Brake lights and blinkers work but my tail lights and dash lights don't

Dell380

1997 wrangler 4.0 Sport, haven't had it but a month or two and it has some sort of electrical problems. The tail lights and dash lights don't work, every time I pull the switch to turn on the lights the #1 fuse blows. Changed out the Light switch today and it didn't solve the problem. My brake lights and blinkers work but my tail lights and dash lights don't. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

You have a short somewhere ..@JamisonC is really good on these...the @ sign notifies him if I spelled it right.

I'd pull the cluster and work from there back and check the light circuit...it's solveable but you are going to have to hunt it down.

It's likely the tail light circuit is part of it from what you described. As in a short at the tub, etc.

The resource section of this site had the factory service manual, I’ve used the wire diagrams there and a tool like power probe 3 and the same company’s wire tracer to run down wiring issues like these. They suck and take a lot of time. Brake lights can be the multifunction switch, I’ve also has the wire plug at the multifunction switch breakdown and have to be replaced, you might check from rubbing and abrasion on the wiring to the rear tail loights to see if the have been pinched. Good luck

You have a short somewhere ..@JamisonC is really good on these...the @ sign notifies him if I spelled it right.

I'd pull the cluster and work from there back and check the light circuit...it's solveable but you are going to have to hunt it down.

It's likely the tail light circuit is part of it from what you described. As in a short at the tub, etc.

That's probably right but I'd start looking at the back and work my way forward. It just seems more likely for something to happen back there, unless someone was playing around in the dashboard.

Reactions: AndyG
That's probably right but I'd start looking at the back and work my way forward. It just seems more likely for something to happen back there, unless someone was playing around in the dashboard.
Makes good sense.

Remove the tail light bulbs from their receptacles and examine the inside for oxidation; then disconnect the housings from the body and examine the wiring harness.
With the bulbs removed from the receptacles; try turning the lights on and see if the fuse blows again.
This will assist you with a starting point for your troubleshooting.

Reactions: Sputter
Check the rear tail light bulb sockets and how the bulbs are inserted into them. Some idiots can manage to force the bulbs in backwards which causes problems.

You have a multi meter? You're going to need it. Something like this a multi meter is even better than a test light.
You will be using the (DC) selection on your meter.
First thing visually check those rear bulb sockets. Do you have reverse lights back there?
If they all appear ok...check the wiring to make sure with your light switch on you have power to those wires in your rear tail light housings.

Trailer hitch wiring? If so check that whole thing and where it was tapped into the rear harness. Those connections.

Wire problem tracking takes time

Remove the tail light bulbs from their receptacles and examine the inside for oxidation; then disconnect the housings from the body and examine the wiring harness.
With the bulbs removed from the receptacles; try turning the lights on and see if the fuse blows again.
This will assist you with a starting point for your troubleshooting.
Pulled all of the bulbs and the fuse still blew. put all of the bulbs back in and the front passenger side blinker wasn't working and then started working out of no where. I'm guessing there is a possible short between there?

Reactions: CharlesHS
You have a multi meter? You're going to need it. Something like this a multi meter is even better than a test light.
You will be using the (DC) selection on your meter.
First thing visually check those rear bulb sockets. Do you have reverse lights back there?
If they all appear ok...check the wiring to make sure with your light switch on you have power to those wires in your rear tail light housings.

Trailer hitch wiring? If so check that whole thing and where it was tapped into the rear harness. Those connections.

Wire problem tracking takes time
Don't have trailer hitch wiring, I took that off when I got it. As far as I know Yes I do have reverse lights. guess i'll be spending all day with a multi-meter.

Pulled all of the bulbs and the fuse still blew. put all of the bulbs back in and the front passenger side blinker wasn't working and then started working out of no where. I'm guessing there is a possible short between there?

With the bulbs removed from the sockets and the power off to the parking lights; test the hot lead for the parking lights to ground .
IF you read a path to ground; then you definitely have a short to ground.
You will need to trace the wiring harness back and examine the wiring for chafes or screws that have punctured the insulation.

Reactions: Blondie70
Did you have problems after removing the wiring?

