1998 TJ 2.5 check engine light

JD 2510

Hi everyone,
A little back story, Last spring My wife got a very good deal on an abandoned 1998 TJ SE. I have been reading here for info and tricks the last year. Any it needed a lot of work. One big problem was a broken stud in the manifold which turned into a cracked manifold. This past winter I replaced the Manifold, studs and gasket. Now as it is a summer toy we have been driving it it wants to throw a check engine light. I have no reader and I have tried some of the tricks with thew dash and key and only get 2.4. Now it runs fine, plugs look good seems no change from last year. Is the computer just adjusting or do I have to look further. It never threw the check engine light last year when we got it going again. Thanks for your input Steve

Most auto parts stores will check your obd ii for free. Or buy a $10 bluetooth obd2 scanner on Amazon and download free/cheap software.

X2 to this. Take it to any auto part store and they'll scan it for free and tell you the code.

Report back once you get the code!

I have not had a chance to take the TJ to Oreilly's yet but had it out for a two hour ride tonight and it ran great and no check engine light. i hope next week to get it checked.

Hi
The check Engine light came on again today. i was in the city so i stopped and got it checked. PO 420 is the code that came up, for the cat. converter. We got it a year age and drove it some but not much last year and no codes showed. It had a stud broke off on the manifold and a loud exhaust leak. This past winter I tore it down and when i got to the exhaust manifold it was all cracked out in the center on both sides so i replaced the manifold and studs/bolts. Now I am getting the po420 cel. Is it a O2 censor, Cat or the computer getting used to the new exhaust system. It runs as good as a 2.5 l can. I had it up to 70 mph today. Thanks for the help.