1997 Wrangler TJ tub-off restoration build

Still cleaning my shop after the frame swap, gonna take me a day for each week of work, looks like your in the same boat. LOL

Still cleaning my shop after the frame swap, gonna take me a day for each week of work, looks like your in the same boat. LOL
its a lot of work man. I do few hours here and there after work. been in for 6 months now, but am almost done. wait i shouldn't say done!...

Last edited:
Jeep's looking great! What did you do for the fender flares as far as prep and paint? The flares on my '98 are horribly faded looking and need refreshed.
I used a base black paint, and sprayed it at low psi so that it doesnt get too shinny. I then just left it like that, no clear coat. Came out good.

some people use flat or matt black in the spray cans. Didn't want to go that route because i also had to paint the hard top, so spay cans was going to take forever. If you doing just the flares you may be okay with a just spray cans.

I used a base black paint, and sprayed it at low psi so that it doesnt get too shinny. I then just left it like that, no clear coat. Came out good.

some people use flat or matt black in the spray cans. Didn't want to go that route because i also had to paint the hard top, so spay cans was going to take forever. If you doing just the flares you may be okay with a just spray cans.

Thanks for the reply! I'm just going to do the flares so I'll take a look at my spray can options...

Taking the jeep home today..will finish it up slowly whn the weather start to warm up.. for now all the big jobs are done..those 31" tires look so small. Hope a 33" will fill in the gas lil more.

My plan is to:
- get a nice front and rear bumper
- upgrade to 33" tires
- install side steps
- touch up and buff the paint
- work on the interior

...and more as it comes to mind.

20200118_155202.jpg

20200118_155238.jpg

Taking the jeep home today..will finish it up slowly whn the weather start to warm up.. for now all the big jobs are done..those 31" tires look so small. Hope a 33" will fill in the gas lil more.

My plan is to:
- get a nice front and rear bumper
- upgrade to 33" tires
- install side steps
- touch up and buff the paint
- work on the interior

...and more as it comes to mind.

View attachment 135131

View attachment 135132
Looks great. You really brought this Jeep back to life. Do you have a name for it yet?

You have the same hood alignment issue where the forward inside corners meet the grill that I have so it seems to be common. Did you attempt to play with the gaps at all.

You have the same hood alignment issue where the forward inside corners meet the grill that I have so it seems to be common. Did you attempt to play with the gaps at all.
Yes i have..i tried all.. i will end up just moving a lil to the other side and split the difference.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Have you resolved the alignment issue?

Have you resolved the alignment issue?

Nope, when trying to adjust the gap between the cowl and the hood is to wacked out. I also have an alignment issue trying to square up the grill to the frame and I have a crooked line between the lower grill and the sway bar cover. Almost a 1/2 in difference ..

Awesome job of bring this back from the dead!

Awesome job of bring this back from the dead!
Thanks..yes, we can say that it was dead. The sad part is that the previous owner was still driving it without knowing how dangerous it was getting by the minute. Outside looked okay while deep inside was falling apart.
I end up having to cut off and replace everything that had rust, then treat it inside out.
Is it worth it? YES. Would i do it again? YES

Last edited:
I remember well how 10-15 years ago we YJ Jeepers were watching restoration threads like this, envious of the TJ Jeepers with their rust-free rigs. Awesome work, man.

That TJ looks practically brand new. Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but have you decided on which bumpers you are going with or will you be sourcing some stock bumpers in the meantime?