Just turn your key on...not running!!!!...and put it in reverse. Walk back and look
To be honest I'm not sure if I did or didn't but I don't think I did. Yep, brake lights, reverse lights and blinkers work around back!

With the bulbs removed from the sockets and the power off to the parking lights; test the hot lead for the parking lights to ground .
IF you read a path to ground; then you definitely have a short to ground.
You will need to trace the wiring harness back and examine the wiring for chafes or screws that have punctured the insulation.
Not sure if its related or not but whenever I turn the turn switch right, both blinkers where blinking fast like one was about to go out, then they started blinking at a normal rate, then on the way home from the parts store it started blinking at the fast rate again even though I haven't touched them. sadly I don't have a multi meter until my friend gets off work.

Not sure if its related or not but whenever I turn the turn switch right, both blinkers where blinking fast like one was about to go out, then they started blinking at a normal rate, then on the way home from the parts store it started blinking at the fast rate again even though I haven't touched them. sadly I don't have a multi meter until my friend gets off work.
When you say both blinkers..do you mean front and rear of the same side and what is telling you this? The dash indicators?

Or are you saying both left and right indicators are flashing fast even if you go left or right wuth the switch.

Did you really examine the area you eliminated the hitch wiring. ?

Are any of your indicator lights LED? Front or back.

Are your front side marker lights working and properly? The ones in the fender flare.

With the intermittent flashing you described during driving; that sounds as though you have a oxidized connection terminal in one or both front/rear bulb receptacles.
The bulb receptacles are easy to clean and verify they are working properly.
Once you have confirmed the condition of the bulb receptacles; once your friend arrives use the multi meter to continue checking grounded power leads for the bulb receptacles.

When you say both blinkers..do you mean front and rear of the same side and what is telling you this? The dash indicators?

Or are you saying both left and right indicators are flashing fast even if you go left or right wuth the switch.

Did you really examine the area you eliminated the hitch wiring. ?

Are any of your indicator lights LED? Front or back.

Are your front side marker lights working and properly? The ones in the fender flare.
OK so been busy but found some time to work on the jeep. The short is in the radio. not sure how it's wired up wrong but I'll figure it out. and the blinker problem was taken care of, I cleaned the receptacles and got new bulbs.

OK so been busy but found some time to work on the jeep. The short is in the radio. not sure how it's wired up wrong but I'll figure it out. and the blinker problem was taken care of, I cleaned the receptacles and got new bulbs.
What is the radio doing?

Your light problem sure seems like a wire is grounding itself to a piece of metal. Perhaps a bare wire touching the metal frame work in the radio compartment.

Not accusing anyone but most radio installation jobs by the actual owner constitutes twisting wires up and electrical tape. Sometimes they use those blue quick splices. Total garbage components. Wiring always needs a true crimp. Not just smashing the terminal down on the wire but a true crimp. Put shrink tubing on...then connect to other terminal. Heat the shrink tubing then smile. All done.

BTW...the above way if done right will literally break the metal terminal before a wire would pull out....if done right!!

Glad you're narrowing this down.

What is the radio doing?

Your light problem sure seems like a wire is grounding itself to a piece of metal. Perhaps a bare wire touching the metal frame work in the radio compartment.

Not accusing anyone but most radio installation jobs by the actual owner constitutes twisting wires up and electrical tape. Sometimes they use those blue quick splices. Total garbage components. Wiring always needs a true crimp. Not just smashing the terminal down on the wire but a true crimp. Put shrink tubing on...then connect to other terminal. Heat the shrink tubing then smile. All done.

BTW...the above way if done right will literally break the metal terminal before a wire would pull out....if done right!!

Glad you're narrowing this down.
Thing is there isn't anything grounding out that I see. No bare wires and everything was done right with a true crimp. The radio works just fine, lights up and plays music like it should. As long as the radio is unplugged the fuse wont blow but as soon as its plugged in the fuse will blow. I would go over everything but I cannot find the wiring diagram for the radio itself. It's a Pioneer S31BT if that helps. I'm not the one who put it in.