1998 TJ - Family Truckster

dmr22

TJ Enthusiast
I have been a Wrangler fan for a very long time and finally two weeks ago, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 1998 TJ with the 4.0 and an automatic transmission. The vehicle came with the Sahara package as well. It has 143,xxx miles on it and has a rebuilt title. It has been on the road since the rebuild for about 6 years and has been a reliable vehicle for the prior owners. Routine maintenance has been done on the vehicle but it has certainly been used. Overall, the vehicle has all the pieces needed to be a great Jeep for my family.

Immediate plans are to pull the carpet, apply monstaliner to the interior, black seat covers, 4.25" zone combo lift, 33" tires with new 15" wheels, and POR 15 the underside. The plans after that are to be decided.

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

Reactions: Squatch
The first thing I had to do was remove the hilarious rear tire cover and take off the stock side steps. I also did a review of the vehicles needs and changed the oil. After the Jeep got a quick bath, it was time to get to work. The interior was gutted and given a very thorough cleaning which included shampooing the seats. The carpet and roll bar padding will not be going back on. The seats will be reinstalled with Quadratec Diver Down neoprene seat covers. I also washed the Jeep while on jack stands with the wheels removed in order to prepare the under carriage for a coating of POR 15.

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

fullsizeoutput_2e1d.jpeg

Reactions: Squatch
I came home from work a couple of days ago and it looked like Santa had been to my house. I have been slowly installing my Zone 4.25" combo kit. Body lift and motor lift are done. I have also got the frame coated in POR 15.

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

I was able to spend about an hour in the garage tonight but I am at a stand still because I am having trouble getting the drivers side lower control arm re-installed. I have included a picture. If anyone has any suggestions to help me, that would be great! It seems the entire front end needs to be pulled forward but I can't seem to budge it.

IMG_3092.JPG

Are you replacing the control arms with adjustable ones, or just stock replacements?

I always suggest replacing one control arm at a time. I made the mistake of disconnecting all of them when I replaced my stock control arms with Currie adjustable control arms. What a mistake that was... It was a nightmare to get them all back on. Had I just done them one at a time, I could envision it being much easier.

I finally got it back together by having a friend help to wiggle the axle around while I positioned the control arms in place, one at a time.

Reactions: DWLJ
Are you replacing the control arms with adjustable ones, or just stock replacements?

I always suggest replacing one control arm at a time. I made the mistake of disconnecting all of them when I replaced my stock control arms with Currie adjustable control arms. What a mistake that was... It was a nightmare to get them all back on. Had I just done them one at a time, I could envision it being much easier.

I finally got it back together by having a friend help to wiggle the axle around while I positioned the control arms in place, one at a time.

Hey Chris, I did remove both lowers at the same time. I had very little trouble getting the passenger side back in but last night the drivers side was fighting me pretty hard so I decided to take a breather, think about it, and post on here. This morning I got up before work and was able to use a ratchet strap to pull the axle forward enough to get the lower control arm back in. Should be good to go now, I hope...Haha!

Reactions: Chris
I came home from work a couple of days ago and it looked like Santa had been to my house. I have been slowly installing my Zone 4.25" combo kit. Body lift and motor lift are done. I have also got the frame coated in POR 15.
I'm always amazed when I see a Jeep with all four tires off, on jack stands...I never would have the nerve to crawl under a vehicle without at least two tires still on it, and preferably three...that's just me...

I'm always amazed when I see a Jeep with all four tires off, on jack stands...I never would have the nerve to crawl under a vehicle without at least two tires still on it, and preferably three...that's just me...

After years of working on and racing cars I don't even think twice about crawling under them anymore. I ALWAYS make sure I use jack stands and shake the vehicle around to make sure everything is solid.

Reactions: Squatch and PCO6
Sounds good so far. You may want to reconsider the lined tub. Your TJ ends up louder, things clank and roll around, dirt gets ground into the liner, and it gets hot as hell on your feet. My plan was the same until I ran bare floor for a short time. I ended up putting Bed Rug front and rear. Decreased road noise, cooler and more comfortable on your feet, is easy to clean and/or pull out, and looks better.

Sounds good so far. You may want to reconsider the lined tub. Your TJ ends up louder, things clank and roll around, dirt gets ground into the liner, and it gets hot as hell on your feet. My plan was the same until I ran bare floor for a short time. I ended up putting Bed Rug front and rear. Decreased road noise, cooler and more comfortable on your feet, is easy to clean and/or pull out, and looks better.

The carpet that was in the Jeep was in very poor shape so my thought was that I would remove it and bedline the interior. If I don't like it I can definitely add the Bed Rug afterwards.

Had a very productive Thursday evening and Friday. I was able to get the tub sanded down, chassis saver applied to the driver and passenger floor boards where some surface rust started to appear as a result of tub plugs missing and moisture getting trapped between the carpet and the floor, and applied two coats of Monstaliner. I also finished up my Zone 4.25" combo lift and set the front end. I went ahead and put the oem wheels back on so I could drive it to verify that there are no vibrations. I wanted to hold off putting the new wheels and tires until I could verify there wasn't and vibrations caused by the new lift.

I won't be able to work on it again for a couple days but I am hoping to get the interior reassembled on Monday or Tuesday so I can drive it. Once I verify there are no vibrations, the new wheels and tires will go on and this phase of the project will be finished!

Since I have the dreaded 3.07 gears and I am low on Jeep $$ I am thinking about getting some axels off a 4 cylinder to put in. Any opinions or thoughts on swapping?

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and kball05
Finished up the lift and interior. Finally got my wheels on and the Jeep back on the ground. I took it out for its maiden voyage and had no vibrations!! I am really happy with the Zone lift, everything went together very well and the ride is vastly improved. I have some little stuff to take care of on it but for the most part, this phase of the Family Truckster is done. I also can't believe how quiet the KO2's are on the road. They are a very aggressive looking tire but drive great on the pavement!

ecfa59252fcc8eca0df6a0f2c862b682.jpg
9ca632bb677fe7a0f89e86ebc5935164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished up the lift and interior. Finally got my wheels on and the Jeep back on the ground. I took it out for its maiden voyage and had no vibrations!! I am really happy with the Zone lift, everything went together very well and the ride is vastly improved. I have some little stuff to take care of on it but for the most part, this phase of the Family Truckster is done. I also can't believe how quiet the KO2's are on the road. They are a very aggressive looking tire but drive great on the pavement!

View attachment 18078View attachment 18079

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding! I particularly love that rear shot!

Reactions: dmr22