1998 Jeep TJ 2.5 automatic to 5.3 4L60E swap complete

I ran Camaro SS manifolds. 2.5" each side to a y pipe. 3" from y pipe to single cat to dynaflow muffler. 3 inch out the rear. I am only running upstream cats and have downstream programmed out. Use the existing rear TJ tailpipe as a template for your new one. Front is all heat wrapped to y pipe as it is close to oil pan.

So did you keep the stock computer on the firewall and if so why?

Yes, stock computer still uses the 1st plug. Left one when looking head-on. I would have to pull the wiring diagram, but there are some wires there that I wanted to retain, airbag, etc.

My head is going to explode with this wiring stuff. Can you do me a favor and unplug the last plug from the computer and see is your jeep still starts and runs?

My head is going to explode with this wiring stuff. Can you do me a favor and unplug the last plug from the computer and see is your jeep still starts and runs?
It will start and run. My motor is independent and has a stand-alone harness. I could start it on an engine stand if I needed to. If you want to go through the wiring, message me your # and I will try and call this weekend to talk through it. We could do zoom as well.

Reactions: Chris
A few photos

300F820E-9953-4C7A-8830-4CD5F67145E4.jpeg

E354B4CE-46C7-4A1A-8CFF-CEA26D12AB77.jpeg

D859DC73-D543-4E80-A77F-F087CDEEAEB8.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
Wiring is a big topic. Read up on thiss. All my stock gauges work, to tie in, you will need the wiring diagram.I actually found a mechanic that specialized in wiring, he showed me, easier that it looks.
Fuel lines, replace with 6an, I used Russell fittings, a larger fuel pump, wasbro along with a 58 psi corvette regulator. The stock 2.5 pump won’t cut it, the 4.0 I hear will mostly. 5.3’s need 58 psi to run.
Gen 3 engines are cheaper to wire and mod than a Gen 4 FYI. That’s the only thing I would have like to change. Exhaust, this is custom, I am a welder so that saved me a few bucks as well as the motor mounts ( Novex are weld in, easy to mock up and direct fit )
Rear diff, your Dana 35 will work for now, but plan on upgrading to a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8/ G2 etc.
I used Novek Conversations, check out their site, lots to learn.
Not to scare anyone off, but I did mine with all new parts, little things like upgrading the Transfer case linkage to cable, so, a $8000 TJ is close to $30k and there is no way I could get 12k for it. It’s a hobby, don’t go into it with a $ figure.
A 4.0 TJ Sahara/Rubicon are great choices for an LS Swap, they come better equipped as more parts are adaptable.
i am around if you need some advise.
Good luck

Reactions: Wildman and KCsTJ
No, but I could go through it if you wish, let me know.
sad point is, I believed Novak Conversions and purchased what they suggested. Don’t do this $$$$$$
Advance Adaptors has a similar ls package, again do your research or you will have 30 k in a 10k buggy, lol.

• Sad
Invoice sheet from Novak for a 1998 Jeep TJ LS Swap, 5.3 gen 4, with 5 speed. Keep in mind that this is just the start. Doesn't include tranny as the AX5 won't work, and the cost of the motor. Wiring was another $1200, and exhaust 2 1/2 to 3 inch was close to a grand. Lots of little parts. If your Jeep has a Dana 35 in the rear, consider upgrading to a Dana 44 or 8.8. Expect to have 15k on hand to complete your ride. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• NovakSales TJ LS Swap 5.3.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 202
Hey everyone,

I am at the tail end of my swap and wanted to post this to help others if possible. I will try and follow up with some pictures. Any questions please message me or email me and I will get back to you ASAP. Posting as there were some holes in the data I collected prior to my build. Wiring was the biggest hole which I closed.

Data as follows.

1998 TJ SE wrangler, 110K miles, all original wiring and drivetrain. 2.5L with automatic trans.

Donor: 2004 Silverado 5.3 with 4l60E trans. I rebuilt the motor and purchased a GM rebuilt trans

Swap parts: Novak motor mounts, trans to transfer case adapter, trans mount, 4wd shift cable,

Radiator: Superior with fan

Driveshafts: Adams

Exhaust: Magnaflow with fabricated piping - 2 x 2.5 into 1 x 3 exit pipe

Shifter: Art Carr/Winters integrated into existing Tuffy console

Gauges: Autometer tach, speedo, volts, fuel, oil psi, water temp in dash & trans temp/ fuel psi at pillar

Fuel system: Walbro 255 and Autometer sending unit in existing tank

Harness and CPU: Howell

Wiring: Jeep harness partial, Howell Harness

Motor: Stock 5.3 with the following additions: Melling oil pump, timing chain, all new seals and gaskets, Camaro oil pan and exhaust manifolds. New plugs, wires, knock sensors. Mechman alternator. New water pump and steering pump. New starter. Heads cleaned and new seals installed buy machine shop. Block, injectors, intake all cleaned.

I have all the receipts and part numbers. Finishing up some loose ends and looking to get it on a local dyno to tune.

Instagram : 98wranglertj Some pictures there as well.

Thanks for checking my build out!!
Looks great. Do you recall the source/PN for the Art Carr shifter? Novak recommended a Lokar but I'm flexible. Take care!

Hey everyone,

I am at the tail end of my swap and wanted to post this to help others if possible. I will try and follow up with some pictures. Any questions please message me or email me and I will get back to you ASAP. Posting as there were some holes in the data I collected prior to my build. Wiring was the biggest hole which I closed.

Data as follows.

1998 TJ SE wrangler, 110K miles, all original wiring and drivetrain. 2.5L with automatic trans.

Donor: 2004 Silverado 5.3 with 4l60E trans. I rebuilt the motor and purchased a GM rebuilt trans

Swap parts: Novak motor mounts, trans to transfer case adapter, trans mount, 4wd shift cable,

Radiator: Superior with fan

Driveshafts: Adams

Exhaust: Magnaflow with fabricated piping - 2 x 2.5 into 1 x 3 exit pipe

Shifter: Art Carr/Winters integrated into existing Tuffy console

Gauges: Autometer tach, speedo, volts, fuel, oil psi, water temp in dash & trans temp/ fuel psi at pillar

Fuel system: Walbro 255 and Autometer sending unit in existing tank

Harness and CPU: Howell

Wiring: Jeep harness partial, Howell Harness

Motor: Stock 5.3 with the following additions: Melling oil pump, timing chain, all new seals and gaskets, Camaro oil pan and exhaust manifolds. New plugs, wires, knock sensors. Mechman alternator. New water pump and steering pump. New starter. Heads cleaned and new seals installed buy machine shop. Block, injectors, intake all cleaned.

I have all the receipts and part numbers. Finishing up some loose ends and looking to get it on a local dyno to tune.

Instagram : 98wranglertj Some pictures there as well.

Thanks for checking my build out!!
Did Adams modify your driveshafts or custom fit new ones? Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks great. Do you recall the source/PN for the Art Carr shifter? Novak recommended a Lokar but I'm flexible. Take care!

Depending on what center console you have or plan to use will dictate how you will mount the shifter.

WOD is a good vendor to buy a Art Carr/Winters shifter from.

https://www.wideopendesign.com/winters-shifter
This is a Winters shifter installed ion a GenRight center console.

20211211_074729.jpg

You buy the shifter based on the transmission you are going to be using, that is if they offer a kit for your transmission.

20211212_172038.jpg