1998 Jeep TJ 2.5 automatic to 5.3 4L60E swap complete

Aaron Paul

Hey everyone,

I am at the tail end of my swap and wanted to post this to help others if possible. I will try and follow up with some pictures. Any questions please message me or email me and I will get back to you ASAP. Posting as there were some holes in the data I collected prior to my build. Wiring was the biggest hole which I closed.

Data as follows.

1998 TJ SE wrangler, 110K miles, all original wiring and drivetrain. 2.5L with automatic trans.

Donor: 2004 Silverado 5.3 with 4l60E trans. I rebuilt the motor and purchased a GM rebuilt trans

Swap parts: Novak motor mounts, trans to transfer case adapter, trans mount, 4wd shift cable,

Radiator: Superior with fan

Driveshafts: Adams

Exhaust: Magnaflow with fabricated piping - 2 x 2.5 into 1 x 3 exit pipe

Shifter: Art Carr/Winters integrated into existing Tuffy console

Gauges: Autometer tach, speedo, volts, fuel, oil psi, water temp in dash & trans temp/ fuel psi at pillar

Fuel system: Walbro 255 and Autometer sending unit in existing tank

Harness and CPU: Howell

Wiring: Jeep harness partial, Howell Harness

Motor: Stock 5.3 with the following additions: Melling oil pump, timing chain, all new seals and gaskets, Camaro oil pan and exhaust manifolds. New plugs, wires, knock sensors. Mechman alternator. New water pump and steering pump. New starter. Heads cleaned and new seals installed buy machine shop. Block, injectors, intake all cleaned.

I have all the receipts and part numbers. Finishing up some loose ends and looking to get it on a local dyno to tune.

Instagram : 98wranglertj Some pictures there as well.

Thanks for checking my build out!!

If there is something specific, let me know!

thumbnail.jpg

How much total do you think you will end up having into it?

Roughly:

6k for jeep last year (Stock jeep with no rust)
6k for lift, wheels, tires, line x, bumpers/rails (last year)
6K for swap parts ( purchased prior to build)
1.5 K for Motor and trans (made some back selling off parts truck)
4k for labor (needed a place to work on it during the winter and had some help setting drivetrain)

Spread out the buying so it wasn't too bad...

I would say 25-30 K all in with the items I want to do below.

I still want to do a 44 rear with discs, PRP seats, and change out rims to beadlocks.

It's something fun to drive and actually completing it on my schedule was an accomplishment:)

Looking good, I’m very impressed! Thanks for detailing all of this as well. This is literally the exact same engine / transmission swap I was wanting to do in my TJ.

Looking good, I’m very impressed! Thanks for detailing all of this as well. This is literally the exact same engine / transmission swap I was wanting to do in my TJ.

I wanted a car motor but could not find anything locally that was nice. Truck was a good buy and made me some money. If you do it, message me with any questions!

Do it, you won't regret it! The sound when you get on it is awesome!

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
Mine is pretty much the same build! Truck motors are better for the Jeeps for that low end torque. If you haven't already, take care of the 4L60E weak points. I did that before I put it in the Jeep since I already had it apart for the output shaft. Jeep is a completely different animal after the swap. I had to go through CA smog stuff as well to make it street legal swap!

Good job on getting it done!!

Reactions: Blondie70 and KCsTJ
Mine is pretty much the same build! Truck motors are better for the Jeeps for that low end torque. If you haven't already, take care of the 4L60E weak points. I did that before I put it in the Jeep since I already had it apart for the output shaft. Jeep is a completely different animal after the swap. I had to go through CA smog stuff as well to make it street legal swap!

Thanks man, appreciate it! My trans was a GM reman with a 3/36. If it starts having issues I will have it beefed up. Didn't want to screw with it too much as it has a warranty. They are a dime a dozen around here. I may have a spare built and toss it on the self!

Reactions: KCsTJ and ac_
Makes sense regarding the warranty. Plus we don't do high rpm shifts so stock will last a while as is. (y)

Reactions: KCsTJ

How did you pass smog test in Bay Area? I would love to add a small block in my LJ.

If there is something specific, let me know!

I have a couple of requests if you don't mind.
How did you modify and install your accelerator pedal? A couple of photos would be great.
Would it be possible to get a couple of photos of how you did the exhaust? Cats and such.

I already have a 5.3 from a 2005 Silverado 1500 and am waiting on my order from Novak to come in. I have a list of questions that I am trying to answer prior to starting and these are just two of them.

Thanks,

Buz