll need the entire harness? Or jus the under the hood harness and thru the fire wall to the main box. I went ahead and already removed that section of harness and saved it.

Do you think I'll need the entire harness? Or jus the under the hood harness and thru the fire wall to the main box. I went ahead and already removed that section of harness and saved it.

I would hook up the 97 harness that you just mentioned and then see what else needs attention. Possible interior wiring. You are using the 97 PCM right? Say yes! It is what your engine expects.
Possibly some issues with the old harness and (new) instrument cluster. I just can't remember what my 2000 had.
Good luck!:)

Hey guys. I'm grating ready to do a tub swap. Literally tomorrow. The tub I'm getting is a 100% complete 2001. Mine is a 1997. We had plans just to unbolt all the necessary stuff and just lift off in one piece.

My main question that will I need to rob the engine harness from my 1997 TJ and replace the 2001 body going on my 1997 frame?

For certain the engine harness won't work. The 97 engine has a distributor and coil, the 2001 has a coil pack with 3 coils and a cam synchronizer to drive it.

I would replace the entire harness and see what the cluster does. If it acts up, get one from a 2001.

Reactions: Chris
For certain the engine harness won't work. The 97 engine has a distributor and coil, the 2001 has a coil pack with 3 coils and a cam synchronizer to drive it.

I would replace the entire harness and see what the cluster does. If it acts up, get one from a 2001.
OK Thanks! The coil pack setup slipped my mind totally.

At least I have both jeeps side by side.. I hate to lose my 68k cluster. More work than I thought.

Well hell. I couldn't remember when jeep changed away from a distributor--

Well hell. I couldn't remember when jeep changed away from a distributor--
97-99 distributor
2000-04 cam synchronizer
05-06 Oil Pump Drive Assembly

I need to double check the year they switched from the cam synchronizer to the OPDA though.

The good news is the OPDA blocks will work with a distributor so that part is backwards compatible. The distributor blocks and heads are not forward compatible due to the lack of mounting bosses for the coil pack and the water pump is wrong and not just a little wrong, the block has a bubble on the side of it for the impeller starting in 2000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Since I have a 2004, I'm thankful that occurred in 2005 if we're thinking about the same thing.
I verified and corrected my post. The 04 does use the cam synchronizer in place of the distributor or the later OPDA.

The sad part is the dealer no longer sells the OPDA which sticks you with the aftermarket offerings neither of which I'm thrilled with. But after swapping several out, you do need the Mopar sensor that plugs into the side of them and if you don't have one as a spare from the dealer, get one in case they decide to discontinue it as well. Same goes for the Rubicon speedo sensor.

Reactions: Stinger
I would hook up the 97 harness that you just mentioned and then see what else needs attention. Possible interior wiring. You are using the 97 PCM right? Say yes! It is what your engine expects.
Possibly some issues with the old harness and (new) instrument cluster. I just can't remember what my 2000 had.
Good luck!:)
Yes sir

All great info guys. I ended up bailing on that tub. Other guy wanted me to do the work to get his running after the swap.

So I'm on the hunt for a bare frame. Possibly a LJ tub again. Easy stretch for me at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stinger