1998 Jeep Wrangler 2.5l Manual Engine Swap

ShaneMK

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5l with a manual transmission. I think I’m going to swap the engine, I’m going to put a stroked 4.0l so around a 4.7l. I was just getting y’all opinions about everything I will need to do.

I know I’ll need a new ecu, wiring harness (harness needs to have cruise control, ac, and manual transmission)

I know I’ll need to figure out the mounting once the 2.5l is out because the brackets are different if I’m correct.

I have no idea if I can use the same transmission or not, if I do use the same transmission I feel like I’d need to rebuild it to make sure it’s good and strong.

I will also probably be regraring because right now I have 35s and I need new gearing, so I was wondering what kind of ratio y’all think.

I was also wondering what recommendations y’all have of engine components pistons, different heads or should I get them redone with bigger valves, like what’s everything I should do and any parts recommendations.

This will be my first engine swap, and first car engine rebuild (I do this on outboard boat motors) so I was just wanting to get as much help and advice as possible. Thank y’all so much for helping!

You will need to ditch the AX5 for a different transmission so count on driveshaft and mount changes as well.

I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5l with a manual transmission. I think I’m going to swap the engine, I’m going to put a stroked 4.0l so around a 4.7l. I was just getting y’all opinions about everything I will need to do.

I know I’ll need a new ecu, wiring harness (harness needs to have cruise control, ac, and manual transmission)

I know I’ll need to figure out the mounting once the 2.5l is out because the brackets are different if I’m correct.

I have no idea if I can use the same transmission or not, if I do use the same transmission I feel like I’d need to rebuild it to make sure it’s good and strong.

I will also probably be regraring because right now I have 35s and I need new gearing, so I was wondering what kind of ratio y’all think.

I was also wondering what recommendations y’all have of engine components pistons, different heads or should I get them redone with bigger valves, like what’s everything I should do and any parts recommendations.

This will be my first engine swap, and first car engine rebuild (I do this on outboard boat motors) so I was just wanting to get as much help and advice as possible. Thank y’all so much for helping!
Good Morning,

I'm very interested in this as I'm planning the same swap. How did it go ? Any advise? Thank you